Darby decommitting

He got his scores where they needed to be, but Iowa wants him to go to a prep school? Sorry, isn't that what tutors are for?

I talked to Frank and the coach at the game yesterday. They were disappointed. The coach is supposed to call me tonight.

On the surface, it seems like Iowa is passing on a really good player at a position of need. But we are only hearing one side if the story. Perhaps the coaches don't feel confident about him handling things academically right now and want to see how he'll handle things at prep school first. I'm speculating but I'm sure there's a reason.

I don't d
He got his scores where they needed to be, but Iowa wants him to go to a prep school? Sorry, isn't that what tutors are for?

I don't disagree that a tutor would be an option; but depending on where someone is scholastically, prep school would be a better option. Now, I don't know where Darby is, but it does sound as though he just really wants to see the field early.

Everyone can draw their own conclusions, but our HC beats the drum for how important a RS can be for a kid to "figured it out" on and off the field; including academically. This decision seems to fly in the face of that mantra. If the kid is qualified, why not take time, have him redshirt and focus on academics? If the kid can't handle college academics for 2 consecutive semesters, then you ask him to leave. So, unless there is something more that we don't know, this looks like a really bad decision. Why not even take a chance?

Mose, I know you're joking. I got a chuckle out of it.

Rob - didn't you report in an earlier article that he would be sitting down with someone from Admissions during his visit? If so, I can see they could have played a key role in offering their advice to the staff as well as the recruit. Would believe the staff was aware of all obstacles prior to the trip but hoped they could sell their recent offer to this prospect while on his visit, no?

Daffy-Duck-daffy-duck-14817695-720-480.jpg

Rob - didn't you report in an earlier article that he would be sitting down with someone from Admissions during his visit? If so, I can see they could have played a key role in offering their advice to the staff as well as the recruit. Would believe the staff was aware of all obstacles prior to the trip but hoped they could sell their recent offer to this prospect while on his visit, no?

Yes. I'm not sure of that happened. As Darby's coach said, Iowa coaches wanted him at prep school for "more academic seasoning." They saw something that led them to want to go this route.

Is there any precedence for something like this happening? I can't remember where Iowa told a kid that qualified they didn't want him to come before. (with it being the only issue) Then after having a face to face talk about it where the kid reiterates that he'd like to come (and I assume he'd be ok with Redshirting since most WRs at Iowa do) the staff decides to take a pass on him? I don't get it... Is there something fishy about the way he got eligible perhaps? Like Iowa doesn't trust the school he went to and how they calculate their eligibility? I have no clue but it makes no sense to me on it's face. I don't see what Iowa was going to be out to have him come in and RS for a year to get his feet under him and if it don't work out then cut the cord if he can't cut it. I don't like the message it sends going forward. It puts kids in a tough spot if they are eligible want to come/have committed themselves and then the school decides at this point eh sorry... Now he may very well be able to find another good school/fit for him but that may not always be the case..

I would trust the coaches are doing what they think is best for this young man by recommending that he attend prep school for a year. If they thought a red shirt year would do the trick, they have before and will again use that method to let a young man mature, physically and mentally. I would guess, and its only a guess, that the coaches are very aware of the details of the young man's academic records and have concluded that he is not ready for the demands of college and big time football. I feel bad for him, but maybe he should be grateful for the sound advice.

Yes. I'm not sure of that happened. As Darby's coach said, Iowa coaches wanted him at prep school for "more academic seasoning." They saw something that led them to want to go this route.

Rob, have there been any walk on's awarded a scholarship since signing day?

Rob, have there been any walk on's awarded a scholarship since signing day?

Not that I can think of off the top of my head. They often hand those out during August camp. I would think Brandon Snyder would be a strong candidate. Dalton Ferguson and Peter Pekar are a few others that come to mind.

Iowa has 11 WR + 6TE + Mitchell + Boyle, not counting fall recruits.
They should be able to find a decent roster to catch the ball.
Granted that Vandeberg is the only proven starter with Mitchell's receiving ability being semi-proven, at least out of the backfield.

Everyone can draw their own conclusions, but our HC beats the drum for how important a RS can be for a kid to "figured it out" on and off the field; including academically. This decision seems to fly in the face of that mantra. If the kid is qualified, why not take time, have him redshirt and focus on academics? If the kid can't handle college academics for 2 consecutive semesters, then you ask him to leave. So, unless there is something more that we don't know, this looks like a really bad decision. Why not even take a chance?

Just me guessing...scholarships are at a premium for this coming class (2017). They are having high level success in recruiting this year, for Iowa. They feel they have a good enough group of WR's to work with, and they would rather not tie up another ride with someone who 'might' still not be out of the woods academically...that doesn't mean not qualifying, but for some, qualifying is just part of the challenge.

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news...ank-darby-backs-off-from-iowa-pledge/?=hghghg

Another example of Kurt doesn't want to win/game passed him by/stuck in his ways!! Fire him!! Rogue program.

Only joking. But seriously, I was hoping to see Darby in the black and gold. The coaches have always tried to help steer kids through the academic process; but appears Darby wants to see the field sooner, rather than later.

Two words come to mind.... Shonn Greene - Not the same situation but one can draw parallels.

Latest posts