Defensive stats through 5 games

I'm impressed with the stats provided. On more than one occasion I've mentioned that I didn't think to much of Phil Parker but I was obviously speaking without anything to back it up. I give my applause to Phil Parker and what he's doing with the defense. Now, please excuse me while I sit down to my plate of crow.

See, here is the problem with your logic on this one: Every BCS team of note has played the "cupcake" teams at this point in their schedules. So, you are basically comparing Iowa's defense against lesser competition to other teams' defenses against lesser competition.
You're right. Not like Alabama had to play Johnny football, or Georgia has already played 3 Top 10 teams, or MSU and Mich had to play Notre Dame, or Nebraska had to get lit up by UCLA. Nobody in America has faced a murderous gauntlet like Western Michigan (0-5), Missouri State (1-4), Iowa State (1-2), Minnesota, and NIU. Yes, NIU has a good offense and they torched our D, and more importantly, won the game.
Now, Iowa has played, as another poster pointed out correctly, two BCS teams on their home fields and has won both games...I would say, decisively.
Iowa State will be lucky to win any more games this year, and so will Minnesota. This is like NIU bragging about beating a BCS team on the road last week, even though Purdue will finish 1-11. Brilliant argument.
Does that make sense to you, or am I missing something? Would like to hear your thoughts.
My thoughts are that you don't pay attention to or watch much football. I visited my 84 year old senile grandmother the other day and she provided more cogent football observations than what you have so far in this thread, so congrats on that.

Weak schedule? Current Sagarin SOS.

21. Purdue
79. Indiana
85. Iowa
103. Illinois
108. Penn State
119. Ohio State
121. Nebraska
123. Northwestern
133. Michigan
135. Wisconsin
156. Minnesota
169. Michigan State

You're right. Not like Alabama had to play Johnny football, or Georgia has already played 3 Top 10 teams, or MSU and Mich had to play Notre Dame, or Nebraska had to get lit up by UCLA. Nobody in America has faced a murderous gauntlet like Western Michigan (0-5), Missouri State (1-4), Iowa State (1-2), Minnesota, and NIU. Yes, NIU has a good offense and they torched our D, and more importantly, won the game.Iowa State will be lucky to win any more games this year, and so will Minnesota. This is like NIU bragging about beating a BCS team on the road last week, even though Purdue will finish 1-11. Brilliant argument.My thoughts are that you don't pay attention to or watch much football. I visited my 84 year old senile grandmother the other day and she provided more cogent football observations than what you have so far in this thread, so congrats on that.

yawn.

Revisiting after 10 games. Updated with current rankings, leaving the 5 game rankings in parenthesis.

Still looking pretty good, 9th in yards per game, 17th in yards per play, 16th in yards per pass attempt, 29th in per rush attempt.

9th (7th) nationally in yards per game.
29th (12th) nationally allowing 2.91 yards per carry.
16th (11th) nationally allowing 5.4 yards per attempt.
17th (13th) in yards per play.
42nd (14th) in completion percentage.
57th (8th) in interceptions with 8.
39th (16th) in passer rating.

Latest posts