Deandre Johnson seeing rumors on other sites he may be next to leave.

johnson isnt terrible. rb is the easiest position to fill it seems (for most teams even just a decent one). we have johnson, canzeri, white, garmon (coming), and probably another recruit. we will be fine. rogers is a fb and by far our best look at how the running picked up when he got back and i would say he was only 75 or 80 percent at the time. bullock is a wr he was put at rb for depth. when he was recruited it was predicted he would be a wr. johnson was actually the better runner between him and bullock during the season. i believe johnson got dinged up and that is why he was low on the depth chart for the bowl game. from all accounts he is going to classes and that would mean he will be there next year.

johnson isnt terrible. rb is the easiest position to fill it seems (for most teams even just a decent one). we have johnson, canzeri, white, garmon (coming), and probably another recruit. we will be fine. rogers is a fb and by far our best look at how the running picked up when he got back and i would say he was only 75 or 80 percent at the time. bullock is a wr he was put at rb for depth. when he was recruited it was predicted he would be a wr. johnson was actually the better runner between him and bullock during the season. i believe johnson got dinged up and that is why he was low on the depth chart for the bowl game. from all accounts he is going to classes and that would mean he will be there next year.

White is gone. He's graduating and is going to take what he came here for (his degree) and put it to use.

Agree on the comparison of Bullock/Johnson. Bullock averaged 2 yards per carry (10 carries), and Johnson averaged 4.4 on 18 carries. Johnson definitely looked better.

so is white graduating early because i thought he was a junior.
He's a redshirt junior, graduating in 4 years.

thank you. didnt realize that. good for him. still leaves us with enough rbs in my opinion. outside of 1 yr we have always been able to field a capable back. easy position to fill.

best guess: johnson and canzeri start high on depth and garmon takes over at some point. plus i still think we bring in another and we have dawson (forgot about him) who could be serviceable. bullock will probably be our #3 wr since he was #3 or 4 before the injury to mccall.

We can't afford to lose any more players in general at this time! Especially we can't afford to lose another running back who is from FLORIDA! If we have any interest at all in recruiting florida with its vast talent, we need kids to have a positive experience here. Johnson had an ACL tear in high school and we honored his scholarship. He was a shot put champion in high school. I personally hope he stays at iowa. Our success with florida kids has not been good since bielema left frankly. As much as i love iowa, i live in florida and i know first hand the massive amount of talent here. Getting them to come and stay at iowa is another thing. If these kids don't have a real chance to play right away, and we continue to play average players above them, then we might as well forget recruiting here. I am not saying johnson will be a star, but i do think he could contribute. We should be playing 4 running backs, not 1. That , however, is for another thread

The kid came in as a 3* RB prospect with the only true major offers being from Iowa and Minnesota. He was also recruited by Kaczenski and since Kaz is now at Nebraska I'm sure the kid felt / feels his prospects of playing were / are going to be limited.

He didn't get many carries but when he did he averaged 4.4 +/- per carry. He (like most college players) probably felt he was better than what the coaches were offering in playing time and felt that it was in his best interest to leave the program and get a fresh start.

As mentioned above, this whole thing about playing 1 RB is ridiculous. Keep them fresh, keep them interested, keep them motivated.

Last edited:
name a year other than 2011 where kf played 1 rb at the percentages he did coker. i dont know of any. he plays the players that are ready and able. if mccall doesnt get hurt i see the carries coming out more like greene and hampton had. but he got hurt so kf leaned on the proven commodity rather than go to rbs he was sure of. if mccall gets hampton type frosh carries do you think he leaves (doubt it). take out the off field stuff and look at it as an on the field situation and this is an outlier of a season for rb duty at iowa. next year i expect to be like robinson and wegher with 2 or 3 backs splitting the time. then if 1 out plays the others he will get a higher percentage of the carries.

The kid came in as a 3* RB prospect with the only true major offers being from Iowa and Minnesota. He was also recruited by Kaczenski and since Kaz is now at Nebraska I'm sure the kid felt / feels his prospects of playing were / are going to be limited.

He didn't get many carries but when he did he averaged 4.4 +/- per carry. He (like most college players) probably felt he was better than what the coaches were offering in playing time and felt that it was in his best interest to leave the program and get a fresh start.

As mentioned above, this whole thing about playing 1 RB is ridiculous. Keep them fresh, keep them interested, keep them motivated.
Slow down dude. You're talking like he's already gone.

I've had the chance to meet DJ a few times. He's a super, super nice kid. Seems bright. He's articulate and polite. I'm always pulling for him to do well on the field. Being a Hawkeye doesn't mean you have to break all the records and have the biggest following on facebook. It means you study, represent yourself and your school well, and do everything you can to excel on the field. Anyone who says he's no loss is viewing things through a very narrow lens. This isn't specific to DJ of course. It's shocking to see people hang these kids out to dry so easily. Thankfully it seems to be a very small subset of fans who feel the need to spout off on kids in a public forum.

Well said. I'll take a good kid over a great football player any day...I'd love to have both though!

Agree so why doesn't KOK and KF utilize the talent they have in different ways. Playing kids in different sets etc.?

Latest posts