Dale Jones, juco F

Saw he was 0 for 6 for 0 points in their loss today. According to his game log it looks like when he's hot, he's HOT and when he's cold. I would still like to get a true center like Ike, but if a scholarship opens up I would have no problem with them taking a change on Dale.

What do you mean power 6 schools are "sniffing around?" That sounds like a nice way of saying the kid has ZERO offers. It's not like this is the fall of a kid's junior season in high school. It's late March and the kid is a JUCO. If no school has pulled the trigger at this stage despite hundreds of kids signing letters of intent, doesn't that tell us that this guy isn't exactly a world beater? His stats look good, but surely every coach in the country could use a guy who is tall and can shoot and score, right? It doesn't add up.

It sounds like he only had DII offers out of HS. He was 6'6", and now he is 6'8" and a solid 225 lbs, and Minnesota and a couple other Power 6 schools are sniffing around. He has great rebounding numbers to go along with all the 3 pt shots.

What do you mean power 6 schools are "sniffing around?" That sounds like a nice way of saying the kid has ZERO offers. It's not like this is the fall of a kid's junior season in high school. It's late March and the kid is a JUCO. If no school has pulled the trigger at this stage despite hundreds of kids signing letters of intent, doesn't that tell us that this guy isn't exactly a world beater? His stats look good, but surely every coach in the country could use a guy who is tall and can shoot and score, right? It doesn't add up.

Apparently you don't follow the 5th year transfer and JUCO recruiting scene. It heats up as teams' seasons start to come to an end at the end of March. As players start to transfer and scholarships come available, teams start having needs to fill. That leads to quite a bit of late JUCO offers. It's not uncommon to see a kid like Dale Jones see his recruitment heat up this time of year.

Apparently you don't follow the 5th year transfer and JUCO recruiting scene. It heats up as teams' seasons start to come to an end at the end of March. As players start to transfer and scholarships come available, teams start having needs to fill. That leads to quite a bit of late JUCO offers. It's not uncommon to see a kid like Dale Jones see his recruitment heat up this time of year.
Hey, JG10, it may be that the 5th year and JUCO scenes heat up now, but if this kid is that good, why wasn't he taken when other really good JUCOs were taken?

I think that is a legitimate question.

Hey, JG10, it may be that the 5th year and JUCO scenes heat up now, but if this kid is that good, why wasn't he taken when other really good JUCOs were taken?

He sounds pretty good, but I don't really have any idea how good he actually would be. One of the reasons he didn't get a lot of interest was because he missed last year with a knee injury. I don't know what kind of injury it was.

I agree it is a legitimate question.

The problem is that JUCO is a different animal than recruiting HS kids. High school players are well known and are seen playing at the top AAU tournaments all over the country. JUCO players are not necessarily as well known. Sure you have some of the top guys that you see ranked highly that many schools are after. Those tend to be solid known HS prospects that didn't have the grades coming out. So coaches keep an eye on them as they head the JUCO or prep school route.

Then there are the JUCO players that weren't given much of a look coming out of HS or they had injuries. Sometimes those players grow and develop into good players. Sometimes even into capable power conference level talent. The problem is those guys aren't playing at AAU tournaments or for top ranked HS teams where the recruiters are mostly at. They go unnoticed until they start to post numbers that signal the player may be worth a look. By that time many teams have their recruiting classes locked up or no longer have a need for that player's position. Then the end of the season comes and players transfer and now there are teams with unanticipated needs. Coaches start to look for immediate help and start watching film on said players to see if they would be worth an offer. That is the time of year we are approaching.

I'm not saying this is Dale Jones' story but at this point there are a few players out there that will start seeing some bigger programs look their way. Nobody really knows at this point who has been in contact with Jones or what kind of offers he has. Heck the only link he has to the Hawkeye program is one guy's tweet saying what he heard from a JUCO scouting service guy.

My point being just because a guy doesn't have any known programs after him, that doesn't mean he won't be given a look by some as the season starts to wind down.

The problem is that JUCO is a different animal than recruiting HS kids. High school players are well known and are seen playing at the top AAU tournaments all over the country. JUCO players are not necessarily as well known. Sure you have some of the top guys that you see ranked highly that many schools are after. Those tend to be solid known HS prospects that didn't have the grades coming out. So coaches keep an eye on them as they head the JUCO or prep school route.

Then there are the JUCO players that weren't given much of a look coming out of HS or they had injuries. Sometimes those players grow and develop into good players. Sometimes even into capable power conference level talent. The problem is those guys aren't playing at AAU tournaments or for top ranked HS teams where the recruiters are mostly at. They go unnoticed until they start to post numbers that signal the player may be worth a look. By that time many teams have their recruiting classes locked up or no longer have a need for that player's position. Then the end of the season comes and players transfer and now there are teams with unanticipated needs. Coaches start to look for immediate help and start watching film on said players to see if they would be worth an offer. That is the time of year we are approaching.

I'm not saying this is Dale Jones' story but at this point there are a few players out there that will start seeing some bigger programs look their way. Nobody really knows at this point who has been in contact with Jones or what kind of offers he has. Heck the only link he has to the Hawkeye program is one guy's tweet saying what he heard from a JUCO scouting service guy.

My point being just because a guy doesn't have any known programs after him, that doesn't mean he won't be given a look by some as the season starts to wind down.

Coaches know about most of the players out there whether high school or juco.

good players don't go unnoticed with so many eyes out there looking.

some guys can slip through but obviously Fran has known about this guy for a while.

some guys can slip through but obviously Fran has known about this guy for a while.

Dale Jones isn't/wasn't going to slip through any cracks, and just like you said Fran and others have known about him for awhile. This is the way that most JUCO recuiting goes. Just look at Willie Atwoods recruitment last year, he got offers from Iowa, Florida St., Arizona St., Auburn, Arkansas, etc all at the end of March beginning of April.

Plus Jones was injured last year, and has grown 2" since high school (6'6 to 6'8). As it stand now if Iowa doesn't get him other Power 6 schools (like Minnesota who is sniffing around) are gonna offer. You can't shoot that well and rebound that well at 6'8 225 lbs and NOT get some Power 6 offers.

Well said. Iowalaw is a recruiting troll. If they don't have 10 Blue blood offers, he will be mocking the kid all the way.

It'll be interesting to see what Fran does with that last scholly.... What if there isn't a big man out there that is A very good worth having as either a juco or HS sr? And B what if he can't find one that wants to come? Does he pocket it and wait a year or use it on an athletic juco kid like this?

Perhaps unnoticed was too strong of a word. Certainly some coaches have scouted him as it's not like Tyler JC is a bottom of the barrel program. My point was that JUCO recruiting is different in that a lot of players don't see their recruitment heat up until this time of year. I get tired of posters being ignorant about how good a player could be by basing their ability solely on who else has offered at the time. Let the process work itself out and give the kid a chance to prove his worthiness before writing him off.

Perhaps unnoticed was too strong of a word. Certainly some coaches have scouted him as it's not like Tyler JC is a bottom of the barrel program. My point was that JUCO recruiting is different in that a lot of players don't see their recruitment heat up until this time of year. I get tired of posters being ignorant about how good a player could be by basing their ability solely on who else has offered at the time. Let the process work itself out and give the kid a chance to prove his worthiness before writing him off.

Plus, whether it is Dale Jones or not, I like the idea of going 2-year JUCO for the big man depth if there isn't high school player available. This is already turning into a big class (six players, yes?) and the JUCO Iowa gets will fill out the 2-year stint Trey Dickerson would have had if he had stayed. That way it can help with depth next year and open up a scholly for two classes from now when Iowa will have more opportunities to reach for blue chip 1s and 5s or try to find more diamonds in the rough. Instead of being thrust in the action like Uhl (maybe a good thing, long term, maybe not) Ahmad Wagner can grow into his role or even redshirt next year. Although I bet he plays if he's ready.

Whats the name of the opposition team the Harlem Globetrotters always play against? The Washington Capitols? Looks like they are playing in Tyler Juco league now!

Washington Generals. I doubt they are playing in the Tyler Juco league now, because they are professional basketball players and that would be illegal.

and those same posters will be ticked when Iowa offers first and only other interest is Houston Baptist.
Ticked Iowa didn't offer sooner when other Power 6 schools offer him.
Ticked if he signs somewhere else (after they publicly ridiculed the original Iowa offer).
Ticked we didn't get him out of HS from Waterloo.
Ticked if we do get him and he doesn't average 17 and 8 for the Hawks.

:rolleyes: lulz

Dale Jones isn't/wasn't going to slip through any cracks, and just like you said Fran and others have known about him for awhile. This is the way that most JUCO recuiting goes. Just look at Willie Atwoods recruitment last year, he got offers from Iowa, Florida St., Arizona St., Auburn, Arkansas, etc all at the end of March beginning of April.Plus Jones was injured last year, and has grown 2" since high school (6'6 to 6'8). As it stand now if Iowa doesn't get him other Power 6 schools (like Minnesota who is sniffing around) are gonna offer. You can't shoot that well and rebound that well at 6'8 225 lbs and NOT get some Power 6 offers.
Just hope he's better than Atwood. We really dodged a bullet there because he hardly even plays for ASU. WA had all of these offers and hardly plays in Tempe and DJ may have a potential offer from Minnesota. Just saying.

Certain posters are ignorant in a lot of ways... We wouldn't be hearing anything about Jones either if Dickerson had waited until after the season to announce his transfer plans...no scholarship even if Fran was talking to him. The better JUCO players wait until after the end of season attrition takes place. And the 5th year senior transfers aren't even in play yet for the most part. Finally, the coaches at any school playing in 1 of the many postseason tournaments are a little bit busy right now.

It is always tough to tell about players, but 3 pt% does translate from one level to the next. Shooting 46% from 3 pt. land in JUCO BB, will translate to around or above 40% at the D1 level. I love getting stretch 4's and I think that is the direction Fran wants to go, and is the direction college BB is at anyway. Look at Wisconsin, all players on the floor can shoot. It spaces the floor for everyone else.

Plus he can rebound, as he had both the height, size, and ability (he avg. almost 10 RPG). I like this much better than bringing in a C who has to be developed for 3 years to contribute for 2 years.

Latest posts