Death to the BCS!

Well since we're going to extremes here, if you feel like the regular season should be completely irrelevent and only a handful of games played in March should determine who is the best team, then OK.

Let's just not bother with a regular season at all. We'll just have a 120 team tournament. We'll play all over the country, at weird start times, and have only a couple days between games. It'll be great.
I have never, am not, nor will I imply any of this.

Read the book.

I have never, am not, nor will I imply any of this.

Read the book.

I've read the book. It's an extremely biased hack job, made up of distorted statistics. When the entire premise of your book is that the BCS is an extremely shady organization who changes the facts to fit their argument, well you probably shouldn't do the exact same thing for your counter argument.

The NCAA tournament is good for playing BINGO, that's about it. Nobody goes to the games. Cops and America's Most Wanted have higher TV ratings. And it makes the regular season totally irrelevant, unless you are a select group of marginal teams that have to stress even if you are going to get into the field.

Basketball should really change their system to more of a football type system where the regular season is more meaningful, and their is more selectivity as to who gets into the tournament.

Then, they should play 2 out of 3 series. So a weaker team can't advance just because of one off shooting night.

The NCAA tournament is good for playing BINGO, that's about it. Nobody goes to the games. Cops and America's Most Wanted have higher TV ratings. And it makes the regular season totally irrelevant, unless you are a select group of marginal teams that have to stress even if you are going to get into the field.

Basketball should really change their system to more of a football type system where the regular season is more meaningful, and their is more selectivity as to who gets into the tournament.

Then, they should play 2 out of 3 series. So a weaker team can't advance just because of one off shooting night.

While we're at it, we should kill the goose that lays those golden eggs.

I also must have missed that headline announcing that 100 million people tuned in to watch COPS.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...2011-ncaa-men’s-basketball-championship/87533

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-4-million-total-viewers-through-sunday/87351

Breaking News - CBS Sports Scores in Ratings for 2010 Ncaa Men's Basketball National Championship Game | TheFutonCritic.com

48 million people watched Duke beat Butler last year. Cops usually gets about 4.5 million. Nice try, though.

This year has made it obvious to everyone...college bb regular season is now meaningless. College fb has the greatest regular season of any sport,and some want to ruin it. Wetzel wants an NFL-lite system for college...and has feathered his nest pushing it.

No one denies that the college bowls have some shennaigans going on, so that should be cleaned up...but junk the whole system? No fricking way.

As I heard the coach of Belmont say last nite on a coaches FF preview show say...''bb is a tournament sport'' ....and I agree. Football is not a tournament sport. Each game on saturday in the fall is an event of its own...do not dilute it,please.

What are you trying to prove with these links? You linked to the books' own site, which as you can probably guess gives it a positive recommendation, and the Bleacher Report which is possibly the worst sports related website out there.

Your last link is a good one though. I'm a huge Joe Posnanski fan and as usual he comes through with a solid column.

"The arguments for the BCS are not presented with much enthusiasm here."

"And while this may not make the book fair, it certainly makes the book a lot of fun to read"

"I have to admit that the authors’ viewpoint on bowls left me a bit frayed. On the one hand, they love the bowls.
But the authors keep insisting that despite all this, bowl games would and should survive with a playoff system… in fact the authors think a playoff system, with the huge flow of money, is the best chance to keep the bowls going."

"The authors don’t turn their immense powers of deconstruction on their own playoff system"

All good points brought up by Posnanski. The book is perfect for casual football fans without any critical thinking skills who will eat up anything the authors say without thinking twice about it.

Both systems are imperfect in coming up with the "best" team being on top in the end. Do they crown a champion each year, of course they do. Is that team always the best in the land? Debatable....

Do they make gobs of money for the ones running the show....Yep. And in the end that may be the toughest obstacle to any significant change.

I love the bowl system, and understand it's deficiencies in producing a true national champion, but all of the pageantry and rivalries mean something, so that would be tough to give up.

I love the NCAA bball tourney, the unexpected is what that model thrives on.

Both sports have built to what they are today over DECADES...it'll probably take as long if they ever decide to significantly change how they crown a champion.

I love the college football regular season. I do think having a large playoff system could potentially dilute it. At the same time, a 16 team playoff might inspire the big boys to play more high profile out of conference games because taking an early season loss wouldn't do quite as much damage. But that is a big might because schools like to play 7-8 home games a year to make extra money which is largely what discourages big time home and home games now. As things stand now, I'd be very much in favor of having the top 4 or 6 teams play it out after the bowls.

For college football, I'd be interested in a playoff, featuring the conference champs and ONLY the conference champs. It would require 4,8, or 16 conferences. No voting at all. Independants? Find a conference...

I actually thought this might be happening last year with all the conference realignment talk, 4 super conferences, big enough that their conference title games would be like a first round.

And FWIW, I'd be equally happy if basketball did the same thing.

For college football, I'd be interested in a playoff, featuring the conference champs and ONLY the conference champs. It would require 4,8, or 16 conferences. No voting at all. Independants? Find a conference...

I actually thought this might be happening last year with all the conference realignment talk, 4 super conferences, big enough that their conference title games would be like a first round.

And FWIW, I'd be equally happy if basketball did the same thing.

Yes I'd much rather want an 8-5 Central Michigan team in the playoffs rather than a 12-1 Florida. Now we're really going to find out who the best team is.

The NCAA has no legal right to implement a playoff, since it was created by conferences. The Supreme Court even ruled on this a couple of decades ago saying that only the conferences and individual schools, not the NCAA, have a right to negotiate TV and other appearances.

A playoff wouldn't solve anything. You really think that New Mex St. has a "right" to be in a playoff by winning their conference of nobodies over the #2 in the B10 or SEC? So then you say "conference champions + highest polled teams." What about when you have 3 B10 teams winning 10+ games like last year? Someone will get left out while Eastern Michigan gets in with an 8-4 record for winning its conference. Very fair! Yes, and of course we know that the better the conference, the worse record the champion will have. Just look at 8-5 conference champion UCONN of the mighty Big East from last year. Very impressive in losing to Oklahoma 48-20!

The $$$ all comes from the top schools and conferences. When some starts throwing $300 million a year to televise the MAC, then you can start talking about financial equitability. But 90% of the money in cfb is coming from the fans of 50% of the schools, and to try and legislate that they have to share that money with programs that can't even fill half of their 25,000 seat stadium every saturday is Big Government at its absolute worse.

If the non-BCS schools want more money and access, why don't they put together their own BCS-style bowl package, and start shopping that around to ESPN and Fox?

Last edited:
The NCAA has no legal right to implement a playoff, since it was created by conferences. The Supreme Court even ruled on this a couple of decades ago saying that only the conferences and individual schools, not the NCAA, have a right to negotiate TV and other appearances.

A playoff wouldn't solve anything. You really think that New Mex St. has a "right" to be in a playoff by winning their conference of nobodies over the #2 in the B10 or SEC? So then you say "conference champions + highest polled teams." What about when you have 3 B10 teams winning 10+ games like last year? Someone will get left out while Eastern Michigan gets in with an 8-4 record for winning its conference. Very fair! Yes, and of course we know that the better the conference, the worse record the champion will have. Just look at 8-5 conference champion UCONN of the mighty Big East from last year. Very impressive in losing to Oklahoma 48-20!

The $$$ all comes from the top schools and conferences. When some starts throwing $300 million a year to televise the MAC, then you can start talking about financial equitability. But 90% of the money in cfb is coming from the fans of 50% of the schools, and to try and legislate that they have to share that money with programs that can't even fill half of their 25,000 seat stadium every saturday is Big Government at its absolute worse.

If the non-BCS schools want more money and access, why don't they put together their own BCS-style bowl package, and start shopping that around to ESPN and Fox?
RealClearSports - BCS Is Finished ... But How Soon?

and

About the book | The official site of Death to the BCS: The Definitive Case Against the Bowl Championship Series

and

book.png

Read it. Comprehend it. Be enlightened.

LOL!

I see why you can't make a case on your own, you read that Wetzel claptrap. Like anyone can take that seriously.

<b>FACT:</b> A case cannot be made legally that individual conferences are not free to determine their own schedules, television contracts, and methods of determing their postseason games. <b>NONE WHAT SO EVER.</b>

<b>FACT:</b> Neither Texas, OSU, USC, or the SEC has a legal obligation to do what is in the financial best interest of New Mex St., Montana, Rice, or anyone in the MAC, Sunbelt, or WAC.

<b>FACT: Just like how the BCS schools come from the biggest states like California, Texas, Ohio, and Florida, so do the largest number of congressmen. The BCS schools are the richest, biggest, most influential schools (and often employers) in their districts. They will not stand by while a couple podunk congressmen from the boondocks threatens to kill their golden calves. They spend half their waking hours (the half not raising money for themselves) getting grants for these schools, and the political lobbying power of the schools themselves is tremendous.

There is absolutely no threat from any outside source to do away with the BCS. If the MAC and MWC conference don't like where they are, they are free to start their own. Stop wasting your time on what will never happen.

Loookee lookee and my linkees too!!!!:::

Sports - CBSSports.com Sports News, Fantasy Scores, Sports Video

Pac-12 TV deal, Boise State NCAA drama, more college football mail - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

Learn to think for yourself. Support what is best for your school. Be enlightened.

Last edited:

Latest posts