Defensive Line

hawkjunkie

I wouldn't have thought that this is the weakest link on the defense(and possibly the team), but it is darn close. We are dead last on tackles for a loss. Not to mention my biggest fear - QB pressure.

What could we do to mix things up???

Dochterman and Morehouse mentioned using a 3-4 defense in some sets. Like we did in 2008 at times. Anyone else have any ideas?

I like the raider package. Maybe a zone blitz with that.

Jaleel gets a double team sometimes. He seems to have some speed for his size, and he is very strong. What about moving him out on the weakside DE position, then putting Faith in at DT?

I think whatever we need to mix it up whatever we do. We need to not "telecast" the play, the the Parker Jet Sweep.

We have been lucky so far this season. But the next three (any hopefully FOUR) games will be quite different.

This subject has been discussed some over the last week or so. But your concern is correct going against Armstrong who is not a great QB but does account for almost 300 yards a game on offense.

I started a thread like this and my thoughts are sending one extra pass rusher on more plays in other words more blitz. I think a speed blitz up the middle, maybe with jaleel taking his double team wider to the outside to open the hole for the blitzer.

Why blitz up the middle well 1) I have heard NFL tv analysts say even good nfl qbs do not like to see that quick pressure up the middle so you can imagine what it does to less experienced college qbs , 2) that quick pressure could get to armstrong or throw him off rhythm. and 3) up the middle is the shortest distance between two points for the rushers and you can still contain from the outside.

I want to see blitz more on sure passing downs as I think the hawk defense will be pretty basic on 1st downs.

Last edited:
Most team's DLs are going to struggle when their best player gets hurt in game 2 and never recovers. Considering the circumstances, it could be a lot worse.

I see that Darian Cooper played at the end of the Purdue game and the IC Press Citizen did a nice story on him. It also said the doctors have cleared him to play. If he could some how contribute with the remaining games on the d-line, that would be fantastic.

I see that Darian Cooper played at the end of the Purdue game and the IC Press Citizen did a nice story on him. It also said the doctors have cleared him to play. If he could some how contribute with the remaining games on the d-line, that would be fantastic.

Cooper played?? I hadn't noticed that he has played this year... If he could play close to 90%, I would take that for sure!

This is a very good DLine they will make a big impact today. Nate Meier has it in for Nebraska. He will use his speed and make a lot of plays. I also like the way they are developing some depth.

This is a very good DLine they will make a big impact today. Nate Meier has it in for Nebraska. He will use his speed and make a lot of plays. I also like the way they are developing some depth.

With Ott in the line up, I'd say they had a pretty good D line. In his absence I would disagree. Iowa has given up 400 yards the last 3 weeks and that's with the offense eating up clock. I'd feel a lot better about today's game with Ott in line up and I think the D will be the key to a win. Let's get it done today and I hope the D brings the heat.

With this lineup they held Northwestern to 10 points, what are they 10-2? I have full confidence in all the players on the field.

With Ott, it's a very good DL. Even with Ott, they would have still looked much like they have the last 3 weeks - maybe not quite as bad on the edge against Minny but still not very effective pressure.

They're not deep, they're fatigued from playing a lot of snaps (68 plays a game for the year, 72 the last 3, with 76 vs Indy and 84 vs Purdue), the last 3 teams have made them run a lot with a ton of misdirection, sweeps and edge rushing.

It's what makes Nebby game so concerning. If Iowa plays straight up with no rotation or corner blitz strategy, Armstrong wins.

I think we have a solid defense. Obviously, we'd be better if all players were at full strength/not injured. It looked to me like we played more passively on D these last few weeks. Hardly any Raider packages or blitzing. I attribute that to the level of competition. Iowa was fully in control in the last three games. We play up to the level of the competition. The Hawks are baiting the Cornshuckers. King & Mabin will lockdown the Corny receivers. The Hawks will blitz and play an aggressive game against the Cornrapers. Armstrong will get rattled - I predict four interceptions by our secondary. Beathard's going to pick their defense apart.....BLOWOUT!!

I think we have a solid defense. Obviously, we'd be better if all players were at full strength/not injured. It looked to me like we played more passively on D these last few weeks. Hardly any Raider packages or blitzing. I attribute that to the level of competition. Iowa was fully in control in the last three games. We play up to the level of the competition. The Hawks are baiting the Cornshuckers. King & Mabin will lockdown the Corny receivers. The Hawks will blitz and play an aggressive game against the Cornrapers. Armstrong will get rattled - I predict four interceptions by our secondary. Beathard's going to pick their defense apart.....BLOWOUT!!
Preying you are correct.

im wondering what you've seen that makes you think Mabin could shut down a junior high b team WR, let alone a division 1?

im wondering what you've seen that makes you think Mabin could shut down a junior high b team WR, let alone a division 1?

A bit harsh. Mabin will be fine, he has made some mistakes and gets out of position at times, but he's played decent. When you're targeted most of the game with an All American playing opposite of you, you're gonna give up some plays.

He'll be tested today.

Latest posts