D-I 2016 Freshman Entrance Requirements and Eligiblity to Play

eyekwah

Below are facts related to the eligibility rules for freshman entering college in the fall of 2016. Some freshman will qualify for entrance, but not allowed to practice; some will qualify to practice, but not play; and for some things will not be any different.

In my estimation men's basketball will be most affected by these rules. The day of the one year wonders may come to an end. I wonder how many of members Kentucky's recent freshman classes would be eligible in year one?

This applies to the freshman class of 2016:

The new initial-eligibility requirements create a higher academic standard for freshman to play. That standard is higher than what will be needed to receive aid and practice, creating an academic redshirt year.

Student-athletes who achieve the current minimum initial-eligibility standard will continue to be eligible for athletically related financial aid during the first year of enrollment and practice during the first regular academic term of enrollment. Student-athletes could earn practice during the second term of enrollment by passing nine semester or eight quarter hours.

For immediate access to competition, prospective student-athletes must achieve at least a 2.3 GPA and an increased sliding scale. For example, an SAT score of 1,000 requires a 2.5 high school core-course GPA for competition and a 2.0 high school core-course GPA for aid and practice.

Prospects also must successfully complete 10 of the 16 total required core courses before the start of their senior year in high school. Seven of the 10 courses must be successfully completed in English, math and science.

So, it will be kindof like the former Prop athletes? I'm assuming that the requirements are more stringent?

Latest posts