Cuonzo Martin to Tennessee

Saw this on wikipedia, didnt take long. haha

Tennessee

[edit] 2011–present

On March 27, 2011, after 3 seasons at Missouri State, Martin was hired as the head coach of the Tennessee Volunteers. And once again led to the Volunteers being terrible at basketball. Hamilton has signed his death wish for sure now.

At least Martin was know for running a clean program at Missouri State. In which I might add that he turned around in a relatively short amount of time. A quick hire, but not a bad one imo

I think it would be quick to judge, Dooley is going to turn the football program around, well he started this year, making a bowl with one of the most talentless rosters in the SEC.
Martin is a guy that learned from some good people and Missouri St. has been a team that should have been in the tourney the this year and last, but mid majors get judged differently, unfairly.
It seems that Tennessee is actually looking at the character factor when hiring now, shocking, after they let the athletic programs run rampant for so long.

Turned around Missouri State?

They had 24 wins the season before he showed up, didn't they. Or maybe it was two seasons before him. But they didn't make the NCAA Tourney. They still didn't make it under him.

I am not sure he turned them around. I could be wrong, but they did have something like 24 wins and the best RPI to NOT make the tourney, or something like that.

Missouri State is known for sending coaches to BCS schools and having them succeed instantly ... and sustaining it. Cradle of coaches, you might say.

I loved Cuonzo as a player, but his coaching experience is pretty limited for a program like Tennessee

If they hired Shaka Smart everybody would be talking about what a great get it was. Smart's only had two years of experience and Martin has had three years and has improved his record each year. Plus he spent eight years as an assistant at Purdue, so he's had experience recruiting big time players.

This is a great hire for Tennessee considering their circumstances. I don't know who some of you thought they would get that would be a better option. Tennessee is a middle of the pack SEC job that could be under heavy sanctions next season, hiring Martin away this quickly is pretty impressive.

Tennessee isn't a prime time bball job. They are better since Pearl took over but they aren't going to bring in anybody right now that is a big name. I am actually SHOCKED that Cuonzo would go there. There may be some NCAA sanctions coming their way

Latest posts