defense fails again

Watched the game late, in OT Whisky was undercutting Iowa on almost every rebound. The one against Rebracca was absurd. Could have really gotten hurt ref watched the entire play and made no call, like the rest of the night on Whisky travels, undercuts, and offensive fouls warding off with their free arms. Typical Whiskey game plan but for some reason refs decided to call nothing tonight. Started early with the flagrant call not made after a freaking review. Phantom fouls against Rebracca and Perkins all game.

With recruiting, Fran is kinda in a shitty zone of recruiting good enough to get guys leaving early, but not good enough to replace them and have an elite team. Also Nunge leaving hurt worse than maybe anything that's happened with recruits so far. Other than Keegan stupidly not staying all 4 years.
Nunge's loss was more monumental than than we will ever know.

Last edited:
Fire Fran
If he hasn't figured out by now that this is a physical league with shitty officiating, he never will. Instead of giving us the potty mouth face, how about overhauling your strength and condition program. Maybe a stronger player will get more calls, just a thought?

Remember that side by side comparison shot of shirtless Hawkeye players next to shirtless Badgers? Their guards looked like linebackers in comparison to ours.

Overall, I thought the defense played pretty well. What hurt was nothing from Sandfort offensively, 2 costly turnovers in overtime, and no Murray.

Nunge's loss was more monumental than than we will ever know.
Amen. A freaking men. To have been able to use Rebraca as a backup for him instead and fill in at the 4 would have been a way more ideal way to have been using him all this time. Nunge's presence is tough to replace with his length and outside shot. Not all losses are created equal. Fran tried like crazy to get a big this off season to transfer in he just swung and missed

Overall, I thought the defense played pretty well. What hurt was nothing from Sandfort offensively, 2 costly turnovers in overtime, and no Murray.
I thought I saw that Wisky was like 6 for 7 or 7 for 8 in OT.. Something like that. D got wore out too.

If he hasn't figured out by now that this is a physical league with shitty officiating, he never will. Instead of giving us the potty mouth face, how about overhauling your strength and condition program. Maybe a stronger player will get more calls, just a thought?

Remember that side by side comparison shot of shirtless Hawkeye players next to shirtless Badgers? Their guards looked like linebackers in comparison to ours.
Fran works the refs. That's part of his coaching. There's a reason Iowa leads the conference in FT's every season and it's not because his team doesn't foul or get's fouled more lol. He understands it more than anyone. Potty Mouth face gets his team a lot of calls.

Complaining about Iowa's defense in OT and making broad indictments on the program based on an OT after 3 P5 games in 6 days and down 2 starters is a new way to look at things.

They should have won last night, not winning that very winnable game is bad. It's not very good. I blame Fran for not having more depth. Striking out in the portal, coupled with injuries mean this team's success rides on a razor thin line. But that's off season work. They didn't win this off season and some of that is beyond Fran's control when Iowa was not very aggressive with collectives. That's not on Fran.

They now have to pick up one of the road that we likely don't see coming. That happens though and I feel like if this team can get healthy they are capable of beating a lot of teams on the road.

Also, that pic was the season 19-20 season when Iowa won 4 more conference games, but man, they really looked good with their shirts off. Iowa has had plenty of big guards and wings the last few seasons.

Last edited:
This Iowa team has the best D efficiency rankings in years FWIW - I feel like Iowa is shorter on shooters vs being inept at playing D.

Just my .02

Ok, how about Slumpfort? ;)
It wasn't too long ago CMac was just brick laying almost every thing from deep. His shot was almost always short and no arc. That has changed for the better. I think Slumpfort's woes start with his feet. Last night I noticed a couple of times before he took his shot "happy feet." Good, consistent shooters from deep step into their shots. Coaches and Slumpy need to find tape on when he was hot and correct. There is hope. See CMac for inspiration.

This Iowa team has the best D efficiency rankings in years FWIW - I feel like Iowa is shorter on shooters vs being inept at playing D.

Just my .02
Teams are slowing it down to get Iowa into half court. Fewer layups for opponent.

Less CM at point so ĺess confusion on pick up on D and less guard penetration.

Sandfort is pushing it, which happens with young shooters that are in a slump. He's getting his shot off just a hair before his body is squared up and set. John Wooden had a famous saying, "Be quick, but don't hurry." Right now, Sandfort is hurrying.

As for the game, the odds definitely were against us, with injuries and fatigue. I'm not typically someone that blames officiating, but there were some head-shakers last night. That elbow swing definitely should have been a flagrant, and there was a play where the center was standing in the lane for at least 4-5 seconds with the ball. And the "hook and hold" probably should have been called. Frustrating game.

Do you by chance live in or near the Dubuque area?

Fran works the refs. That's part of his coaching. There's a reason Iowa leads the conference in FT's every season and it's not because his team doesn't foul or get's fouled more lol. He understands it more than anyone. Potty Mouth face gets his team a lot of calls.

Complaining about Iowa's defense in OT and making broad indictments on the program based on an OT after 3 P5 games in 6 days and down 2 starters is a new way to look at things.

They should have won last night, not winning that very winnable game is bad. It's not very good. I blame Fran for not having more depth. Striking out in the portal, coupled with injuries mean this team's success rides on a razor thin line. But that's off season work. They didn't win this off season and some of that is beyond Fran's control when Iowa was not very aggressive with collectives. That's not on Fran.

They now have to pick up one of the road that we likely don't see coming. That happens though and I feel like if this team can get healthy they are capable of beating a lot of teams on the road.

Also, that pic was the season 19-20 season when Iowa won 4 more conference games, but man, they really looked good with their shirts off. Iowa has had plenty of big guards and wings the last few seasons.
We go to the line because we get hard action going to the bucket. And when defenders get beat they have one choice.

I love Fran’s fire but hate the "I Want My Maypo" facial expressions. But it's who he is and it comes with the package. But I cam remember a game in Madison in 2014 or so (I was there) where he got kicked out and suspended and all (Wisconsin's) Nigel Hayes was doing was using his rear end to get position on Gabe Olesaini, and preventing Gabe from getting to his spots. Hayes was the stronger player which is why Gabe kept getting the whistle

I posted in several threads that three games in six days, and being shorthanded in two of them, was a monumental factor. It's no surprise that it took us a while to wake up last night. Even more shocking was how we were able to come out and ambush Iowa State. I think the Cyclines were surprised as well.

The complaints about Fran's (supposedly) lazy recruiting came from other posters. He recruits like a mother you know what. And no head coach can see every player every time. That's why they have assistants any why they send them as wel

My one dig on Fran this week, and I posted it in the live ISU game thread, was why wasn't Bowen in the game once it was clearly in hand. And then when I found out that Ulis was too hurt to play....

Last edited:
I do. I've probably mentioned that in several hundred posts. Grew up on Dubuque north end, which is where my moniker comes from.
Guess I've missed those several hundred posts :)

My dad grew up on Nevada ave, right off of Hwy 20. (Dodge)

I'll have to saunter up there soon and discuss musical whims over a cold one (or two)

Amen. A freaking men. To have been able to use Rebraca as a backup for him instead and fill in at the 4 would have been a way more ideal way to have been using him all this time. Nunge's presence is tough to replace with his length and outside shot. Not all losses are created equal. Fran tried like crazy to get a big this off season to transfer in he just swung and missed
$$$$

but that sounds like it could be fixed

I thought I saw that Wisky was like 6 for 7 or 7 for 8 in OT.. Something like that. D got wore out too.
Not really they took the shots we wanted, the kid who hit the big one was 0-fer for the season and Whul hit one and he is a low percentage 3 pt. shooter. I think Iowa was trying to keep them out of the lane but it backfired because unlikely guys hit their shots.

Latest posts