Dasonte Bowen Discusses Iowa Basketball Official Visit

Identified and offered early in the process. Build strong relationship. Picks up plenty of other interest. Ends up choosing Iowa.

Familiar recruiting process for Hawkeyes with Fran and usually works out well.

Fran may have just landed his 'golden goose' This kid looks legit to me. 6'3 long and athletic with a handle and ability to make plays for himself and others. Oh and can knock down deep 3s. This is the kind of PG he's been trying to land for quite awhile now. No pressure on the kid but he should get our hopes up quite a bit I think.

He's doing a heck of a lot better and Fran has really opened the east coast for Iowa. I hope people start to appreciate that.
Yeah I think he played with Ugondule for a year so that tie in didn't hurt either. JT being a NYC kid Luka from DC and the new big kid we got from upstate NY Mulvey. Frans always been an east coaster and that's where a heck of a lot of talent is. Make no mistake this kid here is exactly the kind of PG and player Fran has always wanted to run his ship. This gets me fired up

Certainly star ratings include a defensive element to them, so I,m hoping he brings that tenacity with him. We need that most. We have scorers.
Since Joe T,s development has been, um, slow, Desante Bowen may be the answer. Joe Toussaint has this year to put it all together.

Certainly star ratings include a defensive element to them, so I,m hoping he brings that tenacity with him. We need that most. We have scorers.
Since Joe T,s development has been, um, slow, Desante Bowen may be the answer. Joe Toussaint has this year to put it all together.
Just out of curiosity, who are you thinking our scores are in 2 years?

IMO, Joe T's development hasn't been all that slow. He was a 3 star and Iowa was by far his best offer and only P5/6 offer. Iowa's had better options his first 2 seasons and have had to luxury to bring him along slowly. IMO, that type of player typically doesn't really completely pay off til their JR. or SR. years in most cases unless they are diamond in the rough. I mean, by this line of thought Luka's development was slow.

Yeah that's unknown from what little I've seen of him anyway. He could use some weight too 165 is on the skinny side for 6'3. But if he uses his quickness and length on D he has tools in the tool box anyway.

Now let's see if Fran can parlay a get like him and add that Omaha Bilew kid. That would make some serious waves if we can get him too holy smokes. He visited today or recently I think anyway too.

IMO, Joe T's development hasn't been all that slow. He was a 3 star and Iowa was by far his best offer and only P5/6 offer. Iowa's had better options his first 2 seasons and have had to luxury to bring him along slowly. IMO, that type of player typically doesn't really completely pay off til their JR. or SR. years in most cases unless they are diamond in the rough. I mean, by this line of thought Luka's development was slow.
Yeah I was always going to reserve my judgement on JT till this yr his 3rd. Now that he'll be starting playing big mins and have a major role it'll be more fair to gauge where he is. It almost didn't matter how well he played the last 2 yrs his time on the floor was going to be limited just based on the roster. But the floor is his now.

Fran is a very good recruiter. This is a great get. It felt like the first half of his career, Fran was resigned to sign low hanging fruit in the form of Iowa kids or kids with connections to the program. The second half of his career here he has branched out and is reeling in solid to really good recruits with no discernible connection to the program geographically or otherwise. That takes skill. This is his best get since Tyler Cook.

I am excited to see this kid take the floor.

I hope this kid measures up as it could be a game changer. Been waiting for a difference maker at the point guard since Fran got here. Average to good has been the story but no one really great. Fingers crossed but history has not been a friend to Hawkeye land at the point guard position for Fran.

Joe hasn't been slow. He's a gamer and gamers make mistakes but reduce with playing time. Ahead of him were 2 players playing pr guard one of which had a huge non talent advantage. Late in the year Joe was smashingly successful but still had the problem before him.

Fran is a very good recruiter. This is a great get. It felt like the first half of his career, Fran was resigned to sign low hanging fruit in the form of Iowa kids or kids with connections to the program. The second half of his career here he has branched out and is reeling in solid to really good recruits with no discernible connection to the program geographically or otherwise. That takes skill. This is his best get since Tyler Cook.

I am excited to see this kid take the floor.
I would argue getting and developing Garza would be his best but I get what you're saying. Cook was a higher ranked recruit. Garza just should have been is all.

I wonder if landing this kid and even the Mulvey kid is a bit of a the "Garza effect" I would hope Garzas success story would be a huge benefit to future recruiting and Frans rep.

It looks like with Fran having another kid coming up through the ranks yet that he's all in on being around till young Jack comes through (and from what I've heard he's going to be plenty good enough to)

Saw a quote from him indicating he wants to be active in helping Iowa recruit. Most immediate target seemed to be focused on Filipowski (June visit) but there are also a couple of other studs on the roster at Brewster Academy that could fit well.

Sounds like a plan to me.

I would argue getting and developing Garza would be his best but I get what you're saying. Cook was a higher ranked recruit. Garza just should have been is all.

I wonder if landing this kid and even the Mulvey kid is a bit of a the "Garza effect" I would hope Garzas success story would be a huge benefit to future recruiting and Frans rep.

It looks like with Fran having another kid coming up through the ranks yet that he's all in on being around till young Jack comes through (and from what I've heard he's going to be plenty good enough to)
Jack could end up being the best of the 3.

Fran should get a Garza bounce. It is well deserved.

Speaking of Garza, Fran's two biggest strengths as a coach are identifying high level players early in their high school cycles before other coaches see it, AND developing talent once it is on campus. If you think about all of the All-Big Ten guys Fran has had, most of them were not studs coming out of high school (Marble and White come to mind), but Fran squeezed every bit of talent from them available.

Fran's weaknesses have been putting together a complete roster, and in-game coaching, especially in tournament settings.

Latest posts