Depth chart for week 1

Its very rare that Iowa does not go 4 deep at running back in a season. I suspect everyone will have plenty of opportunities to show they belong on the field. Competition breeds success.

Too much is being made about Karmari Moulton starting the game. What will matter is number of carries each of the the RB's have, and when they get them, i.e. who finishes the game. I hope all of the top four get at least a series.

Too much is being made about Karmari Moulton starting the game. What will matter is number of carries each of the the RB's have, and when they get them, i.e. who finishes the game. I hope all of the top four get at least a series.
I think the "too much is being made" argument only works when it's the old upperclassmen starter predictably listed as the starter. When a younger unknown player ends up as the week one starter over two proven guys, I think it's a really big deal.

In each of the last 4 season openers, Iowa has totaled 36 carries per game. If Iowa is going to be the team we all want them to be, and if we are going to keep that RB room happy, that number better be closer to 50 (we were over 40 carries in each of Stanley's 3 season-openers, topping out at 48 in 2018).

I suppose I wouldn't mind if it was like 2016, when we only totaled 29 carries, but Daniels and Wadley combined for over 200 yards and averaged over 9 yards per carry.

In each of the last 4 season openers, Iowa has totaled 36 carries per game. If Iowa is going to be the team we all want them to be, and if we are going to keep that RB room happy, that number better be closer to 50 (we were over 40 carries in each of Stanley's 3 season-openers, topping out at 48 in 2018).

I suppose I wouldn't mind if it was like 2016, when we only totaled 29 carries, but Daniels and Wadley combined for over 200 yards and averaged over 9 yards per carry.
Obviously we have to be getting a healthy average, but I think the blueprint should be what GT did against FSU Saturday. If we've got enough of a passing game to keep the defense honest OL and RB room that can push 4, 5, or even more yards per carry (GT was over 6 ypc against an ostensibly top DL in FSU, with a similarly experienced to Iowa but not projected to be otherworldly OL) we could be in for a special season.

I think the "too much is being made" argument only works when it's the old upperclassmen starter predictably listed as the starter. When a younger unknown player ends up as the week one starter over two proven guys, I think it's a really big deal.
I get it, he has leapfrogged two upperclassmen. No easy feat. And kudos to him. But I want to see how the carries are distributed as the year goes along before I would call it more than an ordinary depth chart shuffle.

I think Leshon Williams is probably #1 if not for his injury. And I believe Kaleb Johnson is going to have a break-out year. We'll see.

Latest posts