Darkhorse Candidates...

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
well, at least guys that I am thinking of..I will write something up on this tonight.

I will say one of the names I will be talking about tonight...Steve Forbes. The more I learn about him, the more intruiging he becomes to me...initially I dismissed the notion of him taking over the job, because he has no D1 head coaching experience...

But the more I peel back the layer of the onion, I am not prepared to dismiss him on the face of that. The guy is an Iowan, would love the job as much as any other job...and he has been a great recruiter.

well, at least guys that I am thinking of..I will write something up on this tonight.

I will say one of the names I will be talking about tonight...Steve Forbes. The more I learn about him, the more intruiging he becomes to me...initially I dismissed the notion of him taking over the job, because he has no D1 head coaching experience...

But the more I peel back the layer of the onion, I am not prepared to dismiss him on the face of that. The guy is an Iowan, would love the job as much as any other job...and he has been a great recruiter.

From what i know about Forbes he was 4th on my original list...he might be #2 now behind his current boss. I am really interested to see what you have to say.

Jon: Forbes would be one of my top three choices. Also out of the names mentioned so far who do you think could put the best staff together ?

Steve Forbes spent some time at Southwestern Community College in Creston, Iowa. He was an assistant as well as head coach there. Of course people from Creston may be bias because they know him personally, but I am hearing they tend to think he would be a good fit. Native of Lone Tree and a great recruiter, he's been able to recruit well at every level he's been at. And lets face it, the most successful coaches in the nation have that success because they recruit well.

For those of us who still think Steve Forbes is a billionaire who once ran for president of the US, how about a few details on where he is now, his history, etc. As a native of the land between two rivers (Mason City), it would be cool to have an IA guy as head coach. But I'd rather get the right person even if he/she was from Argentina. Maybe we should start a new trend and start doing like soccer and other olympic sports, getting coaches from abroad that don't even speak english. Didn't Argentina win olympic gold recently in BB?

Jon ...have any notes from the interview you did with Steve back a few years when he was with La Tech?

I just don't think Iowa can afford to take a risk on anyone without head coaching experience at the D-1 level. Perhaps back when Alford left it would have been OK but not now.

Barta has to make a splash with a proven guy. He needs someone that excits everyone right away.

I just don't think Iowa can afford to take a risk on anyone without head coaching experience at the D-1 level. Perhaps back when Alford left it would have been OK but not now.

Barta has to make a splash with a proven guy. He needs someone that excits everyone right away.

The problem is, with this fanbase, Barta cannot please everyone with this hire. Unless it is Pear,l and let's face it, that is a longshot at best most likely.

Steve Forbes? Listen, if this guy couldn't win the presidency in 2000 I don't want him coaching our team. Give me a break...

Pure speculation but I think he would bring Jason Shay with him. JS is from Rock Island. We're recruiting someone from Rock Island.....

Latest posts