Derby is a Tight End

doclee

Brett B. moved Derby to tight end for the Razorbacks. It sounds like Derby is very pleased with the move; he played a lot in a recent scrimmage and caught 3 or 4 passes. He dropped a deep ball that would have gone for a TD; the coaches said the drop was a very rare event for Derby and are not concerned. Unusual move for a senior, but it sounds like they expect him to get a lot of playing time right away. He is 6'5" and 256 lbs. Big boy!

If you want to read the article, you will have to get a copy of today's Baxter County Arkansas Reporter, which is delivered by mule across Baxter County and down into parts of Izzard County (which is still dry, BTW).

I has been in the mid to high seventies most of the past two weeks here...so it ain't all bad.

But I thought KF was a dumb dumb and just couldn't see how awesome Derby was at QB.

Last edited:
.....Baxter County Arkansas Reporter, which is delivered by mule across Baxter County and down into parts of Izzard County (which is still dry, BTW).

I has been in the mid to high seventies most of the past two weeks here...so it ain't all bad.
Thanks for the info Doc and now considering Izzard County is still dry can we assume you are also imbibing in a little moonshine down there ?

It probably took him playing QB in a live game at this level to finally realize he doesn't have what it takes. Stubborness can really affect people's lives. Sometimes it's a good thing, and sometimes it's a bad thing. At least he's finally willing to give another position a shot.

I'm not gonna lie... I wish he would have been willing to make the change at Iowa. He has the physical ability to be a damn good TE or LB. It will be interesting to see if a year at the TE position will be enough for him to get a shot at the combine.

It's easy for any of us to sit here and say see and I told you so but it's not our life either. Because one is good at something or probably would be doesn't mean they have as must interest in it as they do something else. Look at Jeff Smardzija... It just so happened things worked out for him as a pitcher. I'm sure alot of people wanted him to play football instead. Now I don't know if he loves baseball more then football anymore then I know if Derby loved playing QB more then any other position but he went with that and it's worked out pretty well for him. In some cases like in Derbys it hasn't. Maybe he will for a lack of a better word "regret" trying to play Qb for as long as he did and transfer away from Iowa or maybe he'll look at it that he took a swing at what he loved and it just didn't work out. He clearly loved the idea of playing QB more then he did wearing he tiger hawk playing another position. I doubt I'd feel that way in his shoes but since I never was or will be in his shoes I won't begrudge him for it.

Yeah I never understood his stubbornness not to switch positions at Iowa. I mean how many LB's and TE's have we put into the pros? Not to mention ones that started at different positions. I understand wanting to play QB, but when you have the opportunity at a shot in the NFL at another position and you just throw it away to maybe get one year at QB doesn't make sense.

The only Derby I care about is the one who didn't quit (Zach). Oh, and I like the Kentucky Derby.

It's easy for any of us to sit here and say see and I told you so but it's not our life either. Because one is good at something or probably would be doesn't mean they have as must interest in it as they do something else. Look at Jeff Smardzija... It just so happened things worked out for him as a pitcher. I'm sure alot of people wanted him to play football instead. Now I don't know if he loves baseball more then football anymore then I know if Derby loved playing QB more then any other position but he went with that and it's worked out pretty well for him. In some cases like in Derbys it hasn't. Maybe he will for a lack of a better word "regret" trying to play Qb for as long as he did and transfer away from Iowa or maybe he'll look at it that he took a swing at what he loved and it just didn't work out. He clearly loved the idea of playing QB more then he did wearing he tiger hawk playing another position. I doubt I'd feel that way in his shoes but since I never was or will be in his shoes I won't begrudge him for it.

This.

I'll admit as I read the OP I couldn't help but think of what he could have done at Iowa at LB or TE; but ultimately I don't hold any if it against him. The fighting Herkys turned out ok at each position.

He wanted to try his hand, and thought he had a shot at something. It was obviously his dream.

If giving up on your dream is as easy as some on here make it sound, then there'd be a lot less awesome stuff in the world.

See the thing is, Samardzija was/is actually a good pitcher and basically got to choose which sport to go pro in. Derby was a terrible quarterback.

Latest posts