Dear Mike Gesell

While we all want more, he is one of three Hawkeyes to ever amass 800+ points, 350+ assists, 200+ rebounds and 100+ steals his freshmen through junior seasons (Jeff Horner and Dean Oliver are the other two). He currently sits at 1049 points (currently 41st all-time), 521 assists (currently 4th all-time), 313 rebounds and 154 steals (currently tied for 9th all-time). He's well on his way to being one of the top point guards in Iowa men's basketball history.

Do I think he could have done better? Well, yeah. I think every one of the players could have done better here or there. But his body of work over the past four years speaks for itself.

Very few players start for 4 years. I would be curious to know how his senior stats are compared to other 4 year starters. After his freshman and sophomore years, I thought he would end up one of the best point guards in Iowa history. After his junior year, I though he would finish strong his senior year. It just never happened with him. He's ok, but he could have been great.

He may not be anywhere near great, but him and Clemmons are truly all we have at the PG spot right now that can contribute. There's a reason his minutes haven't fallen off.

W/out MG vs. OSU and this Hawk team woulda got killed. He kept us in the game. Solid pg a lot of teams would love to have.

Yay!! Mike has a game where he doesn't reach JU or Jok's averages and he gets praise for not letting iowa get blown out. Yay!! We didn't get killed!!!

For you people that don't want Gesell to start or play what is your solution? MG is a better three point shooter and free throw shooter than Clemmons. So he probably isn't a better solution. Would you suggest Williams get MG's minutes?

Keep finding ways to try and be positive and try to be the cool guy on the message boards. Mike has shown ZERO improvement on the offensive side of the ball during his 4 years. He gets owned at the rim by the big boys. His jump shot looks like Caitlyn Jenner's face. He has NO leadership of the team and he's a 4 year starting PG.

Like I've said. I have nothing against Mike and wish him the best. But I'm just being honest and realistic. I'm not going to sit here and say something I don't believe and try to be Mr. positive because I might get in trouble on a Message Board. This is life, and I call it as is. If you think Gesell is a great PG and doesn't deserve criticism from our fan base..then your expectations are garbage.

I'm trying to be the cool guy for being appreciative of a pg who has led us to 3 ncaa tourneys in a row? You're right we should have played that other all american pg we have. Oh wait we don't have one to plug in instead? What's your problem? Want to plug in Puff the Magic Dragon? What is your point? He is as good as he is. He doesn't care about you. You sure have your panties in a bunch about him though. Good for you. Go back to the ISU board.

Gesell with a horrible turnover when we come all the way back and tie it. Then tries to lay it up over a tree with 2 minutes left down 1 and gets stuffed by the rim and we foul instantly

Bump. Guy is just not clutch. He has cost us so many games by not being able to make something happen in crunch time. I know he tries and cares and I thank him for that..but he just chokes time and time again

He may have done us a favor by coming to Iowa when it was down. But he's certainly doing us no favors now.

The program will automatically get better when he graduates. One of the most overrated recruits in Iowa history. Good riddance.

Gesell with a horrible turnover when we come all the way back and tie it. Then tries to lay it up over a tree with 2 minutes left down 1 and gets stuffed by the rim and we foul instantly
Last few possessions - from 10 feet out in FT lane, MG shoots and misses rim entirely clank it off backboard, that was shocking!
Next trip down two, 14 seconds left he dribble down to the right and get picked. Then dives for ball (lucky no foul called) and Iowa gets ball back.

Then MG is given the ball to for in bounds play. Throws it away. How frickin awful for a 4 year starter. He just panics when it matters.
Wish this kid the best, but will not miss him.

BTW most of his assists are chest passes to Jok or Jerrod coming off screens making jump shots, not exactly high risk passes nor is it creating opportunities for easy baskets for teammates. How many times in his career has he penetrated and dished for an easy bucket. Not many. His assist/turnover ration is VERY misleading.

Blame game is getting old here. Guys come on...

when the shoe fits, wear it.

If it weren't for Aaron White carrying that team down the stretch last year it would be 3 years in a row with collapses down the stretch and limping into the tournament with mediocre seeds. These seniors record in close game is embarrassing.

I sure hope they figure out something but I don't really expect them to. Hard to win NCAA tournament games when you have trouble winning a game decided by less than 5 points.

when the shoe fits, wear it.

If it weren't for Aaron White carrying that team down the stretch last year it would be 3 years in a row with collapses down the stretch and limping into the tournament with mediocre seeds. These seniors record in close game is embarrassing.

I sure hope they figure out something but I don't really expect them to. Hard to win NCAA tournament games when you have trouble winning a game decided by less than 5 points.

There's only one solution.

If your name is Jok or Uthoff, you are under orders to shoot the ball if you touch the ball. It doesn't matter if you don't have a clean look at the rim, as the odds of one of those two making a contested/circus shot is better than 1 in 19.

Anyone else shoots it, they're planted on the end of the bench.

There's only one solution.

If your name is Jok or Uthoff, you are under orders to shoot the ball if you touch the ball. It doesn't matter if you don't have a clean look at the rim, as the odds of one of those two making a contested/circus shot is better than 1 in 19.

Anyone else shoots it, they're planted on the end of the bench.

Thunder, I get the feeling by looking at the other kids, they're almost afraid to shoot it, but they have to b/c time is running out....Why am I so scared when MG, Sapp, Uhl, get their damn hands on the ball? It's ultimately a turnover, or a clanked shot, maddening....

Latest posts