Deace pick for Iowa/ Arizona

Oh my gosh, I'm soooooooo worried about this game. In fact, I'm worried about every game. I'm a nervous nelly. I think the sky is falling.

In reality, shouldn't we all have a tinge of worry/excitment/anxiety/nerves for every game the Hawks play. I mean, with how they tend to play at their opponents level, as demonstrated last year, no game is a given. With the fairly high expectations, we all expect as a fan base, let's conceed that every game is worth a little worry.
Seriously, is anyone really less worried about playing Penn State and Michigan State, than Arizona or Iowa State. It's college football and the fun of it is that sometimes odd things can happen. In other words, there is always the possibility for the unexpected.

What do you expect they will do to change things with the late night game in the desert?

For the person who made the sexist remark about playing late, it makes a difference. The problem is the difference is not immediately evident to the players themselves. This lets a team jump out in front. Then the problem is that you end the game a lot of times after midnight, which means there is often a lull in energy at the end of the game as well. You can talk macho all you want, but this is about physiology, not effort.[/QUOTE]

Your assertions here, on changes in physiology when faced with time changes etc, are based on which scientific studies? (Please note before you answer: I actually know a bit about this subject).

Back to the original topic of this thread I just listened to Jon and Deace break down his top 25 and Deace has us beating OSU but losing two games this season (he didn't say which ones) and then going to the Rose Bowl. BTW Deace has Boise St and Oklahoma playing for the NC.

Okay, go sign up for any one of the myriad of knitting circles in your town and the surrounding towns and see who is there. You can be the lone heterosexual male who attempts to break the knitting gender barrier. But, nice try anyway.

I'm male. I'm straight.

My wife knits. She taught me how to knit. I'm not good at it, but I try every now and then and it passes the time.

But, nice try anyway.

Back to the original topic of this thread I just listened to Jon and Deace break down his top 25 and Deace has us beating OSU but losing two games this season (he didn't say which ones) and then going to the Rose Bowl. BTW Deace has Boise St and Oklahoma playing for the NC.

He's probably thinking "Arizona and Wisconsin" while hoping for an emotional orgasm of "Iowa State and Michigan"...

I don't want to hear anything about time zones and start times. If that effects your game, there is a knitting class down the hall and you should not be playing D-1 football. As for the 2004 ASU game, we got blown out, what can you say. Better team won that day.

You really have to be trying to find something inappropriate it in that comment, let alone to persist in an absurd argument.

Actually, I see a lot of people trying really hard to pretend that it wasn't sexist. The first statement was dripping with machismo, and fairly ignorant, considering that Kirk Ferentz himself has talked about the challenges of playing night games on the road. Perhaps the poster would like to show up to a team meeting and tell Coach to take a knitting class in front of all the players. Or is this another classic case of ITGS? (Internet Tough Guy Syndrome)

The second half of this game will start around 11pm CDT, a time when Iowa's players will be used to either sleeping or getting drunk. It's a real adjustment, and if you don't make the adjustment correctly, you can find yourself at a disadvantage. It's not like it's an accident that Zona and ASU schedule these games for so late at night. They know what they're doing. Either that, or the 2004 Iowa Hawkeyes were just a bunch of "p*****s" who didn't belong in D1 football. Perhaps you'd like to go find Scott Chandler and tell him that to his face.

Or you could just acknowledge that it was a kinda dumb, juvenile, and sexist comment to invoke one of the most female-identified pastimes in our society as a criticism for someone who supposedly isn't "man" enough for football.

And then move on...

I have a lot of confidence that the coaches and the players will make the necessary adjustments to play much better at Arizona than the 2004 Hawkeyes did at Arizona State. I also think the Hawkeyes will be a much better team than Arizona, but that's with the expectation that the young OL develops nicely in camp and in the first two games of the season. Arizona will probably need some Stanziballs to score more than about 13-14 points, if that, against the Iowa defense. If Iowa's offense shows the same inconsistencies as last year, they'll probably be right there in the teens with Arizona, and it will be a barn-burner. If we see some offensive improvement, then I do see a big Hawkeye margin of victory as a legitimate possibility.

Actually, I see a lot of people trying really hard to pretend that it wasn't sexist. The first statement was dripping with machismo, and fairly ignorant, considering that Kirk Ferentz himself has talked about the challenges of playing night games on the road. Perhaps the poster would like to show up to a team meeting and tell Coach to take a knitting class in front of all the players. Or is this another classic case of ITGS? (Internet Tough Guy Syndrome)

The second half of this game will start around 11pm CDT, a time when Iowa's players will be used to either sleeping or getting drunk. It's a real adjustment, and if you don't make the adjustment correctly, you can find yourself at a disadvantage. It's not like it's an accident that Zona and ASU schedule these games for so late at night. They know what they're doing. Either that, or the 2004 Iowa Hawkeyes were just a bunch of "p*****s" who didn't belong in D1 football. Perhaps you'd like to go find Scott Chandler and tell him that to his face.

Or you could just acknowledge that it was a kinda dumb, juvenile, and sexist comment to invoke one of the most female-identified pastimes in our society as a criticism for someone who supposedly isn't "man" enough for football.

And then move on...

I have a lot of confidence that the coaches and the players will make the necessary adjustments to play much better at Arizona than the 2004 Hawkeyes did at Arizona State. I also think the Hawkeyes will be a much better team than Arizona, but that's with the expectation that the young OL develops nicely in camp and in the first two games of the season. Arizona will probably need some Stanziballs to score more than about 13-14 points, if that, against the Iowa defense. If Iowa's offense shows the same inconsistencies as last year, they'll probably be right there in the teens with Arizona, and it will be a barn-burner. If we see some offensive improvement, then I do see a big Hawkeye margin of victory as a legitimate possibility.

I'm sure temperatures over 100 degrees well after the sun sets has nothing to do with the late start times.

And then move on...

Hey Nancy...the ASU game was also delayed due to the remnants of a friggen hurricane blowing through. There are reasons why these games are played late at night...and those reasons have nothing to do with a competitive advantage toward the home team.

Clearly Kirk Ferentz will address the fact that they'll be playing later and will have his team adjust their schedules the week leading up to the game...that just makes sense.

As far as your criticism of Internet Tough Guys...get a life. Of course people don't act the same on an internet message board as they would in a team meeting...just as I don't act the same way when I'm sipping wine at church as I do when I'm sipping beer at the bar.

I would also imagine that you're just attemping to be argumentative and that if you made the argument from your first paragraph to your "real life" friends...they would ridicule you for a while. I'm pretty sure even Scott Chandler would tell you you're being gay.

Latest posts