Darkhorse Bio's: Steve Forbes

Whichever year it was, Lone Tree won at their place. The noise (through the eye of a child's mind) was thunderous.

I remember having made a bunch of rolled up paper wads...tightly rolled, then taped...we were into using rubber bands to launch those suckers at friends or unsuspecting targets in the bleachers. Dont think I got into trouble for that. There were some wads we made that I was so impressed with that I colored them and would crawl under the bleachers to retrieve.

Now that is a memory! :)

When did we beat them at WB?

Don't recall...but we did knock them off once. Were you there for the Solon game at home in Marv's senior year? I doubt the gym was ever more packed than that...and Heid hit a 15 footer to win it...it was a Friday night...I recall that because we were all still buzzing about it the next morning as we had our Saturday morning basketball league at Hoover gym and they were our coaches.

Now that is a memory! :)

Oh my...lots more where that came from. I sometimes get irritated at what I can remember from long ago, the minutia, and I can't recall what my wife sent me to the store to get...so she texts that to me now :)

Yes I was. Place was packed. Heid hits a baseline jumper at the buzzer to win.

Ahh...the Saturday Morning League. The...AZmess passes it to JonDMiller and never gets it back....league.

Don't recall...but we did knock them off once. Were you there for the Solon game at home in Marv's senior year? I doubt the gym was ever more packed than that...and Heid hit a 15 footer to win it...it was a Friday night...I recall that because we were all still buzzing about it the next morning as we had our Saturday morning basketball league at Hoover gym and they were our coaches.

I think West Branch got one from LT in maybe 82 during the Willie Ramsey days.

I think West Branch got one from LT in maybe 82 during the Willie Ramsey days.

Lone Tree won class A BBall in 1985. Andy Pechous (Western Ill), Todd Krueger (SIU), and Phil Forbes (UNI Football). That team was tough. http://www.iahsaa.org/basketball/Archives/StateTrresults_1970-1999.pdf

We (Wilton) were 1A and got beat by Al Rath and Highland Riverside at Substate.
West Liberty beat Mid-Prairie in 2A substate final to make state.

Lone Tree, Highland Riverside, and West Liberty all made state that year.

You beat me to the Krueger answer. I remember being in their gym in say 1984 I think when West Branch played them in a state playoff game...Marv Cook was a senior I believe...I remember thinking that those Lone Tree guys were larger than life. Would Forbes have been on that team?

Jon, I agree with Dexter that Steve Forbes was probably more Willie Ramsey/ Duck Cook era. I think Steve Forbes was on a State Football Championship team at Lone Tree. If he played basketball at Muscatine CC, he might have been on the same team as Lew Brookins, Vince Brookins' younger brother.

At any rate, I know the Lone Tree Bball Coach Hoffmeister was at the West Branch basketball camp in the summer of '83. I was there. Coach Yoder thanked Marv for attending when camp was over. Classic! I still have my pic with Bobby Hansen from that camp. Bobby was getting ready to try out for the Jazz and he gave us a shooting clinic.

Hate to break up this rendition of ''Glory Days'' but back to Forbes.
Someone had a separated at birth thread on TOS with Forbes compared to Karl Rove...ouch. I guess it is impressive that a guy that looks like turdblossom (roves nickname from President Bush) can woo recruits with such amazing results...he must be a great talker.
Any idea of his personality? I do think we need a bit of a presence at the helm,just to fire up the base,and you never know about assistants..who never get to really be the front man.

I think my realistic short list has Barbee,Forbes,and Gillespie...ie,they might actually come to Iowa.

My unrealistic short list is longer...Pearl,Pastner,Dixon,Wright,Drew.

Steve Forbes would be a great choice for HC. Great recruiting track record which obviously means tireless worker. As for Xs and Os, Im sure someone that has as much experience in many different leagues has seen it all from a basketball standpoint and Xs and Os are more of a staff responsibility than solely on a HC. We have had 2 good Xs and Os coaches in recent years with Lick and Alford, but what we need is great players and Forbes can definitely get those.

Iowa native can inspire and build excitement around the program because his passion for Iowa basketball. Exciting play and good players will fill the seats like the old days. Steve Forbes will get Iowa playing deep into March like we should be.

We need quality coach - not just someone who will splash headlines...Steve Forbes can make Iowa headline splashes come tourney time.

If you can get can get bruce almighty, you probably gte forbes too. I belive iowa has a better chance at forbes then pearl. I think everyone banking on getting pearl will be very upset when the new coach is named. Hawkeyenation and hawk central will light up like christmas trees with anger over who ever our next coach is.

Having said that, i am all for forbes. I have said this in other threads, but Iowa needs is someone who can recruit, has connections to aau, and chicago. Forbes must have some great connections to be credited with all the recruits he has brought in at his 2 schools. And more importantly he will continue to build a relationship with his players, something that lick didn't do.

I was around Coach Forbes a little bit when he was head coach at SWCC in Creston. Certainly a man who will get the masses motivated and has had success and experience with several well respected coaches. If Iowa is going to hire a current assistant he has the most experience and seems to be as ready as any.

He seems to be pretty busy with other things so I am not sure he would
have enough time to coach at Iowa but interesting:

S_1.jpg

He seems to be pretty busy with other things so I am not sure he would
have enough time to coach at Iowa but interesting:

S_1.jpg

Plus he'd probably require that we change uniform colors to green and gold, with "Capital Tool" stenciled throughout.

Jon, great write-up and I really like Forbes. After Pearl, he would be my choice.

But please take it easy on your readers. My head's spinning and I'm getting dizzy: Bruce Pearl, Buzz Williams, now Steve Forbes!

Latest posts