Delaney Emails Obtained: Big Ten on Fast Track

Could it be 3 Texas schools along with Nebby & Missouri for a conference of 16 teams?

I agree the timetable is pushed. I don't think the Big10 wanted it to be but realize they have to move now to stay ahead of the other BCS conferences. They are kind of forced to move at a faster pace.

I think Notre Dame and Rutgers are guaranteed. If Texas A&M and TTU are what brings in Texas, I could see Nebby and Mizzou being left out in the wind. Ultimately, everyone will do what its best for them, and I think A&M may come along but no way Tech is invited.

Doesn't everyone want to get Texas into their conference? I think the Sun Belt just offered them.

We all knew the Big Ten wanted Texas. Every league wants Texas. They are the only true big fish available. And yes, this includes ND. ND does not guarantee any new basic cable customers. In fact, the thinking is that ND is probably a better option for premium customers.

But, Texas to the Big Ten is not happening. Texas wants to control the negotiations of their television contract and do not want to travel north for all their games. The Pac Ten is letting Texas bring their choice of teams, with the only caveat that they play the Arizona teams, which Texas actually wants. Let me say this again, Texas does not want to travel north for all their games.

Fox is a California network and they have worked their magic showing Texas what a benefit the California connection would be in creating a new network. Of course Gee is posturing, but there is no way the Big Ten is hooking Texas. I am so confident I will quit this board if that comes to pass.

Last edited:
Fox is a California network and they have worked their magic showing Texas what a benefit the California connection would be in creating a new network. Of course Gee is posturing, but there is no way the Big Ten is hooking Texas. I am so confident I will quit this board if that comes to pass.

Fox owns 49% of the BTN

We all knew the Big Ten wanted Texas. Every league wants Texas. They are the only true big fish available. And yes, this includes ND. ND does not guarantee any new basic cable customers. In fact, the thinking is that the ND is probably a better option for premium customers.

But, Texas to the Big Ten is not happening. Texas wants to control the negotiations of their television contract and do not want to travel north for all their games. The Pac Ten is letting Texas bring their choice of teams, with the only caveat that they play the Arizona teams, which actually wants.

Just had to make sure I had this captured, in case it comes to pass. We wouldn't want you backing out....:D

I just don't see Tech coming as part of the package unless the TX state legislature requires it. Baylor is a private institution and they will likely end up in the Pac10 or MWC.

I would think that if the 3 TX schools are added then it's a horse race between Pitt, ND, KU, Nebraska, Missouri and Vandy. Of those 5 schools the Big10 would likely only add two and go to a 16 team conference. Any bigger than that and the $ from the TV deals becomes diluted and not worth expansion. What we gain in major market revenue wouldn't support 8 or more teams. Why nearly double the conference without doubling the revenue?

Fox owns 49% of the BTN

Yes, and Fox is also a corporation that understands the value of media saturation. Why do you put Texas into your already existing network? It makes no sense. You use Texas to start another network and then you own all the major markets outside of Florida.

Think about it.

People are thinking BTN, when they should be thinking Fox. Why own the central region, when you can own the Central, North East, Southwest and West?

Basically, you leave the South East to ESPN. That is how Murdoch wins. It has been his strategy for decades.

Last edited:
We all knew the Big Ten wanted Texas. Every league wants Texas. They are the only true big fish available. And yes, this includes ND. ND does not guarantee any new basic cable customers. In fact, the thinking is that ND is probably a better option for premium customers.

But, Texas to the Big Ten is not happening. Texas wants to control the negotiations of their television contract and do not want to travel north for all their games. The Pac Ten is letting Texas bring their choice of teams, with the only caveat that they play the Arizona teams, which Texas actually wants. Let me say this again, Texas does not want to travel north for all their games.

Do you promise? ;)

Your right about that, Texas does not travel north of Oklahoma when November rolls around.

I obviously have a personal bias with Vandy and A&M. I would love nothing more than to add both of those programs as I live in Nashville (vandy) and my wife is a graduate of A&M. I would be on cloud 9 knowing that I get to watch Iowa or A&M play here in Nashville every year and sometimes both. Nashville is a major market and this city continues to grow. Vandy doesn't fit the SEC mold

I would also add to remember that this is not just about sports and the tv revenue there. I work at Iowa and am well aware of all the connections academicallly of the Big Ten which would be enhance by joining with other like minded research universities. The research money flowing from DC is incredible and is a part of the conversation. I also believe the Domers ego is so large, they are going to miss out on this and won't get a second chance.

ToothGuy

Latest posts