Dabo Just Signed For 10 YR/$115M

And he earned every nickel of it. I honestly could not tell you a single thing about Clemson football before he arrived. They have done that weird ride the bus and go down the stands and touch a rock thing for a while, but they were nothing before he arrived and now they may end up in the SEC all because of one coach.

Obviously, he has been very successful. About the only criticism from Clemson fans down here is his reluctance to embrace the transfer portal.

Barta would approve of the timing of this.

Terrible year last year. Struggled first game this year. Former #1 HS qb a bust already?

So... bam! Huge extension. I guess maybe this is a "buy low" move?

Interesting buyout structure:
According to the term sheet, if Swinney leaves to become Alabama head coach in 2022, he would owe a $9 million buyout; that number is $6 million in 2022 if he leaves for another college team. He would owe nothing if he leaves for an NFL head-coaching job. The buyout number decreases every year of the deal.

If Clemson fires Swinney without cause, it would owe him $64 million in 2022 and 2023; $60 million in 2024 and 2025 and $57 million in 2026. The final years would pay him the remaining compensation left on the deal.
Now I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth given the uncertainty of a college coach shooting his shot in the NFL, but that's interesting.

Barta would approve of the timing of this.

Terrible year last year. Struggled first game this year. Former #1 HS qb a bust already?

So... bam! Huge extension. I guess maybe this is a "buy low" move?
These are both disingenuous. The season was only "terrible" by Clemson standards (still 10 wins), and they handled a conference opponent last week, 41-10. This extension was a no-brainer.

And he earned every nickel of it. I honestly could not tell you a single thing about Clemson football before he arrived. They have done that weird ride the bus and go down the stands and touch a rock thing for a while, but they were nothing before he arrived and now they may end up in the SEC all because of one coach.
Heard of the Fridge?

These are both disingenuous. The season was only "terrible" by Clemson standards (still 10 wins), and they handled a conference opponent last week, 41-10. This extension was a no-brainer.

But this new contract is obviously based on those "Clemson standards"!

Last year at one point they were 4-3 ( 3-3 against FBS ). In that span they had a Ferentz-quality offense- a high output of 21 against FBS teams ( and that was a 2 OT game! ). They had fallen from #3 to unranked. Then they won 6 straight against ACC and the Clowns to end w/ those 10 wins. And because they're Clemson that got them a solid ranking.

Last week? G Tech is terrible. And, Clemson made a fg w/ 6 mins left in the 3rd to lead 17-10. Pulled away after that but I'd call that a struggle for most of the game.

My point is, after those "struggles" it might have made sense to see if they can get back to nc contender level before paying a long-term nc contender salary.

Regarding the buyout, did you see the quote from Orgeron about being fired at LSU? AD walked in and said we owe you 17 million for your final two years and we will give that all to you, but we have to let you go. He responded, "when do you want me out and what door should I use?" LOL. A man who understands the absurdity of the amount of money they get paid.

That's right! But, he was famous for what he did in Chicago. That 85 Bears team had personality galore.
I can remember him stuffing a football over the goal post at his.... build.

He was a member of a national championship team in 1981, and was recognized as a consensus first-team All-American as a junior in 1983. As a freshman in 1981, he earned his "Refrigerator" nickname when a fellow player could barely squeeze into an elevator with Perry and their laundry which they were taking to be washed. The player, Ray Brown, said "Man, you're about as big as a refrigerator."[6]

And he earned every nickel of it. I honestly could not tell you a single thing about Clemson football before he arrived. ... they were nothing before he arrived.

I wouldn't say they were nothing.

Dabo started in '08. From '00 to '07 they had winning seasons every year, w/ 3 top-25 finishes.

Back in 81 they won the Natty.

From '82-'93 they had 4 top-10 and 5 more top-25 finishes.

That's a lot of money for a coach, at a school where they could probably get a decent replacement for less, in a conference that is hog-tied for revenue for a long time. Clemson has to be thinking that they're going to the SEC with this contract.

I wouldn't say they were nothing.

Dabo started in '08. From '00 to '07 they had winning seasons every year, w/ 3 top-25 finishes.

Back in 81 they won the Natty.

From '82-'93 they had 4 top-10 and 5 more top-25 finishes.
This is the type of response a Nebraska fan would offer. :)

2 Nattys and none of the guys who are potentially better are leaving their schools, it’s the right move.

The only coach making a ton I don’t get is Jimbo, dude wins one title due to an elite college QB and hasn’t sniffed it without him. He’s basically Gene Chizik.

Latest posts