Death penalty: PSU/SMU

Penn State should be kicked out of the Big Ten conference. The actions of the PSU athletic department officials (Paterno, Curley), and administrators (Schultz, Spannier) to enable a child predator for 13 years (using university property) while a member of the Big Ten conference, should be grounds for dismissal from the conference.

The actions of the these four men (that provided Sandusky cover to use his status as a coach and university facilities to groom his young victims) is much worse than paying off players, or academic fraud, since the victims were young children.

I view conference affiliation as like being a member of an exclusive country club. If you do something so wrong that it makes the club look bad, they get rid of you.

The Big Ten needs to do the right thing (even if it hurts them financially) and kick Penn State out.

This is even more unlikely than the death penalty, but the Big Ten would be absolutely justified if it elected to boot PSU.

The violations perpetuated by PSU occurred 14 years ago and every day since. Nicevtry.

There aren't any NCAA violations involved in this case. Only moral violations of the highest severity.

Even in the Baylor murder a few years ago, the sanctions had nothing to do with the murder. The NCAA didn't get involved until there were reports of NCAA violations (sketchy tuition payments, failure to report failed drug tests, etc.), which came from the murdered player's girlfriend. The murder wasn't even mentioned in the NCAA's report.

There is no precedent for the NCAA leveling sanctions on something like this, and I doubt they're particularly keen on the idea of setting one.

I don't know if this was posted in any of the other threads, but this article pretty well sums up the dilemma facing the NCAA right now.

NCAA sanctions could be next for Penn State - Chicago Sun-Times

This article is inferring exactly what I was saying. The penalty will be between USC and OSU and the NCAA will let the PSU board levy it themselves. The report hammered the board by calling them a rubber-stamp crew. They are going to want to show that they are in charge. The NCAA is not going to want to set precedent, and the B1G doesn't want to look like they are coming down with a heavy hand or looking the other way.

This article is inferring exactly what I was saying. The penalty will be between USC and OSU and the NCAA will let the PSU board levy it themselves. The report hammered the board by calling them a rubber-stamp crew. They are going to want to show that they are in charge. The NCAA is not going to want to set precedent, and the B1G doesn't want to look like they are coming down with a heavy hand or looking the other way.

They may level self-imposed sanctions, but Penn State won't face any serious pressure from the NCAA to do so, because the NCAA isn't going to set a precedent. There's no ultimatum (do it yourself, or we'll do it for you).

PSU's board of trustees punishing the program in order to save face/retake control (under pressure from the report's findings) is not the same thing as the NCAA getting involved.

They may level self-imposed sanctions, but Penn State won't face any serious pressure from the NCAA to do so, because the NCAA isn't going to set a precedent. There's no ultimatum (do it yourself, or we'll do it for you).

PSU's board of trustees punishing the program in order to save face/retake control (under pressure from the report's findings) is not the same thing as the NCAA getting involved.

I bet the NCAA gets involved in some form whether its the death penalty or not. This is directly related to the football program at Pedo state whether you want to believe it or not.

I feel like the NCAA is going to be hard pressed to bring forth sanctions against PSU unless even more crap comes to light. Honestly I've always somewhat admired PSU and Paterno until this came forward and now I am nearly ashamed to say that was the case. It will be interesting to see how Delaney and the rest of the conference brass will handle this. As a conference we've always been able to say that we've all done it legally/admirably and that is now gone completely. The stuff at Michigan and OSU was bad but the scandal in Happy Valley is unforgivable. I would be perfectly fine with the school being kicked out of the conference in short order preferably.

I bet the NCAA gets involved in some form whether its the death penalty or not. This is directly related to the football program at Pedo state whether you want to believe it or not.

The Baylor murder was directly related to the basketball program, too. And all the criminal activity (arrests) at schools across the country. No sanctions for any of that, even on individual bases.

Take Isiah Crowell's arrest on weapons charges and subsequent dismissal and transfer from Georgia. He's going to be eligible to play immediately at a smaller school, and shouldn't be (if we're going to base our judgement off of morals rather than the actual bylaws/rules/regulations). But he will be. But the NCAA has no grounds to rule him ineligible.

Here is the NCAA Statement from today:

"Like everyone else, we are reviewing the final report for the first time today. As President Emmert wrote in his November 17th letter to Penn State President Rodney Erickson and reiterated this week, the university has four key questions, concerning compliance with institutional control and ethics policies, to which it now needs to respond. Penn State 's response to the letter will inform our next steps, including whether or not to take further action. We expect Penn State 's continued cooperation in our examination of these issues."

I think it is significant that there are "four key questions" that have been asked. The NCAA may not yet know if it will place sanctions (I don't buy it), but it clearly is looking and knows what it is looking for. Also, in reading the Freeh Report, the NCAA is specifically mentioned three times and each time it is regarding the school's compliance office. The report finds that Penn State 's compliance office was, and still is, "decentralized" and "significantly understaffed." Yahoo's NCAA Scandal Hunter, Charles Robinson who knows a lot about NCAA sanctions (he has covered all the most recent NCAA investigations), said today that a weak compliance office is often a sign of the NCAA's all-purpose boogeyman "Institutional Control." And, in this particular case, the lack of institutional control had everything to do with football.

With all this, I am leaning strongly to Penn State receiving sanctions. "When" is now the big question, but it won't likely happen until the Feds are done.

I just want to apologize for wanting Bradley as our DC and for believing that Paterno was partially blameless in this whole fiasco. Probably wrong thread for this but there are so many PSU threads I figured this was the one at the top.

I don't want the death penalty for PSU unless even more comes out of this. I haven't read the entire report, but to crush an entire University and college town for the horrible decisions of 5 men just seems too much for me. PSU is going to face an unreal amount of financial hardship from this and for me that will be enough. I still respect Paterno (and Bradley for that matter) the football coach, but I am disgusted by Paterno the man right now.

I would like to apologize, the night JoePa got fired, I was part of the supporters of Joe, saying "I'd be in happy valley rioting along with the students". Leaning what I know now, it's just unbelievable that Joe covered this up. It's so hard to comprehend how someone could do that. So just like to say, My bad guys.

I just want to apologize for wanting Bradley as our DC and for believing that Paterno was partially blameless in this whole fiasco. Probably wrong thread for this but there are so many PSU threads I figured this was the one at the top.

I don't want the death penalty for PSU unless even more comes out of this. I haven't read the entire report, but to crush an entire University and college town for the horrible decisions of 5 men just seems too much for me. PSU is going to face an unreal amount of financial hardship from this and for me that will be enough. I still respect Paterno (and Bradley for that matter) the football coach, but I am disgusted by Paterno the man right now.

Sometimes (often) institutions and organizations have to be held accountable for the actions of those who we choose to lead us. Make good choices.

If not the death penalty for this...then for what?

If the NCAA doesn't act on this, and I'm some member institution who's been sanctioned by the NCAA, then I'm in court ASAP suing those ba$tards.

This is a litmus test for the NCAA. They best not fail it.

Here is the NCAA Statement from today:

"Like everyone else, we are reviewing the final report for the first time today. As President Emmert wrote in his November 17th letter to Penn State President Rodney Erickson and reiterated this week, the university has four key questions, concerning compliance with institutional control and ethics policies, to which it now needs to respond. Penn State 's response to the letter will inform our next steps, including whether or not to take further action. We expect Penn State 's continued cooperation in our examination of these issues."

I think it is significant that there are "four key questions" that have been asked. The NCAA may not yet know if it will place sanctions (I don't buy it), but it clearly is looking and knows what it is looking for. Also, in reading the Freeh Report, the NCAA is specifically mentioned three times and each time it is regarding the school's compliance office. The report finds that Penn State 's compliance office was, and still is, "decentralized" and "significantly understaffed." Yahoo's NCAA Scandal Hunter, Charles Robinson who knows a lot about NCAA sanctions (he has covered all the most recent NCAA investigations), said today that a weak compliance office is often a sign of the NCAA's all-purpose boogeyman "Institutional Control." And, in this particular case, the lack of institutional control had everything to do with football.

With all this, I am leaning strongly to Penn State receiving sanctions. "When" is now the big question, but it won't likely happen until the Feds are done.

From that, it doesn't sound like anything close to death penalty. It's just a way to put something on them, but they be sanctioned for Sandusky/cover up. They'll get a slap on the wrist for having an understaffed compliance office, which won't do much to phase them.

From that, it doesn't sound like anything close to death penalty. It's just a way to put something on them, but they be sanctioned for Sandusky/cover up. They'll get a slap on the wrist for having an understaffed compliance office, which won't do much to phase them.

Yeah, no. The last thing the NCAA will do in this case is a slap on the wrist. They can either say that this does not fall within their purview or it's the worst thing ever and crush them. There won't be any half measures.

Yeah, no. The last thing the NCAA will do in this case is a slap on the wrist. They can either say that this does not fall within their purview or it's the worst thing ever and crush them. There won't be any half measures.

Then be ready to be disappointed, because there won't be any death penalty coming.

Lets say that they do get the death penalty. What happens to the current players that had nothing to do with it? Are they allowed to immediately transfer without penalty?

Lets say that they do get the death penalty. What happens to the current players that had nothing to do with it? Are they allowed to immediately transfer without penalty?

I could be wrong but I'm sure they would be allowed to transfer without a penalty. The only reason not to wold be if any of them had any sort of knowledge of this mess and that is doubtful.

Latest posts