Definition of a Successful Season?

Take a look at my sig and maybe re-think your expectations. 9 wins a season is decent? That is ridiculous.

You're sig continues to get it right. Expecting and finishing are two different things. Apparently that is something that you fail to grasp. Iowa is a top 25 program, so I expect them to finish in the top 25 the majority of years.

Currently we are falling short of expectations. With the schedules we have today, 7 home games, 4 OOC games not against top notch programs, anything less than 4-4 in conference is a disappointment.

For Iowa to finish in the top 25 all they need to do is go 8-4 regular season and win their bowl game...

You're sig continues to get it right. Expecting and finishing are two different things. Apparently that is something that you fail to grasp. Iowa is a top 25 program, so I expect them to finish in the top 25 the majority of years.

Currently we are falling short of expectations. With the schedules we have today, 7 home games, 4 OOC games not against top notch programs, anything less than 4-4 in conference is a disappointment.

For Iowa to finish in the top 25 all they need to do is go 8-4 regular season and win their bowl game...

There is a huge difference between being a Top 25 program and being a Top 25 team 8-9 times in a decade. As I clearly pointed out in my sig only 7 programs of 2000-2009 finished in the Top 25 at least 8 times.

Your expectations are unrealistic.

The majority of years is 6/10. You also said you expect 8-9 Top 25 finishes in 10 years. Which one is it bud?

Successful: 11 Wins
Acceptable: 9 Wins
Meh: 7 wins
Unacceptable: 6 wins

Keep in mind that we should presumably play 13 games in a season which includes a bowl game. If we go 6-7 is that really acceptable to anybody?

Mine would be pretty close to yours, with a few tweaks:

Fantastic: 11 wins
Really, really good: 9-10 wins
Acceptable: 8 wins
Meh: 7 wins
Unacceptable: 6 wins

8 wins in 12 games, barely successful, means middle of B1G. average.

9 wins in 12 games is successful. means we are relevant in B1G and have decent bowl game and finish in Top 20.

7-5, 6-6 keep us on life support, and hurt in recruiting when back to back.

We COULD be relevant on the national picture IF coaching staff strived for that. success breeds success.

take out Haydens last couple of seasons and recalculate his win percentage. 60% or less should be not acceptable over 3 year spans.

I love this......take out Hayden's last couple of years. Why...because it doesn't fit your argument? Why not take out Kirk's first three then when he was cleaning up the mess that was left to him? People need to quit cherry picking. You need to go read the Hayden vs Kirk thread.

You and I are kind of hit and miss in our views of different aspects of the program, but I would have to agree with you here. Ten wins is a great season, but to me nine is a good season. Eight should be the worst we ever do. Last year sucked when you consider the promise we had, but I think we got a little vindication with our bowl win. Missouri was a 10 win team that people said had a better offense (obviously) and a better defense and yet we beat them.

Yeah, I will take 10 all day long, nine is pretty good too. 8 is about average, anything less than eight and you are heading into down year territory and not a fun year to watch. great minds think alike backnblk

The majority of years is 6/10. You also said you expect 8-9 Top 25 finishes in 10 years. Which one is it bud?

I'm sorry that I do not want the minimum of 6/10 as my personal expectations, I believe this program can consistently finish in the top 25 just as I said. Eliminate the bad losses the last 5 years and we might be on that list.

A top 25 program should have the expectation of finishing in the top 25 once each season, because they are a top 25 program. I'm sorry that you believe Iowa should not expect to finish a season where they statistically belong in the last 30 years.

Latest posts