Definition of "official"

CAARHawk

Banned
As per Webster: "of or relating to an office, position, or trust <official duties>"

Two recent posts have used different forms of the term "official" when they really mean, "corroborated," which means "to support with evidence or authority."

Siena has not "officially" hired a coach and Iowa has not "officially" hired an assistant coach.

There is a lot of evidence to support the argument that each will happen, but that will not occur until the people in the position to ratify such decisions actually do so.

As per Webster: "of or relating to an office, position, or trust <official duties>"

Two recent posts have used different forms of the term "official" when they really mean, "corroborated," which means "to support with evidence or authority."

Siena has not "officially" hired a coach and Iowa has not "officially" hired an assistant coach.

There is a lot of evidence to support the argument that each will happen, but that will not occur until the people in the position to ratify such decisions actually do so.

I bet you're a blast at parties

I think you are wrong. Since you are referring in part to a post of mine, I have to note that Merriam-Websters also specifically includes "authoritative" as one definition of "official," which is also the key part of the definition for the word you think we should use. It may be an imperfect term in that it essentially neglects to include the middle man (the newspaper), but I think pretty much everyone accepts "official" as a usable colloquial term in such a situation. I'm not sure why you care so much, but I'm sure you'll be seeing it used this way again and again in the future.

Latest posts