Dahm's Contract Expires - Extend or Fire Him?

Fire. Go after Heller at Indiana State. A guy with Iowa guys who would get fan support and respect from instate hs programs right away. It's only worth it if Barta is willing to commit funds to team.

People actually care about Iowa baseball?
Probably more people than those that care about you Fluff.
Anyhoo, Jack is done. It is very hard to recruit to the Big for baseball. Until everyone is on the same playing field this will always be the case.

Iowa baseball could be great with a little attention. Not too long ago Purdue was far behind even by big 10 standards. New coach, new stadium, number 13 national ranking.

Iowa should not only not renew his contract, but they should cancel the baseball program. Why do we have one? College baseball is a money suck. To top if off, the program is abysmal. I am 34 and have never heard one positive event occurring with respect to the program. I read somewhere that Dahm said the program's goal was to make the B10 Tourney--yet 6 of 10 B10 teams make it! High standards on the diamond in IC. Dump it! Use the money for something else (i.e.--football/basketball).

Iowa baseball could be great with a little attention. Not too long ago Purdue was far behind even by big 10 standards. New coach, new stadium, number 13 national ranking.

I'd use the men's golf at Iowa as an analogy here. The coaching hire sparked the program in terms of recruiting/talent and the team success led to successful fundraising and a new indoor facility to help build from there. In other words, sometimes winning on the field is needed first to get the resources flowing. It will take a new coach and some early success to really get this moving, and I think Barta will make the change. It's not often a coach is without a contract and can be let go without any consequence, so I think he will seize that opportunity.

No doubt baseball is a tough nut to crack in the B1G, but that just means that any team that really breaks through as a destination school for top midwestern baseball talent might be able to be a dynasty of sorts. The door is open, Purdue is the latest to go after it. I'd like to see Iowa give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan
People actually care about Iowa baseball?

No

I can't believe you guys. Baseball is arguably the national pastime of the US. Second only maybe to football. And yet, you are saying who cares? Maybe I'm infuenced by having played, until a back injury, under Otto Vogel, (probably the the longest tenured Iowa head coach in any sport). But even if I hadn't, I think I'd still feel the same way. If you want to fire Dahm, yeah his record at Iowa is not too great, but he does have a really great class of recruits coming in. But then, if none of you seem to care about Hawkeye baseball, I'm probably just wasting my time.

Latest posts