Derby Suspended Two Games

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
IOWA CITY, Ia. – University of Iowa football player A.J. Derby has been suspended for two games as a result of an incident over the weekend.
“A.J. Derby will serve a two game suspension as a result of his poor decisions this past weekend,â€￾ said Iowa Head Coach Kirk Ferentz.
Derby, who had been listed as Iowa’s number two quarterback, has seen limited action in the team’s first four games.
The Hawkeyes (3-1) will play at Penn State (4-1) Saturday in a game televised by ABC/ESPN at 2:36 p.m. (CDT).

My thinking is that the team was given a please stay out of trouble this weekend speech after Thursday's practice.

If it was a game week, I'd figure it a one gamer.

Maybe the competition between Derby and Wienke is close enough that the coaches can make a statement without taking a hit in the depth chart.

We all know if anything serious happens they pull the redshirt off Jake R.

Maybe the competition between Derby and Wienke is close enough that the coaches can make a statement without taking a hit in the depth chart.

We all know if anything serious happens they pull the redshirt off Jake R.

If you mean serious as in Vandenburg, Weinke and Derby are all out with injuries then yes I agree. They would then pull Rudock's redshirt.

If Derby OR Weinke is in we probably have big problems anyway. Seems like a nonfactor at this juncture.

sorry I am not familiar enough with emoticons to convey my actual meaning. It was a joke but I think he is better than the other two.

For all you Derby should play defense proponents, I hope it doesn't come to this, because it means Vandenberg gets hurt:

If JVB goes down these next 2 games, Weinke doesn't get it done, requiring Rudock to step in this year, and Rudock does well, he may become the No. 2 QB moving forward. If Ferentz has to burn Rudock's redshirt this year (something I'm sure he doesn't want to do) and he plays up to the position, then why bring Derby back to QB? They will have too many QBs clustered at the same eligibility level. The Hawks are better off at that point getting use out of both Derby and Rudock, by having Derby move to defense.

I hope this possibility doesn't play out.

For all you Derby should play defense proponents, I hope it doesn't come to this, because it means Vandenberg gets hurt:

If JVB goes down these next 2 games, Weinke doesn't get it done, requiring Rudock to step in this year, and Rudock does well, he may become the No. 2 QB moving forward. If Ferentz has to burn Rudock's redshirt this year (something I'm sure he doesn't want to do) and he plays up to the position, then why bring Derby back to QB? They will have too many QBs clustered at the same eligibility level. The Hawks are better off at that point getting use out of both Derby and Rudock, by having Derby move to defense.

I hope this possibility doesn't play out.

I don't get any argument for Derby to LB etc. He is a RS Fr, Jake is a TR Fr. So, no matter what they are only going to be seperated by 1 year. If Derby is the next QB in line then only 1 year of production from Ruddock. If Ruddock is the future, I don't see why Derby is still at QB. If they both stay at QB (assuming that Ruddock is as good as everyone thinks) then someone's talent is going to be wasted for a majority or all of their careers.

It would suck if JVB and Weinke suffered a minor injury and they had to burn Rudocks red shirt becasuse of Derby's actions.

looking at his mug shot i am guessing that KF got some further details of the incident that contributed to a stiffer penalty.

Stiff penalty? So a guy who wasn't likely to see the field the rest of the season gets suspended for two games. That's not a punishment.

Now the running he's likely to have to do...that's a punishment.

Alright seriously, I have been in Iowa City since I was 17 ....it isn't that hard to illegally drink in this town and not get caught. Ugh probably could of seen this coming when I saw him downtown with Edds two years ago.

Latest posts