Derby

sahawk04

I'm wondering if Iowa could use Derby in short yardage situations much like Florida did with Tebow his freshman year. They are about the same size, Tebow was 6-3 230 his freshman year and Derby is 6-4 220. In the Brad Banks junior and senior years they had some draws and running plays for the quarterback so its not like they would be doing something they have never done before. This is assuming Derby doesn't redshirt, which he probably will.

Stanzi should and will take 100% of the meaningful snaps next season. No reason to rely on a true freshman in key situations, that is not something this staff would ever consider and should not either. Win with your best on the field and that is what #12 gives us.

Stanzi should and will take 100% of the meaningful snaps next season. No reason to rely on a true freshman in key situations, that is not something this staff would ever consider and should not either. Win with your best on the field and that is what #12 gives us.

Being a freshman shouldn't have anything to do with it. Wegher was a true freshman and the team relied on him in key situations. You don't look at it like it is taking snaps away from Stanzi. They are running plays with the threat of a short throw. It would just be another element for defenses to worry about.

Sorry but I do not see one advantage to this at all. While Wegher did a tremendous job in 2009 he saw the field like he did because of RB injuries. If we have that same problem at QB in 2010 it will be a loooong season. Either way, this has zero percent chance of happening in 2010.

Why wouldnt he be redshirted? If he wanted to play right away he should switch to Safety.

I agree Derby's chances of playing QB next fall is near zero unless something unthinkable happens and this to lose the top three QB's on the current roster.

Has Derby enrolled at Iowa for the spring semester? I heard he wanted to enroll early to participate in spring practice and get a jump start. If this is the case he may be planning not to redshirt. Derby would need to change positions to have any chance at all to play next fall (not including special teams).

I don't think it's very likely either. But Florida also had a 3 year starter at QB too in Chris Leak. It's a good comparison.

I'm wondering if Iowa could use Derby in short yardage situations much like Florida did with Tebow his freshman year. They are about the same size, Tebow was 6-3 230 his freshman year and Derby is 6-4 220. In the Brad Banks junior and senior years they had some draws and running plays for the quarterback so its not like they would be doing something they have never done before. This is assuming Derby doesn't redshirt, which he probably will.

Just realized this when reading your post. Never put it together ... but Stanzi is 6'-4 218, while Derby is 6'-4 220. Derby is more of a runner no doubt, but crazy to think they are virtually the same size.

Latest posts