DeCourcy's opinion on Iowa hoops

I don't know who this DeCourcy guy is but it's painfully apparent that he doesn't know jack about Iowa basketball. This team has some serious talent. I'd put a team of Tucker, Payne, Gatens, Cole and Cougill up against anyone. I like our chances. Tucker is a legit star, Gatens is one of the top players in the Big Ten and we have three great freshmen. This is it! Go Hawks!

haven't we been putting them up against anyone? :confused:

Yeah, but Alford did that entirely on the backs of three Iowa boys in Haluska, Horner and Brunner, it wasn't his recruiting. And it was Alford's one shiny year out of 6. The next year we were again a noncontender that didn't even get an NIT bid. When he left, the cubbard was bare. I think DeCourcy's opinions may not be exactly right, but they hold a lot of truth.

We also had the Big Ten Defense Player of the Year(Erik Hansen) and the Big Ten 6th Man of the Year(Doug Thomas) on that team. Yes, the big three were native Iowans,but these other two did play a big role,and very well as their awards demonstrate.

What really killed SA and then Lick was the absolute dearth of Iowa native talent from the 02 recruiting class going forward..Mike Henderson was about it..with flameouts in Carlton Reed,Alex Thompson and that was it. A really bad stretch for Iowa HS bb until J-Bo,Gatens,Gibbs and now Cougill and Barnes and McCabe and May. Out of that group only Barnes is higher rated than Horner,Haluska and Brunner.

Bad timing for Lick, but you have to be ready for droughts in Iowa preps.

Easy to rewrite history, NewMexHawk.

Elliott made several hires in basketball and football before he got Lute and Hayden. You don't seem to be willing to give the same benefit of the doubt to Barta.

Bump hired Frank Lauterbur and Bob Commings before Fry. He hired Schultz after he couldn't keep Ralph Miller at Iowa. I believe I have heard stories of how certain things the program needed were promised to Miller and he left after being dissatisfied at not getting them. I could be wrong on that, but that is what I seem to have come across on the boards before.

So It would appear that Elliott had some challenges with coaches as well, before getting Fry and Lute. I just thought I would put that out there so we all understand this situation isn't unique nor does it mean the AD is in over his head.

I get tired of reading about how bare the cupboard was for Lickliter...

The players that Alford left and that were run off by Lickliter were more athletic and were better than the players that Lickliter is recruiting...

So continue to use the excuse that the cupboard was bare when IN FACT it was NOT...it was just a case that Lickliter CHOSE to not work with the players that he had and ran them off and Iowa now is what it is. Now fans say..."oh you have to give Lick a break because he didn't inherit any players and he has to rebuild the program."

That isn't the case...he REFUSED to work adapt to the players he had because he knows one way and only one way and ran all of his point guards off and THAT is why Iowa has NO point guards... but fans can continue to make excuses for the man.

NewMexHawk, that is simply not true. The cubbard was indeed bare. You are giving Alford WAY too much credit. Lickliter certainly hasn't done anything to make things better, but Iowa wasn't going anywhere with Alford at the helm. Justin Johnson, Cy Tate, Deriase Geary (sp?) and Tony Freeman would not have gotten us to the NCAA tourney. Lickliter may not be the answer, but Alford certainly wasn't either.

Latest posts