Dallas Clark

Igothawked

Has Dallas Clark had the best NFL career of any Hawkeye of all time? I think its a debatable question, especially if they win another Super Bowl.

I think it has been a very nice career so far. Perfect offense for his game.

I'd say Eddie P still has the most productive NFL career by an Iowa Alum.

Andre Tippett is the only Iowa player to be in the NFL Hall of Fame so he is the clubhouse leader. If Dallas continues for a few more years and his numbers remain solid, he will make the Hall of Fame and then he will pass Andre Tippett as the best Iowa player to play in the league.

Andre Tippett is the only Iowa player to be in the NFL Hall of Fame so he is the clubhouse leader. If Dallas continues for a few more years and his numbers remain solid, he will make the Hall of Fame and then he will pass Andre Tippett as the best Iowa player to play in the league.

I doubt Dallas makes the HOF. While his numbers are better than some other HOF TE's from the 60's and 70's (before the explosion of the passing game), he is not the best TE of his era. Not by a long shot. Antoinio Gates was drafted the same season as Dallas, and his numbers just crush Dallas'. Jason Whitten has more receiving yards, but fewer touchdowns, and joins Dallas firmly in the NFL's second division of tight ends.

Also, keep in mind that TE is a position represested very scarecely in the HOF. There are something like 6 of the 250 or so members of the HOF that are TEs. Then, remember that Shannon Sharpe, and Tony Gonzalez are locks to go in in the future...and Dallas would have to gain 6,000 more yards to catch up to those two. I don't see him doing it.

Paul Krause and Emlen Tunnell are the only former Hawks in the NFL HOF, next should be Alex Karras, but (I think) he got into some trouble with gambling which could keep him out of the HOF.

I think most of the names mentioned have a shot at the HOF, but the above are the top guys.

Paul Krause was one of the greatest defensive backs to ever play the game.

There was also a pretty good running back (played D-back and running back at Iowa) who held the rushing record in the Rose Bowl for many, many years that could have a shot....Bob Jeter.

I doubt Dallas makes the HOF. While his numbers are better than some other HOF TE's from the 60's and 70's (before the explosion of the passing game), he is not the best TE of his era. Not by a long shot. Antoinio Gates was drafted the same season as Dallas, and his numbers just crush Dallas'. Jason Whitten has more receiving yards, but fewer touchdowns, and joins Dallas firmly in the NFL's second division of tight ends.

Also, keep in mind that TE is a position represested very scarecely in the HOF. There are something like 6 of the 250 or so members of the HOF that are TEs. Then, remember that Shannon Sharpe, and Tony Gonzalez are locks to go in in the future...and Dallas would have to gain 6,000 more yards to catch up to those two. I don't see him doing it.

I think you can make an argument for Dallas Clark to be the best TE over the last 3 years.

He has 21 more receptions and 2 more TD's than Gates over that time while having about 300 yards less receiving. He also leads gates in one very important category... Super Bowl rings. He has one, and he's an odds on favorite to pick up another. Super Bowl rings are the ultimate trump card when it comes to getting into the Pro Football HOF.

Glad to see Emlen Tunnell mentioned. A great career. How good a player was he? Vince Lombardi took Tunnell with him from the Giants to the Packers at the end of Tunnell's career because he valued Tunnell's influence and character so much.

I think you can make an argument for Dallas Clark to be the best TE over the last 3 years..

You could say the same for Marv Cook between 1990-1992. But he is not in the Hall...Dallas' stats for his career dwarf Marv's.

Dallas is certain the best former Iowa TE to every play in the pros, and one of the Top 10 best at any position...and he has some years left.

that being said, he has been in the league 7 years...and has caught 255 passes the last three seasons...to expect him to be able to play at this level for much longer than two or three more years is probably a reach...

I think you can make an argument for Dallas Clark to be the best TE over the last 3 years.

He has 21 more receptions and 2 more TD's than Gates over that time while having about 300 yards less receiving. He also leads gates in one very important category... Super Bowl rings. He has one, and he's an odds on favorite to pick up another. Super Bowl rings are the ultimate trump card when it comes to getting into the Pro Football HOF.

I agree with Duff here plus I think Gates may be done. As much as Clark misses time, it looks to me like Gates may never recover from that turf toe injury. He doesn't seem to be the same player he was before. I agree with Jon's sentiment that Clark's Window for productivity is probably only 2-3 more seasons. If he were to get 2 more rings it is certainly possible he could get HOF consideration but if Shannon Sharpe didn't make it(yet) in I think its unlikely Dallas will.

You could say the same for Marv Cook between 1990-1992. But he is not in the Hall...Dallas' stats for his career dwarf Marv's.

Dallas is certain the best former Iowa TE to every play in the pros, and one of the Top 10 best at any position...and he has some years left.

that being said, he has been in the league 7 years...and has caught 255 passes the last three seasons...to expect him to be able to play at this level for much longer than two or three more years is probably a reach...

I agree with this - he might only be able to play at the All Pro level for 2 or 3 more years but i still think he can be a very solid player in the twilight of his career. As long as he plays with Manning he will be able to compile stats and rings which will help his HOF case even if the HOF is a bit of a longshot

I can't believe he wouldn't be in the HOF if he had 3-4 more productive years, but I'm guessing most of you are right that he wouldn't. I think Dallas being associated with Peyton Manning could have some influence. If he got a couple more rings and had productive games in the super bowl that would help his chances too.

I can't believe Shannon Sharpe isn't in the HOF. That guy was good. I also look forward to Sharpe on Sunday's for comic relief. He has his own language.

You can make an argument that Clark has been as good as Gates the last three years, but Gates was better the previous five.

Also, Super Bowl rings really only come into account when talking about QBs for the HOF, not TEs. No one can make the argument that Dallas is the reason Indy is competeing at a high level. He is a piece, but not the major piece.

I am not saying he isn't worthy, I am just saying that not many TEs make it to the HOF, two a generation tops. Dallas is not one of the top 2 TEs of his generation; they would be Gonzalez and Gates.

I agree with Duff here plus I think Gates may be done. As much as Clark misses time, it looks to me like Gates may never recover from that turf toe injury. He doesn't seem to be the same player he was before. I agree with Jon's sentiment that Clark's Window for productivity is probably only 2-3 more seasons. If he were to get 2 more rings it is certainly possible he could get HOF consideration but if Shannon Sharpe didn't make it(yet) in I think its unlikely Dallas will.
Interesting take. Gates did have 21 less catches this year than Clark but more yards (1,157 compared to 1,106). Also, Gates is actually younger than Clark. However, I know Clark has been injured more so he may be able to play longer.

he's averaged around 850 yards and 9TD's per season the last 3 years. If he maintains that for another 4 years he would retire with a minimum of 7500 yards and 75 tds (a ton for a tight end, Gonzalez has 82 right now and hes a slam dunk HOFer) which would put him very very close. TE's dont typically wear down as fast as a RB which means he could be productive into his mid 30's. Add into the fact much of the wear and tear TE's experince comes from blocking in the running game, Dallas spends a lot of the time lined up in the slot and running pass routes so in theory he should have less "miles" than someone like Gates who spent a lot of time blocking for LT.

Provided both he and Peyton stay healthy for the next 6 years or so I think he makes it. What might end up hurting him the most is as of now he only has 3 pro bowls and 1 all pro season. Tony Gonzales has 10 pro bowls and 5 all pro selections.

Latest posts