Defense - A Michigan How To

I often wonder what is like to win a defensive battle on the basketball floor. You know, when you aren't shooting well and you need to grind one out. That's what Michigan did against NW. When was the last time we held a Big10 team to 60?
Lickliter years.

Then the fan base screamed for offense/fast break. I read hundreds of posts: “If we’re going to lose then let’s at least lose playing exciting basketball.

Then 2017-18 and now those same people want to know why we don’t practice and can’t play defense.

Given how this roster is constructed I think they are limited on what they can do on the defensive end. Want to and effort can only take you so far.
Want to and effort wasn’t there last season. What we said last season that if that was there they could be an average defense.

Effort and want to have been and they’ve been a little better than average: MSU is a buzzsaw.

I Throw that one out and see what happens vs. ISU - UNI .... then Big10

Want to and effort wasn’t there last season. What we said last season that if that was there they could be an average defense.

Effort and want to have been and they’ve been a little better than average: MSU is a buzzsaw.

I Throw that one out and see what happens vs. ISU - UNI .... then Big10

I agree.......I am not throwing in the towel yet. With the exception of 3 or 4 guys we kinda know who everyone else is on the defensive end. There are just going to be nights where we(as fans) will be frustrated and it will lead to threads like these.

Iowa is shooting 31.9% from 3. That is currently 234th in the country. That stat has to get a lot better. I realize this is a thread about D. Just reminder to everyone that they have to put the ball in the bucket as well.

Here's the last possession of the game for NW. Bonus points for pronouncing leading scorer's name. :)

Looked like Northwestern wanted to run a pick and roll with Pardon but Matthews kaboshed that.

Neither Turner nor Taylor could get a corner turned and get into the paint. It was all east and west. The best Northwestern could do was get off a desperation shot that had no chance of going in regardless of the ball banking off the board and hitting the rim. The defense forced the shot to be launched at an unmakable trajectory. Taylor was bothered enough that he couldn't set himself and get that high arch that could have banked in. He had to shoot it lower and quicker than he would have liked.

Latest posts