Dasonte Bowen Discusses Iowa Basketball Official Visit

Jack could end up being the best of the 3.

Fran should get a Garza bounce. It is well deserved.

Speaking of Garza, Fran's two biggest strengths as a coach are identifying high level players early in their high school cycles before other coaches see it, AND developing talent once it is on campus. If you think about all of the All-Big Ten guys Fran has had, most of them were not studs coming out of high school (Marble and White come to mind), but Fran squeezed every bit of talent from them available.

Fran's weaknesses have been putting together a complete roster, and in-game coaching, especially in tournament settings.
White was more of an underrated recruit than he was a project that developed a lot in college. He made the all freshman team even.

Just out of curiosity, who are you thinking our scores are in 2 years?
I would loathe to put specific ppg to specific players, but in 2 years certainly Keegan Murray if he stays [and I think he'll be here.] His brother has been getting all kinds of praises so I'd expect he'd contribute significantly to scoring as well, Rebraca will have a year with us and 4 years Div. 1 PT by then. Pat M will have 3. Joe T. can drive any time he wants and his scoring should improve dramatically by then. Sandfort can add also and Perkins had shown the propensity to score also. Ogendele's offensive skills should allow him several put-backs as his minutes. Definitely, we will be wing-oriented and the new kid Bowen is a scorer also. Not sure what to expect from Uhlis. Mulvey has been getting great press and praise from coach and I expect he can be a scorer as well. I would expect nearly 70% of our offense to come from the frontcourt this year and then carry over to '22.

We are going to have a fast long team that will speed downcourt on a constant basis

Slam Bam Thank you Ma'am

Lotta 6'8/6'9 speedsters on the team

I will make a dangerous prediction that we will be better on D

Out half-court trap could be a nightmare for the opponents

We have seen how JoeT, Aaron Ulis, Tony Perkins Keegan, and Patrick can present
serious problems for teams inbounding the ball

Riley looks like he can play solid D

These Cats start nailing threes along with JBo and we are going to surprise a lot
of folk, friendlies and otherwise

Once again, Mere Idle Musings

On a rather HOT summer day

Last edited:
Fran is a very good recruiter. This is a great get. It felt like the first half of his career, Fran was resigned to sign low hanging fruit in the form of Iowa kids or kids with connections to the program. The second half of his career here he has branched out and is reeling in solid to really good recruits with no discernible connection to the program geographically or otherwise. That takes skill. This is his best get since Tyler Cook.

I am excited to see this kid take the floor.
Or the Iowa kids who weren't recruited by Roy Williams. I'd still like to see another Harrison Barnes choose Iowa. Call me crazy I know.

We are going to have a fast long team that will speed downcourt on a constant basis

Slam Bam Thank you Ma'am

These Cats start nailing three salong with JBo and we are going to surprise a lot

At first, I thought you were describing Oregon. I think you are on the $ about Iowa’s potential.

Slam Bam Thank you Ma'am

These Cats start nailing three salong with JBo and we are going to surprise a lot

Remember these guys back in 80's?1623384819167.png

Slam Bam Thank you Ma'am

It's such an interesting group Fran has put together. So many guys between 6'6 and 6'9 that can run the floor shoot 3s and defend. PG play will be interesting between JT and Ulis how well they do. JBo will be JBo I'm sure. Obviously with no Garza and most likely JW that changes how touches are distributed and the overall O. But I think we'll still put 80 plus points up most of the time and play a fun brand of ball to watch

Slam Bam Thank you Ma'am

We've had a lot of length in the past but still struggled on D. Generally it's been because of lack of foot speed / quickness, if these guys can slide their feet well we should be in really good shape!

IMO, Joe T's development hasn't been all that slow. He was a 3 star and Iowa was by far his best offer and only P5/6 offer. Iowa's had better options his first 2 seasons and have had to luxury to bring him along slowly. IMO, that type of player typically doesn't really completely pay off til their JR. or SR. years in most cases unless they are diamond in the rough. I mean, by this line of thought Luka's development was slow.

Joe's defensive skills are perhaps underrated

He B a tenacious Bulldog

Cujo gif 8 » GIF Images Download

Latest posts