Current Basketball roster?

enis is correct, these Summer leagues mean nothing. To expect Basabe to be great because he is dominating in the PTL is setting yourself up for disappointment. The sad part is that par for the course, the people on here touching themselves over this kid will be the first ones to ***** when he doesn't score 25 ppg.

BUT on the other hand, Hawksandwhitesox is correct, the fact that people can be excited about their program is a huge step up for Iowa. They have been so bad the last three years, and they have been boring while being bad. That is a deadly combination.

Agreed...Hawk fans need to look at Basabe as one of the pieces to the puzzle that is "bringing back Iowa Basketball", not as the savior who's going to do it...but holy crap, it feels great to be excited again!

In fact...dammit...LET'S BE MAD AGAIN! Err...uh...sorry...:eek:

How many times do we have to go over this PTL thing. It's correct that you can't expect stats to translate from the PTL to Big Ten games. But the PTL is not useless in assessing a player's game. If you know what you are looking for, you can get a pretty good understanding on what a player's strengths are and what they still need to improve on.

Not to get ahead of myself but to uphold my reputation as Captain Negative this roster still frightens me to death nearly completely devoid of pure basketball talent...I see alot of guys'
whos best skill is still going to be passing around the perimeter and jacking up bad 3's...

The Lickliter era has ended. Did you catch the news?

Agree. These summer leagues mean nothing. No defense is played and the competition is D3 level. Anyone counting on Basabe or anyone else being good next year based off the summer league results will likely be disappointed.

How is the competition D3 level when the teams are stocked with D1 guys, just saying?

One player that I can think of...Fuller.

Also, don't forget to tip your hat to FM for being able to keep Brommer on this team. He and Fuller were very tight and I truly thought Andrew was as good as gone once Fuller decided to leave.

Really? No major-conference school, or decent mid-major would have wanted to use a scholarship on Brommer. He probably could have gone to Winona State or somewhere like that, but that would be about it.

His options would have been more like Palmer's instead of Kelly's, Freeman's, Peterson's, or Fuller's. Hard to see him leaving in that situation.

Really? No major-conference school, or decent mid-major would have wanted to use a scholarship on Brommer. He probably could have gone to Winona State or somewhere like that, but that would be about it.

His options would have been more like Palmer's instead of Kelly's, Freeman's, Peterson's, or Fuller's. Hard to see him leaving in that situation.

Did I say Duke or NC were going to be begging for his services? Regardless of how effective he is at Iowa, if he had left right after Fuller there would have been more crying from the chicken little crowd.

I can tell you that McCaffery has liked what he has seen from Brommer so far. That's all I care about.

Ya but the Lickliter players era won't end for another couple of seasons...

You know I personally don't care whether you choose to get behind the changes in the basketball program and watch this team move and grow in a new direction or not. You can keep your head buried in the sand looking for the worst of all possible scenarios all you want. But as long as you stay in that mindset you will likely miss out on having some fun with Iowa basketball that we haven't really experienced for awhile.

Did I say Duke or NC were going to be begging for his services? Regardless of how effective he is at Iowa, if he had left right after Fuller there would have been more crying from the chicken little crowd.

I can tell you that McCaffery has liked what he has seen from Brommer so far. That's all I care about.

You said that FM should be given credit for keeping Brommer in the fold. My point is that Brommer wouldn't have had many options and definitely nothing even close to Iowa, or for that matter a decent mid-major. So, saying FM deserves credit is a little questionable.

You said that FM should be given credit for keeping Brommer in the fold. My point is that Brommer wouldn't have had many options and definitely nothing even close to Iowa, or for that matter a decent mid-major. So, saying FM deserves credit is a little questionable.

What possible difference does it make what kind of options Brommer had out of high school three years into his college career? If Fran sees potential in Brommer and develops him into a serviceable big man and asset to the team then yes he deserves credit for taking what he has to work with and making the most of it. Fran has a reputation for doing that and it seems vital in re-building a program in as bad of shape as ours has become.

What possible difference does it make what kind of options Brommer had out of high school three years into his college career? If Fran sees potential in Brommer and develops him into a serviceable big man and asset to the team then yes he deserves credit for taking what he has to work with and making the most of it. Fran has a reputation for doing that and it seems vital in re-building a program in as bad of shape as ours has become.

OMG! Here we see another example of the decline of reading comprehension abilities of today's youth.

Let me simplify this for you. Please try to keep up.

1) The OP said that FM should be given credit for being able to keep Brommer when Fuller left, because they were close.

2) I responded by saying that Brommer would have not really had any decent options had he decided to leave. Really, probably D2 at best. His situation was nothing like Fuller's, Kelly's, Freeman's, or Peterson's. He was more like Davis or Palmer. It is really hard to make the argument that a quality team would want to offer a scholarship to a player with Brommer's production to this point.

2a) Why did I say this? Well, it is because giving a coach credit for keeping a player from leaving when the player would not really have any decent options to leave to is questionable.

That is it.

Did I say Brommer won't be able to develop under FM? No.
Did I say FM didn't want him? No.
Did I say he shouldn't be on the team? No

All I said is that giving FM credit for keeping a guy who probably had no other truly viable options is questionable.

Okay, now how do you argue against that point? Well, you prove Brommer did have options, or at least make a case against my claim that he wouldn't.

OMG! Here we see another example of the decline of reading comprehension abilities of today's youth.

Let me simplify this for you. Please try to keep up.

1) The OP said that FM should be given credit for being able to keep Brommer when Fuller left, because they were close.

2) I responded by saying that Brommer would have not really had any decent options had he decided to leave. Really, probably D2 at best. His situation was nothing like Fuller's, Kelly's, Freeman's, or Peterson's. He was more like Davis or Palmer. It is really hard to make the argument that a quality team would want to offer a scholarship to a player with Brommer's production to this point.

2a) Why did I say this? Well, it is because giving a coach credit for keeping a player from leaving when the player would not really have any decent options to leave to is questionable.

That is it.

Did I say Brommer won't be able to develop under FM? No.
Did I say FM didn't want him? No.
Did I say he shouldn't be on the team? No

All I said is that giving FM credit for keeping a guy who probably had no other truly viable options is questionable.

Okay, now how do you argue against that point? Well, you prove Brommer did have options, or at least make a case against my claim that he wouldn't.

I only starting posting here recently because I myself taken back by some of the negativity I read here. And I must say I find the tone of your post more than a little condescending and uncalled for.

I did take what you wrote out of context a bit. I have read also about Fuller and Brommer having a close friendship and thought we might lose Brommer when Fuller decided to move on. It still doesn't matter what kind of options Brommer would have had if he had chosen to look around. It matters that we kept Brommer in the fold and he has the potential to develop into one of next season's pleasant surprises

Okay. I wouldn't have gone to the condescending tone if you would have just said, "Yeah, I guess I should have just said, I am glad Brommer didn't leave as opposed to saying FM should get props for him not leaving." It was a silly point. You accept that and move on, or you argue the merits of that issue instead of changing the subject or trying to distort what I was saying by discussing Brommer's choices out of high school.

Now, all of this being said. Have you seen Brommer's stats in PTL? There is nothing there to suggest a pleasant surprise. So I am wondering where you are getting that?

Okay. I wouldn't have gone to the condescending tone if you would have just said, "Yeah, I guess I should have just said, I am glad Brommer didn't leave as opposed to saying FM should get props for him not leaving." It was a silly point. You accept that and move on, or you argue the merits of that issue instead of changing the subject or trying to distort what I was saying by discussing Brommer's choices out of high school.

Now, all of this being said. Have you seen Brommer's stats in PTL? There is nothing there to suggest a pleasant surprise. So I am wondering where you are getting that?

LOL. So now the PTL stats matter? You are becoming more transparent every day. If you can't see the benefit of FM convincing Brommer to stay, than there is no point in me explaining it to you. But I will try. It's not about Brommer's choices. It's about his ability to help the Iowa program. We are a better team with him than we are without him. I'm not saying he is going to be getting All-Conference honors. But he is a great teammate, has a great attitude, and is improving daily.

I have said all along I think PTL stats matter. Better B10 players end up being better PTL players.

But, fair enough on your point on Brommer. Sure you would say the same thing about Archie. Because of the Hawks' brutal lack of depth up front it is good just to have warm bodies.

I have said all along I think PTL stats matter. Better B10 players end up being better PTL players.

But, fair enough on your point on Brommer. Sure you would say the same thing about Archie. Because of the Hawks' brutal lack of depth up front it is good just to have warm bodies.

To be honest, I haven't heard anything positive about Archie. I got a chance to watch him practice a few times last season. But unfortunately I never saw his team play in the PTL. The first person you think of is Looby when you see him. I imagine even the biggest homer would have trouble seeing him adding quality minutes this season. The skill set just isn't there. Hopefully I am wrong. But you are probably right with the "warm bodies" statement.

One of the first things I heard when FM arrived was how impressed he was with how Brommer ran the floor. And that he loved the potential in him. Perhaps that is clouding my judgement. I'm pretty realistic when it comes to Iowa's athletic programs. But every once in a while I like to pull out the "hope card" like everyone else. :)

Not to get ahead of myself but to uphold my reputation as Captain Negative this roster still frightens me to death nearly completely devoid of pure basketball talent...I see alot of guys'
whos best skill is still going to be passing around the perimeter and jacking up bad 3's...

One of the rare times I agree with you CU3. These guys aren't world-beaters. It'll be a long road back, if that's even possible. My initial enthusiasm for the coaching change (which was certainly needed) has been tempered by the reality of summer, recruiting, the sad state of Iowa basketball, etc.

Still think Fran will get it done. But I'd like the key achievement to date being something more than bringing along one moderately talented recruit from Siena.

Latest posts