CYRUS KOUANDJIO COMMENTS

Lol at those who said CK doesn't want to put in the work with Doyle. The kid looks like he was cut from granite, that takes a little work I think....

These from my "Sporting News Today" Q&A with the first Auburn, then Alabama, offensive lineman...

"... but Iowa -- living-style wise -- it's just out there and just not me. I wouldn't have been able to thrive in that environment. I love their coaches and I love their team, but it was really just out for me."

He sort of contradicts himself here. He opens up saying he was planning to go to Iowa ... But then he says 'I wouldn't be able to thrive in that environment' ... and living-wise, 'it's out there and just not me.'

Why would he have told his friends he is coming to Iowa, and then here, he just said Iowa is 'just not me?' ... Either way, doesn't matter ... Iowa football will survive.

Lol at those who said CK doesn't want to put in the work with Doyle. The kid looks like he was cut from granite, that takes a little work I think....

Hey it's the go to response. If he doesn't want to go to Iowa, he's lazy or he sucks anyway and we didn't want him. This also applies to current Iowa players thinking about going pro early.

Also how dare you question Kaldenberg and his sources! He has his finger on the pulse of college football. You could only hope to be as connected as he is.

Last edited:
These from my "Sporting News Today" Q&A with the first Auburn, then Alabama, offensive lineman...

"... but Iowa -- living-style wise -- it's just out there and just not me. I wouldn't have been able to thrive in that environment. I love their coaches and I love their team, but it was really just out for me."

He sort of contradicts himself here. He opens up saying he was planning to go to Iowa ... But then he says 'I wouldn't be able to thrive in that environment' ... and living-wise, 'it's out there and just not me.'

Why would he have told his friends he is coming to Iowa, and then here, he just said Iowa is 'just not me?' ... Either way, doesn't matter ... Iowa football will survive.

he told his friends he was going to iowa prior to his visit, no?

Sounds more like he was planning on coming to Iowa by telling his friends that is where he is going, but then was talked out of it. Sounds like the kid had a mass amount of people telling him where he needed to go. I hope he chose Alabama because HE wanted to go there, not because somebody else wanted him to go there. Wish the best for him, but if its not where he really wants to be then it will probably not work out very well.

i think he didn't like the fact that Ferentz was an unethical recruiter.

I don't necessarily think that Ferentz "cheats", but I wouldn't really be surprised. There's not really any coach that would surprise me if they got busted.

Same goes for Hayden Fry. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it came out that he pulled some stuff in his time here.

Just a few random thoughts.

Would he have started as a Freshman at Iowa? He obviously wouldn't have started of Reiff.

Maybe Ferentz couldn't guarantee him that he would be starting.

I'm not saying that had anything to do with it but it's interesting to think about.

This isn't even news worthy and I am sure this thread will go on for days. The OP had information that came out the day CK committed to Bama. It was on this board and we went through this already. How about we just move on and talk about relevent topics. Unreal how bad the attitude of fans are when they don't get picked for the dance.

This isn't even news worthy and I am sure this thread will go on for days. The OP had information that came out the day CK committed to Bama. It was on this board and we went through this already. How about we just move on and talk about relevent topics. Unreal how bad the attitude of fans are when they don't get picked for the dance.

I think it is still of interest when a highly-sought recruit who had Iowa as his first choice comments about why he went in another direction at the last minute.

No sour grapes but I get the feeling the kid is soft, at least in the head. Maybe it is better he didn't come. He liked Iowa, said after his visit it felt like home, then somewhere someone gets that his final three is Auburn, Alabama and New Mexico (New Mexico, really? not even in the same class as any other school you're considering), then announces on signing day he's going to Auburn, stumbles on the name of the school on national TV, admits later he wasn't even sure where he was going at that moment, hours later can't press the send button to fax his letter to Auburn, many days later decides to join his brother in Alabama.

Alabama: warm weather, rarely ever snows, lower academic requirements, be with older bro, Mom and Dad can come down to see both of them on game weekends. The kid took the easy out, seems to me.

Soft.

I've heard from a pretty reliable source that this kid wouldn't have made it at Iowa and work ethic among other things were going to be issues.

Then why was he being recruited? Must be a source Ferentz didn't have access to. Kirk is the last guy to give a rip about recruiting someone just so he can say "I got a 5-star"

The problem with his visit wasn't just that it was cold; it was rushed, less than 24 hours on campus. Not enough time to get a feel for the place.

My impression of the matter: Cyrus is a good kid with a good family, will probably have a fine career, like many 18-yr-olds he's a little insecure, and Alabama was the 'safe' choice in that regard. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
No sour grapes but I get the feeling the kid is soft, at least in the head. Maybe it is better he didn't come. He liked Iowa, said after his visit it felt like home, then somewhere someone gets that his final three is Auburn, Alabama and New Mexico (New Mexico, really? not even in the same class as any other school you're considering), then announces on signing day he's going to Auburn, stumbles on the name of the school on national TV, admits later he wasn't even sure where he was going at that moment, hours later can't press the send button to fax his letter to Auburn, many days later decides to join his brother in Alabama.

Alabama: warm weather, rarely ever snows, lower academic requirements, be with older bro, Mom and Dad can come down to see both of them on game weekends. The kid took the easy out, seems to me.

Soft.

I wouldn't read much into UNM being in his top 3. They were the first to recruit him, and I always felt like that was just kind of a ceremonial thing, a little reward for being first (not bad publicity for UNM, honestly). They never had a prayer of actually getting him, IMO.

I think it's best for some people to keep their "opinions" to themselves. Iowa has commitments and current players that are current and former teammates of Cyrus. Those kids might be reading this. Don't give them the wrong impression because of speculation and personal opinions by Hawk fans.

We had a shot at Cyrus, and he decided to go elsewhere. The reasoning really doesn't matter at this point. Iowa moves on, and so does he.

Love the mind readers on here

Why can't he mean exactly what he said?

I just love how everyone can tell everyone that he meant something different.

He didn't like the negative attention, and yes, its been well documented he doesn't like the cold.

Anyone coming up with other reasons is just bitter

This thread is hilarious. Could you all possibly be in anymore denial? Kid says the rhabdo issue was a reason he didn't come to Iowa, you all put together three pages of reasons why he is lieing, using it as an excuse and how you think he's going to fail.

******* unreal.

This thread is hilarious. Could you all possibly be in anymore denial? Kid says the rhabdo issue was a reason he didn't come to Iowa, you all put together three pages of reasons why he is lieing, using it as an excuse and how you think he's going to fail.

******* unreal.

Its a message board for christ sakes. Loosen up the knot you have in your panties.

Latest posts