Delvon Simmons' fbook post

And Jon you threw a hissy fit a couple years ago (when you were on scout.com) when people were friending recruits, claiming it was an NCAA violation. (which it is)

Now its ok because the recruits are accepting the request?

And Jon you threw a hissy fit a couple years ago (when you were on scout.com) when people were friending recruits, claiming it was an NCAA violation. (which it is)

Now its ok because the recruits are accepting the request?

I have no idea what the rules are, but I would guess that if the "friend" isn't affiliated with the university or a booster, then it's okay (assuming they aren't giving any gifts/benefits).

I don't view "following" on twitter or facebook as much different than a website, but direct communication (posting to their wall, tweeting to them) crosses a line and is a very bad idea. Not to mention that it could leave a very bad taste in the recruit's mouth, as it clearly has here.

And Iowa fans seem to be among the worst at this.

Social networks have completely changed the entertainment scene and how entertainers market themselves. Football is entertainment. Your name is is marketable and you want to build your fanbase for more entertainment power(or for building the ego). If you accept the "friends" and you are doing it for a marketing purpose, you accept the people you don't know writing on your page. Don't take things so seriously...

I don't view "following" on twitter or facebook as much different than a website, but direct communication (posting to their wall, tweeting to them) crosses a line and is a very bad idea. Not to mention that it could leave a very bad taste in the recruit's mouth, as it clearly has here.

And Iowa fans seem to be among the worst at this.
So YOU scanned all the social networks and all the posts by individuals in those to determine Iowas fans are the worst at this?
C'mon.

Facebook is pretty stupid actually. It serves little value to me. I have an account and I check it every few weeks just for the hell of it. It has its place in society, but it's not really for me. I love Twitter though, to me the 2 are completely different and serve totally different purposes. Twitter is more like a message board, but comments are limited to 140 characters, I love it.

As far as these recruits accepting everyone as a friend and then getting pissy when someone comments on their wall.... wah! Like Jon said, you're inviting it.