Dear Kirk

NCHawker

September will be here in a blink of an eye. And you’ll have to go on offense. Those are the rules. How are you going to be sure you’re competitive?

Maybe it’s time to quit fussing about replay, injuries and resilience

What exactly is Kirk's incentive to change?

ZERO outright Big Ten championships.

Two shared championships.

25 years at the helm and he his seat is as cold as ice.

What exactly is Kirk's incentive to change?

ZERO outright Big Ten championships.

Two shared championships.

25 years at the helm and he his seat is as cold as ice.
His incentive to change is that above all he wants to win. He did not just fall off the turnip truck. He does not care about $$. He does not care about personal accolades. He knows full well that our O must step up. I think the biggest and most positive variable is that the pressure of having to justify his son as OC is now in the rear view mirror. It may not be over night, but KF will change the O.

His incentive to change is that above all he wants to win. He did not just fall off the turnip truck. He does not care about $$. He does not care about personal accolades. He knows full well that our O must step up. I think the biggest and most positive variable is that the pressure of having to justify his son as OC is now in the rear view mirror. It may not be over night, but KF will change the O.
Good post. Kirk has reinvented himself when he has needed to more than anyone, but he does so while still being Kirk which has allowed his teams an impressive floor (yes, I say this seriously). He's at the point in life where he's doing it purely because he still enjoys it. It's easy to forget sometimes, but he'd like to win one as much as anyone. I just hope he doesn't have so much hubris that he won't give up some control in the name of winning. Look what's happened in New England with an old guy who refuses to give up control in the areas that he is lacking. Nick Saban wouldn't be at Alabama anymore if he still had an iron grip on the offense.

Most coaches go downhill pretty fast when old age kicks in. Jo Pa, Bobby Bowden, Bear Bryant, Hayden Fry, to name a few. Is Kirk going to stick around for awhile yet??? The same will probably happen to him also. Young kids do not always want to play for an old coach. It has happened before.

Most coaches go downhill pretty fast when old age kicks in. Jo Pa, Bobby Bowden, Bear Bryant, Hayden Fry, to name a few. Is Kirk going to stick around for awhile yet??? The same will probably happen to him also. Young kids do not always want to play for an old coach. It has happened before.
I'd honestly be surprised if there's a super strong correlation between age of HC and player relations. I can just as easily see young hot heads alienating players.

Good post. Kirk has reinvented himself when he has needed to more than anyone, but he does so while still being Kirk which has allowed his teams an impressive floor (yes, I say this seriously). He's at the point in life where he's doing it purely because he still enjoys it. It's easy to forget sometimes, but he'd like to win one as much as anyone. I just hope he doesn't have so much hubris that he won't give up some control in the name of winning. Look what's happened in New England with an old guy who refuses to give up control in the areas that he is lacking. Nick Saban wouldn't be at Alabama anymore if he still had an iron grip on the offense.
There's a certain irony when it comes to Kirk.

Over the years, fans have continually harped on his "stubbornness," "rigidity" and "old-fashioned ways," yet, he has shown incredible resiliency at points of his career by reinventing the program and righting the ship just when it felt that all was lost ('07 comes to mind).

In fairness, he has been the beneficiary of an extremely forgiving and patient administration and group of boosters. Most coaches get jettisoned and never get the opportunity to demonstrate that ability. Nevertheless, he has done it at least twice in his tenure and that's not easy.

He does care, and he's not an idiot. I personally wish he would be a little more proactive in identifying and correcting issues, but, therein lies a portion of the irony - part of what makes Kirk Kirk is that he's not reactive and impulsive, and like them or not those traits have directly factored into his longevity.

Good comments here people, however if he really was looking at the future of this program, there is no f____Ing way Brian should be coaching the bowl game. First of all, he technically got fired, thank you Beth, last night just confirmed why. Bowl games, especially as un-important as this one is, are for prep of players who might play next year, while rewarding the upper class, why in hell would you want to allow a fired OC to f___ up the players for 2024.

What have you seen in 25 years that gives you the impression he's going to change the O now at the end of his career?

What have you seen in 25 years that gives you the impression he's going to change the O now at the end of his career?
Absolutely, nothing, however if nothing else, cosmetically sending Brian off on his cruise, or whatever you do being paid 800K a year to f___ up, would feel good. You are hitting on the big picture here my friend, Dad should join him with one of those umbrella drinks.

This.

Nice comparison between NE's coach and Saban.

KF is so much like the NE coach it's comical. Saban was smart and look where it's gotten him. The NE coach lost Brady and now he's done. He just hasn't been fired yet. It won't be long.

FWIW, I can't stand Saban, but give him credit for turning the offense over to guys who knew Alabama had to compete offensively in today's game and not be stuck in old fashioned offensive football.

September will be here in a blink of an eye. And you’ll have to go on offense. Those are the rules. How are you going to be sure you’re competitive?

Maybe it’s time to quit fussing about replay, injuries and resilience
I do think the calls in the title game were a direct response to Kirk's criticism (justly made) from the Big Ten officials.

I truly believe that he very driven to get the all-time BIG wins record.
It would be nice to get the record by winning meaningful games against top 20 competition not just scheduled wins and Big 10 programs down on their luck.

Nice comparison between NE's coach and Saban.

KF is so much like the NE coach it's comical. Saban was smart and look where it's gotten him. The NE coach lost Brady and now he's done. He just hasn't been fired yet. It won't be long.

FWIW, I can't stand Saban, but give him credit for turning the offense over to guys who knew Alabama had to compete offensively in today's game and not be stuck in old fashioned offensive football.
Except one has a 2-10 record this year and the other is 10-3. Different levels, of course. But KF has clearly not lost his touch. It's tough to say the same about Belichich.

Latest posts