Darrian Miller- Spill It!!

Miller's coach has been quoted several time as saying Iowa pulled his scholly as they thought he was too small. Miller is 5'10" 180 lbs. I highly doubt this is the case.

Here is the story that came out of that from Blue Springs and from people very close to the situation:

After the early season loss to Rockhurst, Darrian was upset and went home and got into an argument with his mother and she told him to get out (For the night, not forever). He got a hotel room and it turned into a party and there were things there that should not have been there and the cops got called. He was not charged with anything, but he was "In the wrong place at the wrong time," like he himself said in the article in the local paper linked below. So, he was suspended for the Staley game the next week by the coaching staff.

RB Miller apologizes to teammates, coach - Independence, MO - The Examiner

I highly doubt that if there were a "silent commit", that the coaches would divulge that fact, nor who that player may be. For all we know, it could be Wegher. We don't know, and I don't think that's likely, even though if the rumor my dad told me is true, it would certainly explain taking a 1-year absence (But I'm extremely skeptical about its validity. It's pretty extreme.). But I highly doubt that Miller, or any other scorned recruit, would have any information to blow the cover off of.

The coaches may not...but recruits talk to each other, they form bonds and share information and if suddenly a school yanks a scholarship because of some made up "shortcoming" because they're hiding a so-called "silent commit", I'm guessing the besmirched recruit is going to call BS on the situation...maybe not in all cases, maybe not in most cases...but there'd be one at SOME point who'd know what's going on...I'm just not buying the silent commit thing...it would require too many people keeping a code of silence, EVERY time there was one.

The coaches may not...but recruits talk to each other, they form bonds and share information and if suddenly a school yanks a scholarship because of some made up "shortcoming" because they're hiding a so-called "silent commit", I'm guessing the besmirched recruit is going to call BS on the situation...maybe not in all cases, maybe not in most cases...but there'd be one at SOME point who'd know what's going on...I'm just not buying the silent commit thing...it would require too many people keeping a code of silence, EVERY time there was one.

The only recruit that would know would be the one trying to keep it silent in the first place. Like I said, if Coe were a "silent commit", Miller (or any other RB recruit) could probably figure that it's Coe. But, it could be Wegher too. Nobody KNOWS except the recruit wanting things quiet.

That said, I doubt this is the case.

Earlier posts and articles claimed that the Iowa coaching staff was sticking with Miller even after his suspension. There has to be something else that has happened since that suspension?

The only recruit that would know would be the one trying to keep it silent in the first place. Like I said, if Coe were a "silent commit", Miller (or any other RB recruit) could probably figure that it's Coe. But, it could be Wegher too. Nobody KNOWS except the recruit wanting things quiet.

That said, I doubt this is the case.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this because, well...dammit...I'm stubborn! I'm thinking they don't really exist...it's urban legend born out of wishful thinking. If no one but the recruit doing the silent commit and the coaches would be "in the know" there would never be rumors of them in the first place...and trumping up reasons to back off of other recruits because of it wouldn't fly with those recruits...it all seems like WAY too much effort to keep a secret for so long.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this because, well...dammit...I'm stubborn! I'm thinking they don't really exist...it's urban legend born out of wishful thinking. If no one but the recruit doing the silent commit and the coaches would be "in the know" there would never be rumors of them in the first place...and trumping up reasons to back off of other recruits because of it wouldn't fly with those recruits...it all seems like WAY too much effort to keep a secret for so long.

Moeaki and Dace were both "silent verbals" ... and they weren't the only ones from that class either.

Also, if you tracked Iowa's QB recruiting last year, AJ Derby appeared to effectively be a silent verbal for a while too.

Moeaki and Dace were both "silent verbals" ... and they weren't the only ones from that class either.

Also, if you tracked Iowa's QB recruiting last year, AJ Derby appeared to effectively be a silent verbal for a while too.

Didn't AJ announce before the Army All-American game? In the spirit of the "silent commit announcing on a televised forum" why would he do that? Or did he announce at the game?

By the way, tm and homer...I truly hope I'm wrong as hell and that Coe IS coming and that silent commits really DO exist!

By the way, tm and homer...I truly hope I'm wrong as hell and that Coe IS coming and that silent commits really DO exist!

To be honest, I'm not at all certain that Coe is a silent verbal. All I was pointing out is that Iowa has taken on silent verbals before.

However, what I do know is that the Iowa coaches apparently were okay with what Miller had told them before ... and consequently they continued to recruit him. Then, all of a sudden, they switch their position? Either new information came to light ... which is certainly possible ... that soured their impression of Miller .... OR, they felt comfortable enough with how they sat with a different recruit that the decided that Miller wasn't worth the risk. Of course, the implication there could be that maybe they don't have a "silent verbal" ... however, it definitely does suggest that the Hawk coaches are recruiting from a position of power.

Anyhow, I've long felt that Iowa sat well with Coe ... and nothing that I've heard suggests that that has changed.

Didn't AJ announce before the Army All-American game? In the spirit of the "silent commit announcing on a televised forum" why would he do that? Or did he announce at the game?

Yes, AJ did commit before the game. However, by my recollection, it almost seemed to me that the timing of his decision got moved up because he decided that he didn't want to wast the time of anybody else.

Also, there was still something like a period of a month where very credible rumors were swirling that he had all but stated that he'd be choosing Iowa. And, if you recall, at the same time the Iowa coaches all of a sudden changed the direction they were taking when recruiting QBs and ended up pulling the offer that they had to the kid from Georgia.

I see that Anthony Pierson de-committed from Mizzou and we were recruiting him. Scout says we don't have an offer to him but is it possible that he decommitted from them to come to Iowa? I don't know much about this kid so I was looking for some knowledge to be dropped on my head!!

Yes, AJ did commit before the game. However, by my recollection, it almost seemed to me that the timing of his decision got moved up because he decided that he didn't want to wast the time of anybody else.

Also, there was still something like a period of a month where very credible rumors were swirling that he had all but stated that he'd be choosing Iowa. And, if you recall, at the same time the Iowa coaches all of a sudden changed the direction they were taking when recruiting QBs and ended up pulling the offer that they had to the kid from Georgia.

Thanks for the info, homer! You're the best for a reason!

Every kid is a "silent" commit to the coaching staff as they can't/don't announce any recruits by name until they sign their LOI. So, it is up to the kid if he wants to keep it silent until a certain point (meaning not telling any news sources...i.e. recruiting websites, local papers, etc, etc).

Every kid is a "silent" commit to the coaching staff as they can't/don't announce any recruits by name until they sign their LOI. So, it is up to the kid if he wants to keep it silent until a certain point (meaning not telling any news sources...i.e. recruiting websites, local papers, etc, etc).

Yes, but usually coach Johnson tweets about a new hawkeye family member then someone searches the far corners of the world to find out who it is. This did not happen making it a very silent commit if it happened.

Yes, but usually coach Johnson tweets about a new hawkeye family member then someone searches the far corners of the world to find out who it is. This did not happen making it a very silent commit if it happened.

While I don't think that it's a guarantee that Coe is a "silent verbal" ... I do believe that Johnson would not tweet if Coe asked him to not to.

However, another possibility that has been creeping up in my mind is that maybe the coaches don't want to scare off Gordon by taking a 2nd RB. Maybe they've decided to take recruiting in a different direction ... and have decided NOT to take a 2nd RB. Furthermore, maybe they figure that their chances to land the stud RB from the 2012 recruiting class (from Illinois) goes up if they don't load up on RBs in this class.

While I don't think that it's a guarantee that Coe is a "silent verbal" ... I do believe that Johnson would not tweet if Coe asked him to not to.

However, another possibility that has been creeping up in my mind is that maybe the coaches don't want to scare off Gordon by taking a 2nd RB. Maybe they've decided to take recruiting in a different direction ... and have decided NOT to take a 2nd RB. Furthermore, maybe they figure that their chances to land the stud RB from the 2012 recruiting class (from Illinois) goes up if they don't load up on RBs in this class.

I agree with you that Johnson wouldn't do that, but I was commenting on the above comment that coaches can't say anything. They can't say names, but they still say recruits. Anyway I don't know what there reasons are. If they don't take anyone else the backfield looks like this:
Robinson JR
Hampton JR (but could have a 6th year)
Coker So
Johnson RSFR
Gordon FR

That's not horribly deep being Iowa. If they aren't recruiting another RB then it's probably cause Coe said that he's headed else where or they have high high hopes for the 2012 class. Who knows. I say take 'em when you can get 'em.

I agree with you that Johnson wouldn't do that, but I was commenting on the above comment that coaches can't say anything. They can't say names, but they still say recruits. Anyway I don't know what there reasons are. If they don't take anyone else the backfield looks like this:
Robinson JR
Hampton JR (but could have a 6th year)
Coker So
Johnson RSFR
Gordon FR

That's not horribly deep being Iowa. If they aren't recruiting another RB then it's probably cause Coe said that he's headed else where or they have high high hopes for the 2012 class. Who knows. I say take 'em when you can get 'em.

On the flip side, you can only play one RB at a time. Furthermore, our RBs don't get decimated by injuries EVERY season. Thus, taking on an extra RB in the '11 recruiting class wouldn't make us that much deeper for the 2011 season. We'd still have 2 TR FR ... both of whom we'd probably prefer to redshirt.

If you're talking about Malin Jones out of Joliet, he committed to Northwestern. Also, Miller committed to Kansas again.

If you're talking about Malin Jones out of Joliet, he committed to Northwestern. Also, Miller committed to Kansas again.

LOL! So much for speculation! Thanks for the correction ... and yeah, I was referring to Jones. Northwestern just got a good one ....

And, I'm not so worried about Iowa not landing Miller.

Latest posts