Dave Curtis of the Sporting News' Response to my Email

NeilDiamond

I sent him an email today in response to his article on Iowa.

Me:

Are you just assuming that UT is going to go undefeated? They could easily lose next week at OSU and if that occurrs and Iowa wins out, Iowa will be in the NC game at 12-0. Such a record would include wins at PSU, Wisc, MSU and OSU. Right now Iowa has 3 wins over 3 teams in the top 25 of the BCS, nobody else has that. Bottom line is that to write such a definitive and condescending article at this juncture is ridiculous.

Dave:

I think Texas will go undefeated. It's a tough haul for OSU without their top LB (Orie Lemon), probably their top WR (Dez Bryant) and maybe their top RB (Kendall Hunter, who hasn't played since Sept. 11).

And even if Iowa win out, and Texas loses, USC could still sneak ahead of them at 11-1. It's no comparison by the numbers (Iowa wins), but the coaches and Harris polls right now show the numbers don't matter too much. The Big Ten's rep will hurt Iowa. The Arky State and N. Iowa games will hurt Iowa. And the fact that most of the good teams have 1-2 regular-season games after Iowa is done will hurt, too.

I love this Hawkeyes team and think they should get a crack at the NC. In this system, I don't see it happening.

-DC

Me:

If an 11-1 USC team jumps an undefeated Iowa to get into the NC game, the B10 will secede from the BCS. Can you imagine DeLany's reaction to that situation? While B10 bashing is as en vouge as Ugg boots, the fact remains that it is still #1 in terms of amount of fans, academics, prestige, markets and most of all money to any conference in the country.

I have not heard of this scenario with USC from anyone besides you. In fact, every article I have read on the BCS has stated that an undefeated Iowa team would play for the NC if UT loses. So Iowa played 2 early games tight against bad teams. USC lost to a horrible Wash team. Does 2 tight games now equal a loss? Does Will Farrell and Snoop Dog on the sidelines even things out? I am confused.

It is sad that CFB is a bikini contest, but such is life.

As to Texas---To imply that they will just throw their jocks on the field and beat OSU is rediculous. I have been completely unimpressed by them this year. They beat up on an average Mizzou team that played poorly. Wonderful. I think OSU beat the hell out of them as well the week before. If UT loses next week--give another shout out to the Hawks in your articles.

Wow, that's a pretty solid response by him. He makes a good point about T. Boone Pickens U having their top guys out, but I still think this will be an extremely tough on for Texas. They haven't played a quality team in a hostile environment yet and I personally think that even with the guys out, TBPU is still better that Oklahoma is right now. If TBPU can stay tight until the 4th, I think they can do something special (hopefully they pull it off, unlike Arkansas, Oregon St, and Tennessee).

I sent him an email today in response to his article on Iowa.

Me:

Are you just assuming that UT is going to go undefeated? They could easily lose next week at OSU and if that occurrs and Iowa wins out, Iowa will be in the NC game at 12-0. Such a record would include wins at PSU, Wisc, MSU and OSU. Right now Iowa has 3 wins over 3 teams in the top 25 of the BCS, nobody else has that. Bottom line is that to write such a definitive and condescending article at this juncture is ridiculous.

Dave:

I think Texas will go undefeated. It's a tough haul for OSU without their top LB (Orie Lemon), probably their top WR (Dez Bryant) and maybe their top RB (Kendall Hunter, who hasn't played since Sept. 11).

And even if Iowa win out, and Texas loses, USC could still sneak ahead of them at 11-1. It's no comparison by the numbers (Iowa wins), but the coaches and Harris polls right now show the numbers don't matter too much. The Big Ten's rep will hurt Iowa. The Arky State and N. Iowa games will hurt Iowa. And the fact that most of the good teams have 1-2 regular-season games after Iowa is done will hurt, too.

I love this Hawkeyes team and think they should get a crack at the NC. In this system, I don't see it happening.

-DC

Me:

If an 11-1 USC team jumps an undefeated Iowa to get into the NC game, the B10 will secede from the BCS. Can you imagine DeLany's reaction to that situation? While B10 bashing is as en vouge as Ugg boots, the fact remains that it is still #1 in terms of amount of fans, academics, prestige, markets and most of all money to any conference in the country.

I have not heard of this scenario with USC from anyone besides you. In fact, every article I have read on the BCS has stated that an undefeated Iowa team would play for the NC if UT loses. So Iowa played 2 early games tight against bad teams. USC lost to a horrible Wash team. Does 2 tight games now equal a loss? Does Will Farrell and Snoop Dog on the sidelines even things out? I am confused.

It is sad that CFB is a bikini contest, but such is life.

As to Texas---To imply that they will just throw their jocks on the field and beat OSU is rediculous. I have been completely unimpressed by them this year. They beat up on an average Mizzou team that played poorly. Wonderful. I think OSU beat the hell out of them as well the week before. If UT loses next week--give another shout out to the Hawks in your articles.

The guy provided a pretty solid response. I think you lost your credibility with the "rebuttal", one "me" was plenty.

I will cant hardly beleive USC can jump over a undefeated Iowa team. If this happened the BCS is done completley. The whole thing is a joke anyway but I think any fair minded people would agree its like ACORN and their voter registration (A BIG FREAKIN FRAUD)!!!!!!!

Latest posts