DC job posted

Phil was our acting coordinater for a while.

Yep, pretty much think they would say his experience last year would count even though he wasn't actually named interim DC.

BTW: This is the standard UI hiring format. Same for faculty, admin, etc.

Hmmm..how do you read that? As, if you have not been a coordinator before, do not apply?

I have experience with the UI hiring process both from the job seeking and the job offering sides. The Coordinator Experience item is listed under Desirable Qualifications, not Experience Required. That means that they will give preference to applicants with coordinator experience, but they will not rule out applicants without it. Put another way, DQ is where you daydream about your perfect candidate; ER is where you describe the worst-case scenario candidate.

Can't wait to see the first post claiming that this is going to take even more attention away from Norm's retirement.

My view: this should've been posted the day after Norm announced his retirement.

Maybe you can enlighten all of us and tell us what difference it matters if posted today or 3 weeks ago.

Nobody that sends in a resume and cover letter is getting this job. It is a technicality that it has to be posted. This isn't your typical job posting and KF and Barta sort through applicants and bring in 5 or 6 for interviews.

I'm sure KF has in mind who Norm's replacement will be and that person probably won't "apply" until after being hired.

here is to hoping for aiken. nothing against parker just prefer aiken and his dl abilities to get us back where we belong with the dl.

This makes a lot of sense. Right now the two coaching positions Iowa is looking to fill are the DL and LB's. You can bring Aiken in to be the DC and coach the DL and promote LeVar Woods to LB's coach which is the position he played so he would know something about that position.

Maybe you can enlighten all of us and tell us what difference it matters if posted today or 3 weeks ago.

Because 3 weeks ago shows that we're ready to move on from Norm. Acknowledging that fact doesn't take a thing away from Norm or Ferentz.

Instead, it looks like Ferentz refuses to let go. If he knows who the new coordinator is, then just name them and move on so we don't have to deal with stupid speculation, like whether we'll find out who the new DC is from a recruit because they were told (and only told this huge state secret because NCAA rules might demand it).

And that's really a big problem for this program in general: they just flat out seem to revel in letting speculation run wild, when if they knew the first damn thing about PR they could head off some of the crap.

Because 3 weeks ago shows that we're ready to move on from Norm. Acknowledging that fact doesn't take a thing away from Norm or Ferentz.Instead, it looks like Ferentz refuses to let go. If he knows who the new coordinator is, then just name them and move on so we don't have to deal with stupid speculation, like whether we'll find out who the new DC is from a recruit because they were told (and only told this huge state secret because NCAA rules might demand it).And that's really a big problem for this program in general: they just flat out seem to revel in letting speculation run wild, when if they knew the first damn thing about PR they could head off some of the crap.

Aiken has a season to finish. If its an inside hire no reason to announce.

Hmmm..how do you read that? As, if you have not been a coordinator before, do not apply?

Desirable Qualifications:

Coordinator experience in NCAA FBS, FCS and/or Professional Football (or combined equivalent). Ability to effectively meet the development and recruiting needs of The University of Iowa football program.

I think 'desirable' is the operative word there.

Again, this is standard university procedure. You people keep acting like this is a pro team. Look at all the job openings at the university. They do exactly the same thing. They have to advertise, give a reasonable amount of time for people to apply, and all apps have to go through the equal opportunity office.

Now, if it is Parker, there will be another spot available. But they could fill that by promoting Woods, just like they did with Kacs.

Last edited:
I gave up trying to explain the formality aspect in the previous thread. It's better just to play into their emotions to encourage them to actually submit applications. Useless, but therapeutic for them nonetheless.

Because 3 weeks ago shows that we're ready to move on from Norm. Acknowledging that fact doesn't take a thing away from Norm or Ferentz.

Instead, it looks like Ferentz refuses to let go. If he knows who the new coordinator is, then just name them and move on so we don't have to deal with stupid speculation, like whether we'll find out who the new DC is from a recruit because they were told (and only told this huge state secret because NCAA rules might demand it).

And that's really a big problem for this program in general: they just flat out seem to revel in letting speculation run wild, when if they knew the first damn thing about PR they could head off some of the crap.

Even if this was posted 3 weeks ago it doesn't mean they would have made a hire by now, in fact I am 100% sure a hire wouldn't have been made by now even if posted 3 weeks ago.

Some of you people have no idea how this process even works and just assume that since nobody has been named a DC that Barta and KF and the rest of the people involved are just sitting on their a** and doing nothing which couldn't be further from the truth.

And the speculation about a DC, are you kidding me? The right people know what is going on and so do recruits. The general public doesn't need to know what is going on behind the scenes. If rumors start flying so be it, but the University doesn't owe anyone anything about speculation rumors.

I'm telling you, they made a definitive mistake. They could have booted Norm out the door after his last official duty was to post the opening for his own job. Then none of this message board speculation would be in play and peace would exist among Hawkeye Nation.

In fact, they should have just hired the next guy and maybe let Norm fetch his coffee for his last official act...just as a precautionary measure, so there was no confusion.

I'm telling you, they made a definitive mistake. They could have booted Norm out the door after his last official duty was to post the opening for his own job. Then none of this message board speculation would be in play and peace would exist among Hawkeye Nation.In fact, they should have just hired the next guy and maybe let Norm fetch his coffee for his last official act...just as a precautionary measure, so there was no confusion.

Or not

If it were Phil Parker, I don't get why we don't already know. Maybe they'll wait till after the bowl (obviously), but it seams like hiring within wouldn't make waves amongst the team.

If it were Phil Parker, I don't get why we don't already know. Maybe they'll wait till after the bowl (obviously), but it seams like hiring within wouldn't make waves amongst the team.

It's all a great mystery that will be solved in 2 weeks or so.

That's if all of the "insiders" don't have it solved before then.

Aiken has a season to finish. If its an inside hire no reason to announce.

I don't disagree.

But if it's Aiken, Iowa could have also simply announced that and that he wouldn't join the team until his duties were finished with his current employer. Problem solved, speculation ended.

There was a thread the other day about how Norm isn't getting enough attention in all of this. Well, not having the new DC named is a big part of the reason why.

If rumors start flying so be it, but the University doesn't owe anyone anything about speculation rumors.

Because that's worked out SO WELL for the university recently.

Latest posts