Delany - NCAA tourney expansion- "probable"

So how would this work, would the first round be played on Tues like the play in game is now, with the top 32 having a bye, and then the normal Thurs-Sun games?

I hope not!

I'd still have the tourney start on Thrusday ... it'd be the same number of game Thursday & Friday, but the lower 64 teams (seeds 9-24)

the first Saturday & Sunday would be incredibly awesome now with double the games ... I'd also expand from the number of time slots to 6 each day (currently CBS has 4 on Saturday and 3 on Sunday)

The first two rounds could be played at the team with a bye's home court (regular season means something). Take this season, UNLV was #8, UNI was #9, and say Lehigh is #24. Thursday would be #9 UNI vs #24 Lehigh @ UNLV's stadium, Saturday would be the winner vs UNLV on the Rebel's home court. Meanwhile, KU would be hosting the #16 vs #17 game, then playing the winner, etc.

I will not attend or watch on TV any of the preliminary games that will be part of the tourney expansion. This is all about making more money from the television deal. I will not be a party to that. I think it diminishes the tournament, and makes the entire season less meaningful.

If Iowa was a 7 seed and hosted the 10 vs 23 game and then played the winner, you would not attend?

Last edited:
Id watch every game that interested me. Heck id watch every game cause its madness! Id still fill out a bracket for all 96 teams and cringe when a team i picked lost even if it was Long Beach State or whoever ive barely heard of.

If Iowa was a 7 seed and hosted the 10 vs 23 game and then played the winner, you would not attend?

That is correct. It would pain me not to go, but you have to maintain your principles, and this would go against mine. I would also likely not be able to participate in the bracket challenge.

I don't think my desire to maintain a meaningful NCAA basketball tournament and a meaningful regular season makes me a luddite. This is just change for the sake of TV revenues. I don't call that progress.

There will be no hosting. The games will be on neutral sites as always. The top 32 teams (8 seed or better) will get byes. There will be 16 games Thursday (as there is now); 16 games Friday (same). The difference is 16 more games Saturday and 16 more games on Sunday. Then on Tuesday/Wednesday they will have the round of 32 games. I presume Sweet 16 will still be Thursday/Friday, but they didn't say for sure.

I'm not a huge fan of this, but what I think doesn't really matter.

Latest posts