DePaul Hire Exposes Chicago AAU Stench

This article shows just how messed up the Chicago AAU coaches are with regard to letting college coaches through the door.

Ultimately, in Chicago it's not about the kids being able to find a good program that's a good fit. It's about who these joinks get to rub elbows with.

Chicago-area coaches shocked DePaul went with Oliver Purnell, who has no local ties - ESPN Chicago

It is like that everywhere. As Coach Fran himself said, recruiting is about cultivating relationships.

I wonder if Fran should consider Tracy Webster as an assistant coach hire.
We do have a relationship with Weinstein at Rising Stars,but as they point out the real AAU quality is in the Fire,Warriors and Meanstreets clubs. Fran needs to start the tough slog by starting to establish a relationship with Butler(Iowa used to be one of his favs),Irvin,and Streets.
Fran needs to drop in on Pingatore and explain how he had nothing to do with the Tony Freeman fiasco and how Iowa would love to have DeAndre McCamey come to Iowa...altho I suspect he will follow his brother to illinois.

I do not think Lick even bothered,but as distasteful as it may be, these guys are important to getting good players to Iowa.

Yeah, they will have to get to know these coaches. However, they should stay away from the one-and-done type players. Work with the coaches to identify the kids that have the physical ability to compete, but will also want to stay around to build a program.

I would be happy with a team that gets to the dance every year and then has a chance to make some real noise every few years.

This is where the problems lay. These AAU coaches and public league coaches should be reaching out to form relationships, not the other way around. They should want to place as many kids into schollie situations as possible. Its a little slimey.

It is like that everywhere. As Coach Fran himself said, recruiting is about cultivating relationships.
Believe McCaffrey was referring to players, parents, families, family friends, high school coaches--not street hustlers, wannabe agents, shoe company guys.

There are many good guy types who are involvled in AAU ball because they care about the kids, because they love baskeball. This is true for the most part in Iowa. Unfortunately it is not universal....there are problems as close as Illinois, Indiana....

The Chicago area has long had a culture of entitlement-minded coaches. The remuneration-hiring-credentials system in the Public League has been a cause of this. (Iowa in the early Olson years was able to recruit kids like the Boyles, Lester, Krafcisin, etc...same with Purdue, Notre Dame, Indiana; but when these schools were unwilling to buy entry through HS coaches, Collins-Henson at Illannoy, DePaul (pre-Joey cleanup) & Kentucky, etc boosters, the Tarkanians of college basketball cleaned up in the area. Always thought the developing cesspool in Chicago played a part in Lute's decision to move to Arizona; and ieveryone around the BT was aware Bump Elliott thought so).

I agree on staying away from the one and done players,but I doubt that will be a problem...Harrison Barnes is the only guy even remotely in that territory that we would ever recruit.

Like it or not, these AAU programs are businesses now, and we could go the route of Gary Williams at Md,and ignore them,or go the route of Matta and Painter,and cultivate a relationship with them,but not do anything against the rules. If they expect cash money from boosters or coaches...politely decline and continue to call them. I presume that is what Matta and Painter are doing.
Now, I think the real money for AAU programs is from the shoe companies,and so that gets murky....Iowa is a Nike school,but not sure how that game works.

I do think the blatant days of public league coaches like Sonny Whathisname driving around in mercedes is over. The problem for those coaches is that the last decade or so about 80% or more of those Public league players could not qualify to even get into school anymore...not even Illinois. I remember one year, 17 of 19 potential public league players did not qualify...that killed the golden goose for those CPL coaches.

Still, guys like Scheyer played for Butler and the Warriors...did Coach K pay him? Possibly, but I think Scheyer always dreamed of playing for Duke,so maybe not.
I doubt CoachK did more than be friendly and call Butler once in awhile...pump up the ego of guys like this...without doing anything against NCAA rules. Play the game a little.

Vaccaro

I agree on staying away from the one and done players,but I doubt that will be a problem...Harrison Barnes is the only guy even remotely in that territory that we would ever recruit.

Like it or not, these AAU programs are businesses now, and we could go the route of Gary Williams at Md,and ignore them,or go the route of Matta and Painter,and cultivate a relationship with them,but not do anything against the rules. If they expect cash money from boosters or coaches...politely decline and continue to call them. I presume that is what Matta and Painter are doing.
Now, I think the real money for AAU programs is from the shoe companies,and so that gets murky....Iowa is a Nike school,but not sure how that game works.

I do think the blatant days of public league coaches like Sonny Whathisname driving around in mercedes is over. The problem for those coaches is that the last decade or so about 80% or more of those Public league players could not qualify to even get into school anymore...not even Illinois. I remember one year, 17 of 19 potential public league players did not qualify...that killed the golden goose for those CPL coaches.

Still, guys like Scheyer played for Butler and the Warriors...did Coach K pay him? Possibly, but I think Scheyer always dreamed of playing for Duke,so maybe not.
I doubt CoachK did more than be friendly and call Butler once in awhile...pump up the ego of guys like this...without doing anything against NCAA rules. Play the game a little.

This whole thread is comical. The whole point behind all of the AAU coaches is that the situation at Depaul is that they cannot keep city players in the city and get them to go there. All they wanted is someone that is a well known within the Chicago area to attract those players. That's why it was a shock and Oliver has work to do, not a stench.

Actually I was referring to a pretty well-known Public league coach from a public league power school...King HS...I think he was Sonny something,and he famously drove around in a gold Benz...good buddy of Jimmy Collins,I think.

What a bunch of cry-babies! Why not be open to developing a relationship w/ Oliver, or any other regional coach, rather than cry about it?

The ultimatum by one of the AAU coaches in the article regarding severing ties w/ DePaul if they let an assistant go that he knows- how unbelievably juvenile. Obviously, their AAU kids' futures and best interests are NOT the main thing being considered by some of these arrogant ******.

This is where the problems lay. These AAU coaches and public league coaches should be reaching out to form relationships, not the other way around. They should want to place as many kids into schollie situations as possible. Its a little slimey.

It's a LOT slimey, IMHO.

This whole thread is comical. The whole point behind all of the AAU coaches is that the situation at Depaul is that they cannot keep city players in the city and get them to go there. All they wanted is someone that is a well known within the Chicago area to attract those players. That's why it was a shock and Oliver has work to do, not a stench.

Exactly. One of the main points these coaches made was that the recruits have never heard of Purnell and that could hamper his early efforts...not some kind of sinister conspiracy,imo.
These kids are just like everyone else, the media bombards them with the hype around certain coaches and certain conferences and they get excited about star power. Purnell is under the radar...at this point.

I dont have a problem with AAU teams/coaches, as long as they have their kids' best interest in mind. After reading what the AAU coaches said in that article, I dont think thats the case. I cant say that for sure but its the impression I get. If I was an AAU coach and the local program hired a new HC, I would be at his office door within a few weeks. Did it sound like any of those coaches planned on doing anything even remotely close to that?

I dont have a problem with AAU teams/coaches, as long as they have their kids' best interest in mind. After reading what the AAU coaches said in that article, I dont think thats the case. I cant say that for sure but its the impression I get. If I was an AAU coach and the local program hired a new HC, I would be at his office door within a few weeks. Did it sound like any of those coaches planned on doing anything even remotely close to that?

That is just not reality.
These programs have tons of college coaches calling them about their players, so the local program hires a guy and he is supposed to sit back and make them call him?

That is what lick did with Iowa AAU programs,and that worked out great,right?

Whether these AAU coaches are all clean or not, there is no special allegiance to certain local programs...DePaul may not be a good fit for their player, and unless the head coach or assistant coaches can make a case for DePaul to these coaches, why should the AAU coaches go out of their way to feature DePaul?

No, like Iowa, DePaul has to go out and re-connect with these AAU programs, cultivate relationships,re-gain trust.
In the article about Siena hiring Mitch Buonguaro to replace Fran, one east coast AAU coach cited how Mitch was a longtime guy, a guy who they could trust...Lick and Wainwright did not have that relationship,and did not immediately seek to establish it...therefore,no trust.

That is just not reality.
These programs have tons of college coaches calling them about their players, so the local program hires a guy and he is supposed to sit back and make them call him?

That is what lick did with Iowa AAU programs,and that worked out great,right?

Whether these AAU coaches are all clean or not, there is no special allegiance to certain local programs...DePaul may not be a good fit for their player, and unless the head coach or assistant coaches can make a case for DePaul to these coaches, why should the AAU coaches go out of their way to feature DePaul?

No, like Iowa, DePaul has to go out and re-connect with these AAU programs, cultivate relationships,re-gain trust.
In the article about Siena hiring Mitch Buonguaro to replace Fran, one east coast AAU coach cited how Mitch was a longtime guy, a guy who they could trust...Lick and Wainwright did not have that relationship,and did not immediately seek to establish it...therefore,no trust.

Reality or not, its the way it should be done and here is why:
All of the players on these AAU teams are local (to some extent).
Of course college coaches are going to come and talk to the AAU coach for the obvious D-1 prospects. Its the other players on the team that need the help. The players that are developing later than most kids or a kid that is a border line D-1 talent. Reaching out to the local programs is a no-brainer if you want to place some kids that might be projects.
Maybe I am being naive but I dont see the hardship of taking some time out of your busy day to make a trip across town and talk to the new HC of the local program. Its not like I'm suggesting these coaches travel all over the midwest and talk to everyone.

Whether these AAU coaches are all clean or not, there is no special allegiance to certain local programs...

Absolutely. The most important lesson to learn to be successful in life is to put everything you have into enthusiastic efforts to gain the trust of card sharks, pool hustlers, pickpockets, and con artists.

We can only hope that our new coach & his assistants have this mature wisdom to seek out the street agents and AAU hustlers instead of wasting their efforts and attention on the recruits themselves, their parents, their high school coaches, teachers, counselors, family friends, others with long associations with the kid and know him well as a good person, good citizen, responsible young man.

Absolutely. The most important lesson to learn to be successful in life is to put everything you have into enthusiastic efforts to gain the trust of card sharks, pool hustlers, pickpockets, and con artists.

We can only hope that our new coach & his assistants have this mature wisdom to seek out the street agents and AAU hustlers instead of wasting their efforts and attention on the recruits themselves, their parents, their high school coaches, teachers, counselors, family friends, others with long associations with the kid and know him well as a good person, good citizen, responsible young man.

yea, right, that is what is being said...to ignore everyone else around the recruit except the AAU coaches....strawman.
It has absolutely killed Painter,Weber,Matta,CoachK,ect to have relationships with these AAU coaches. Those programs have been destroyed by their close associations with these hustlers,pickpocket con artists. Iowa BB never wants to emulate OSU,PU,Ill,or duke,but continue with the successful approach that Lick introduced to Iowa.

yea, right, that is what is being said...to ignore everyone else around the recruit except the AAU coaches....strawman.
It has absolutely killed Painter,Weber,Matta,CoachK,ect to have relationships with these AAU coaches. Those programs have been destroyed by their close associations with these hustlers,pickpocket con artists. Iowa BB never wants to emulate OSU,PU,Ill,or duke,but continue with the successful approach that Lick introduced to Iowa.

Yeah, tigger, I think you're living in a fantasyland or in a time machine from 50 years ago to think big time recruiting can be done without some connection to these guys. As McCaffery said, there are good AAU coaches and bad coaches to be associated with. I will trust him to make the right connections.