Death to the BCS!

atxhawk

Who here has read it?

The news coming out of the fiesta bowl is not at all shocking if you've read the book. Highly recommend picking it up if you can.

That book is so full of cherry picked stats it ruins the whole book. If the authors would have taken a less biased look at the system it would be much better.

It's a fantastic book and shows exactly what is wrong with the college football postseason. I hope the Fiesta Bowl investigation causes some kind of shake-up in the current system, it's about time.

That book is totally sketchy. The people who like it probably think Fox News and MSNBC are the best things to come to journalism since the demise of Hearst.

That being said, the system has never been good.

But the funniest issue is that the only reason we have the system in the first place is because the UPSTART Fiesta Bowl bought the mythical NC game when independents Miami and PSU were ranked 1 & 2. The fact that the Fiesta is now, possibly, the key to the demise of the BCS as we know it is hysterical.

That book is totally sketchy. The people who like it probably think Fox News and MSNBC are the best things to come to journalism since the demise of Hearst.

That being said, the system has never been good.

But the funniest issue is that the only reason we have the system in the first place is because the UPSTART Fiesta Bowl bought the mythical NC game when independents Miami and PSU were ranked 1 & 2. The fact that the Fiesta is now, possibly, the key to the demise of the BCS as we know it is hysterical.

Yep, if you have no critical thinking skills the book is perfect for you. I enjoyed seeing Dan Weitzel back track on twitter this weekend and saying you can't compare the NCAA tournament and college football for people complaining about the VCU-Butler match up. Even though he brings up several times in his book about how great the NCAA tournament is compared to how terrible the BCS is.

The point hammered home throughout the book is that college football is corrupt because of the money pouring into the system.

The book's solution.... pour way more money into the system via a playoff.

It doesn't pass logic 101.

Excellent book.

Enlightening....shows why the BCS needs to go regarding its picking the national champs. I've advocated reading this book for many months. Not surprising this Fiesta bowl bozo got caught feathering his own self-made nest.

Death-to-the-BCS-cover.png

No the point is WHO is pouring the money into the system (the Universities) and WHO is receiving the money from the system (the CEO's and others). I don't think Wetzel has any reason to backpedal on his idea, I think the basketball tournament is a success this year. Would everyone be more happy if they would have just played one game between Kansas and Ohio State to decide the champion this season and let the other schools pair up and play meaningless games?

No the point is WHO is pouring the money into the system (the Universities) and WHO is receiving the money from the system (the CEO's and others). I don't think Wetzel has any reason to backpedal on his idea, I think the basketball tournament is a success this year. Would everyone be more happy if they would have just played one game between Kansas and Ohio State to decide the champion this season and let the other schools pair up and play meaningless games?

You perfectly hit the nail on the head. Doing this would emulate the BCS FB nonsense.

Those of you who like/support the BB tourney simply cannot advocate for the bowl system/BCS to determine the mythical (accurate but terrible word) FB champion every year without being hypocritical.

You perfectly hit the nail on the head. Doing this would emulate the BCS FB nonsense.

Those of you who like/support the BB tourney simply cannot advocate for the bowl system/BCS to determine the mythical (accurate but terrible word) FB champion every year without being hypocritical.

I'm not a huge supporter of the BCS and I love the tournament, but the BCS does a better job of determining who is actually the best team that season than the NCAA tournament does.

I'm not a huge supporter of the BCS and I love the tournament, but the BCS does a better job of determining who is actually the best team that season than the NCAA tournament does.

If you consider using two half-baked/half-@ssed biased human polls, coupled with an incomplete computer poll, to determine who gets the "right" to compete, rendering all over bowls meaningless with regards to being the champ, and, ignoring undefeated teams at the end of the year....then OK.

Or another way to look at your argument....fine...let's disband the NCAA tourney altogether and annoint the final-game teams through a similar process...how does that feel?

Yup....it sucks.

I understand where you are coming from when you don't agree with the NCAA tournament determining the best team, but I don't agree with you because I think its the best way.

Almost every other sport uses a tournament system to determine the champion for that year, from high school up to professional. And every other sport has a champion that is crowned and acknowledged by the NCAA. I don't get why college football can be completely different and still feel they are doing it right.

If you consider using two half-baked/half-@ssed biased human polls, coupled with an incomplete computer poll, to determine who gets the "right" to compete, rendering all over bowls meaningless with regards to being the champ, and, ignoring undefeated teams at the end of the year....then OK.

Or another way to look at your argument....fine...let's disband the NCAA tourney altogether and annoint the final-game teams through a similar process...how does that feel?

Yup....it sucks.

Well since we're going to extremes here, if you feel like the regular season should be completely irrelevent and only a handful of games played in March should determine who is the best team, then OK.

Let's just not bother with a regular season at all. We'll just have a 120 team tournament. We'll play all over the country, at weird start times, and have only a couple days between games. It'll be great.

College football should change so that instead of moving a pointy ball down the field outdoors in the fall, they should try to put a round ball into a hoop indoors in the winter. That'd be great.

You're certainly entitled to this belief. But I hope that anyone who agrees with you never, ever complains about Iowa's "what might have been" season in 2009, because even if Stanzi had never gotten hurt and we'd gone undefeated, we were not going to the national championship game that year. Personally, I think any system that is so heavily weighted towards pre-season rankings is ridiculous.

You're certainly entitled to this belief. But I hope that anyone who agrees with you never, ever complains about Iowa's "what might have been" season in 2009, because even if Stanzi had never gotten hurt and we'd gone undefeated, we were not going to the national championship game that year. Personally, I think any system that is so heavily weighted towards pre-season rankings is ridiculous.

OK, well believe it or not I'm not going to complain about how we might have possibly got screwed in a hypothetical what if situation.

Agreed. I want to see 64 football teams, and them to play two games a week for three weeks. We'll definitely find out who is best, just order extra stretchers.

Thank you!!

Perfect example...as was Auburn in 04 and TCU this year.

Polls are flawed.
Humans voting in polls are flawed.
Computer poll is flawed.
Not having a FB playoff is flawed.

Latest posts