Death penalty: PSU/SMU

The only team to ever get the death penalty was running a pro system, got caught, and kept running the system.

This is different.

However, many people need to save face here. The PSU board needs to establish their authority. The NCAA can't appear to be overlooking the situation, and the big ten has to protect itself and member institutions.

Accordingly, the best thing for those three bodies would be to work with the PSU board to develop a self-imposed penalty that would not make it necessary for anyone else to levy penalties.

The only team to ever get the death penalty was running a pro system, got caught, and kept running the system.

This is different.

However, many people need to save face here. The PSU board needs to establish their authority. The NCAA can't appear to be overlooking the situation, and the big ten has to protect itself and member institutions.

Accordingly, the best thing for those three bodies would be to work with the PSU board to develop a self-imposed penalty that would not make it necessary for anyone else to levy penalties.

I agree. It would benefit all involved if PSU suspended their own program. Especially PSU. If they appear to defend and or dismiss what has happened it would just create another nightmare for the school. I really don't think the NCAA is going to eat it on this one. Something is definitely going to happen in my mind and I'm betting the NCAA is going to see how this is handled and if need be, the hammer will be dropped. Any time I hear about the Big Ten conference I cringe a little because I know that the conference has a giant black eye because of this. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the conference has a lot to say about it before it is all said and done. There has been a lot of banter in these forums about kicking them out of the conference and It wouldn't be terribly surprising to me if it did happen.

Agreed. Shonen and thunder are on the right track. The ncaa can't afford NOT to come down with a heavy handed message, or they themselves wil be under fire. The real interesting items to come out will be how the B1G reacts. They wil probably lay low til the end and then measure the tide at that time, as it could be weeks away or many months away.

If the NCAA were to prove impotent on this one I could see some government run agency getting established to monitor and regulate collegiate athletics. The outcry from inaction may be too much for the NCAA to survive.

Lets say that they do get the death penalty. What happens to the current players that had nothing to do with it? Are they allowed to immediately transfer without penalty?

I would hope that after the report was released yesterday along with the fact there may be sanctions being passed down the NCAA should allow all athletes at Penn State to transfer without penalty. There really is no good reason to wait.

If the NCAA were to prove impotent on this one I could see some government run agency getting established to monitor and regulate collegiate athletics. The outcry from inaction may be too much for the NCAA to survive.

In similar fashion to how the NASD was dismantled in favor of FINRA in securities regulations. The ncaa will act, or they will become highly scrutinized by all fans, as well as by the non-sport loving general public.

The financial/civil penalties will take their course, as they should.

For the integrity of the Big 10, Penn State should be removed from the conference.

The NCAA must impose the most severe penalty on at least the football program at Penn State. In addition, all NCAA schools should be required to remove athletic departments from "self-enforcement".

Latest posts