Death penalty: PSU/SMU

BergHawk7

This is a big if, if penn st. Were to get the death penalty, do you think they would have the same affect on.their football program as SMU did in the 80s? Smu was this huge power house, but a small school. After the death penalty of no games for two years, their program fell hard, not going to a bowl game for 20 yrs, not even being relevent.

With the size and prestige that penn st has, would a two year death penalty do anything to them? would they completly fall like SMU?

1. The death penalty, or any sanctions from the NCAA for that matter, are unlikely to be brought upon Penn State. The whole business with Sandusky has been disgusting, if not downright evil. But is has nothing to do with what happens on the field, which is what the NCAA governs. Mark Emmert would be overstepping his bounds to level penalties against Penn State.

2. Even of it did happen, it wouldn't be as bad as what happened to SMU, because as you mentioned, PSU would have the resources to overcome it much earlier.

I think the death penalty is unlikely.

But in a couple years, I could see their 110k seat stadium with only 50k for games. Once the stench is on a program, it could be a long downhill road.

1. The death penalty, or any sanctions from the NCAA for that matter, are unlikely to be brought upon Penn State. The whole business with Sandusky has been disgusting, if not downright evil. But is has nothing to do with what happens on the field, which is what the NCAA governs. Mark Emmert would be overstepping his bounds to level penalties against Penn State.2. Even of it did happen, it wouldn't be as bad as what happened to SMU, because as you mentioned, PSU would have the resources to overcome it much earlier.

if you cant make connections between what happened at psu to on filed advantages and what the NCAA governs then you arent going to be a very good journalist.

If this isn't the definition of a lack of institutional control than what is? It directly involves the head coach assistant coaches the AD and on up the food chain. I say give every kid and in coming recruit the ability to transfer out with no strings if they want and give PSU the death penalty. Obviously it's not the kids fault so if they want out they should be able to. But the high ups in the school have no buisness making the big money that school normally would be bringing in. They deserve to be more than just publicly embarrassed

I agree that what happened at PSU was a cover-up to protect the football program, hence on field results.

However, SMU got the death penalty because they got caught, penalized, and didn't stop. So, PSU won't get the death penalty. But they will get hammered with institutional control issues. I expect a penalty somewhere between USC and OSU, but closer to OSU. I also expect them to let the university level it on themselves. This lets everyone save face and helps the NCAA not have to set a new precedent.

I also expect them to shut down Paternoville.

The top people at Penn St, including the HC, AD, and Pres) covered up crimes that they knew were taking place on their campus in order preserve their football program. They covered it up because the scandal of having their defensive coordinator arrested for sexually assaulting children would have damaged their reputation which they feared would affect recruiting, attendence, and financial contributions to their program. All of these things would impact the outcome on the field. This is the very definiation of lack of institutional control. Is this ******* clear to everyone now?

The top people at Penn St, including the HC, AD, and Pres) covered up crimes that they knew were taking place on their campus in order preserve their football program. They covered it up because the scandal of having their defensive coordinator arrested for sexually assaulting children would have damaged their reputation which they feared would affect recruiting, attendence, and financial contributions to their program. All of these things would impact the outcome on the field. This is the very definiation of lack of institutional control. Is this ******* clear to everyone now?
Amen. Will the NCAA have the b a l l s to do the right thing is the next question.

if you cant make connections between what happened at psu to on filed advantages and what the NCAA governs then you arent going to be a very good journalist.

If you can point out what regulations were broken, I'd love to see it. The only way you could realistically say Penn State gained an advantage by covering this up would be if Sandusky had been allowed to remain on as DC after the '98 investigation. But he wasn't a member of the football staff after that, so that connection doesn't exist.

Penn State broke no NCAA rules. The NCAA can't, and shouldn't, punish them because what happened was wrong on a moral level, or even a criminal one. That's the job of the Justice Department.

I agree that what happened at PSU was a cover-up to protect the football program, hence on field results.

However, SMU got the death penalty because they got caught, penalized, and didn't stop. So, PSU won't get the death penalty. But they will get hammered with institutional control issues. I expect a penalty somewhere between USC and OSU, but closer to OSU. I also expect them to let the university level it on themselves. This lets everyone save face and helps the NCAA not have to set a new precedent.

To protect the football program's reputation. But false advertising isn't illegal when it comes to college sports. They didn't break any NCAA regulations.

The precedent is precisely why the NCAA isn't going to level any sanctions. This isn't an issue for them to handle. It's far too important for the NCAA.

not-this-again.jpg

Penn State should be kicked out of the Big Ten conference. The actions of the PSU athletic department officials (Paterno, Curley), and administrators (Schultz, Spannier) to enable a child predator for 13 years (using university property) while a member of the Big Ten conference, should be grounds for dismissal from the conference.

The actions of the these four men (that provided Sandusky cover to use his status as a coach and university facilities to groom his young victims) are much worse than paying off players, or academic fraud, since the victims were young children.

I view conference affiliation as like being a member of an exclusive country club. If you do something so wrong that it makes the club look bad, they get rid of you.

The Big Ten needs to do the right thing (even if it hurts them financially) and kick Penn State out.

Last edited:
I think the death penalty is unlikely.But in a couple years, I could see their 110k seat stadium with only 50k for games. Once the stench is on a program, it could be a long downhill road.

I have less faith in humanity than you. I think there will be little impact for PSU unless they get the death penalty. Even then, they will still rake in tons of support if their recent fundraising. haul is any indication.