Cubs and going to Chicago

Hawkfromnorwalk

First off about the Cubs. Does this years team kind of remind you of the 04/05 teams. Starting pitchers routinely giving up runs in the first then locking it down, little to no offense for some pitchers (like Clement in 04)?

Now to the real question. The wifey and I are heading the Chi-town Friday through Sunday. We got tix to the Saturday and Sunday games. Beyond that, we are looking for some good places to eat? Everytime we go to Chicago we usually end up downtown at like House of Blues and such, which isn't horrible but I'm looking for somthing local. I want some good deep dish. Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
ginos east. pizza discussion ends here

Giordano's or Lou Malnati's are also very good.

The cubs are bad... real bad this year. but enough Old style still makes for a good time in the bleachers.

Last edited:
Yeah, **** eating downtown at places like that - total waste of money (and experience).

What kind of food do you think you;ll be looking for? Honestly, I'd say don't waste your time with pizza. Chicago deep-dish casserole pizza-ish stuff is overrated.

So anyway, what are you looking for, style/ethnicity/vibe-wise?

The original Gino's East as said before. I was a southsider, so since your are going to be downtown and northside I can't help too much. Harry Caray's was always good though.

Yeah, **** eating downtown at places like that - total waste of money (and experience).

What kind of food do you think you;ll be looking for? Honestly, I'd say don't waste your time with pizza. Chicago deep-dish casserole pizza-ish stuff is overrated.

So anyway, what are you looking for, style/ethnicity/vibe-wise?

I'm definitely not picky. I'm looking for either really good food or places that have good atmosphere as well. Last time in town I ate at the Goose Island restaurant in Wrigleyville and it was good. So really I am open to anything. We'll be around the Wrigley area most often but we are staying near the airport so to be honest, whether by "el" or by car, I am willing to go anywhere within reason.

Ok, here's a quick-*** rundown of a few places I recommend (not in any order or anything, just good eatin'):

Hot Doug's - GET THERE EARLY. This is definitely a very special place, and an experience unto itself. Go on Friday or Saturday for duckfat french fries.

Vietnamese:
Hoang Cafe - best Vietnamese food I've had in the city. Not that I've tried like, a bajillion different Vietnamese places, but whatever. This place rules. Awesome, awesome sliced beef pho (that's "fuh," not "foe," to the uninitiated) and spring rolls.

Korean:
We really like San Chae Dol Sot. We've never seen any other white people in there - a good sign. Everything we've had there has been awesome.

Indian:
Just go up to Devon Ave and pick a place. Ask someone on the street which place is their fave, and go there. We like Udupi Palace and Indian Garden.

Thai:
Thai Classic, right on Clark down the street from Wrigley.

Brazillian/Italian:
Al Primo Canto. We tried this place a week or two ago, and really liked it.

More upscale:
Blackbird
Sepia

Italian:
Rose Angelis

I have really been wanting to go to Hot Doug's for quite some time, after all we share the best name on the planet. I did have some friends get me a shirt on their last visit, so at least I have that.

South Halsted, Greek Town. Pick a spot, order pretty much everything (if you're with a good group), and enjoy. Don't be picky, don't be in a hurry, and leave your hang-ups at the door.
Opaa.

Here is a small list to add to Bucket's (although his list was very good):

Tango Sur (Argentinian steakhouse, BYOB, within walking distance of Wrigley)
Club Lucky (Italian food, Wicker Park, large portions)
Silver Palm (3 little pigs sandwich, cool vibe, near west side)
Uncommon Ground (great brunch, oragnic, just north of Wrigley on Clark)
Kuma's Korner (giant burgers, waffle fries, all burgers named after a diff metal band, west belmont)
DMK Burger Bar (newer burger place, good beer selection, Wellington/Sheffield)
Fat Willy's Rib Shack (great bbq, western/fullerton)

Hope that helps, none of those are more than a $10-$15 cab ride from Wrigley. Otherwise I would look for a bar on the northside with a nice patio (i.e. Justin's, Kirkwood, or Murphy's of course) to just relax and enjoy the weather or possibly a Cubs W.

Having spent 16 years in the Chicago area, I can make one other terriffic recommendation either for en-route, or on the way back home.

Paradise Pup, 1724 S River Rd in Des Plaines. Just a short drive from O'Hare. Just an incredibly small joint with the most amazing burgers, I kid you not.

We used to hit that place for lunch on a pretty regular basis in the summer. Check out their reviews. It's also been written up in the Tribune multiple times.

Paradise Pup - Des Plaines, IL, 60018 - Citysearch

If you are looking for a cheap, big meal around game time go to Lucky's Sandwich Shop on Clark. For about 7-8 bucks you get a sandwich that's about 4 inches thick topped with coleslaw and french fries on the actual sandwich itself. It's delicious and almost impossible to finish one. With beers or pops it's about the only completely filling meal you can have around Wrigleyville for under 25 bucks for 2.

If you are looking for a cheap, big meal around game time go to Lucky's Sandwich Shop on Clark. For about 7-8 bucks you get a sandwich that's about 4 inches thick topped with coleslaw and french fries on the actual sandwich itself. It's delicious and almost impossible to finish one. With beers or pops it's about the only completely filling meal you can have around Wrigleyville for under 25 bucks for 2.

You watched Man vs Food the other night, didn't you?

Smoque for good BBQ. Fat Willy's is also very good.

Pizza- You can't go wrong with Gino's or Giordano's

Steak- Weber Grill is good, along with Lawry's, Ruth Chris, & Morton's.

And if you have never been to Portillo's, you need to go. Great food at afforable prices. I've never been disappointed there, and I've been in the city almost 10 years. The charburger and hot dogs are the best.

Latest posts