Crowd Interactions

with 70,000 or so in most games, there will be dicks on both sides. Inevitable. But, when you have the same experience over and over again, at some point it is not bad luck.

Last Sat I had a good time tossing the pigskin with a Michigan guy who parked at the same house I did. Usually I throw it around with whoever goes to the game with me, but my wife is not big on football and was glad to visit with the guy's 70 yr old mother instead. Super nice guy, and both he and his mom were amused that my last name is actually 'Harbaugh'!

Here’s something people need to understand…

There will be drunk assholes at every game, everywhere. No matter what. There’s no stopping it. Unfortunately if you take young kids to games that’s something you’re going to have to live with. I understand the frustration because I’m a parent myself, but it is what it is. I truly wish it was different. I’ve seen epic online rants from parents at games where they went on and on about their kids having to hear swear words, seeing drunk a-holes stumbling, basically watching people be puddles of piss.

I get it. I truly do. But it’s 100%, without fail, guaranteed that these dudes are going to be at every big college and pro game in the country. Everyone knows it, and everyone should expect it. If you want to totally shield your kids from seeing drunks be drunks, you’re just flat out gonna have to stay home.

You don’t move to Florida and not hurricanes.

You don’t drive through Ft Dodge and not expect to get shot at.

Why would you go to an event where 100,000 people in town are drinking all day and not expect to see folks who get out of hand?

Either explain to your kids that drunk idiots are just idiots and use it as an example of how not to act (what I did), or leave ‘em home.

My worst experience by far was at the 1/2/2006 Outback bowl vs Florida.

The MF gator fans were generally rude, wanted to fight, heckled me and the Mrs. the entire game, etc.

And if you recall that game, Iowa recovered an on-sides kick at the end that was overturned, so FL won. And wouldn't you know it, the FL "fans" were terrible/smug winners.

Screw em.

Last edited:
Arizona fans were the worst experience I've eve had on the road bar none.

I have some good friends who went to that AZ game and they were horrified by the experience.
And they are/were not some wallflowers. Talented tail-gaters all. But they basically felt unsafe.

I've come to consider the folks I sit near at Kinnick as good friends, but man, there were a couple of assholes a couple rows behind us at the Michigan game that felt like they had to yell foul names at Jim Harbaugh the entire 1st half (we sit in Row 15 behind the visitor bench) at the top of their lungs. Beyond obnoxious. At one point I turned around and motioned for them to 'cool it', to no avail. Oddly, the entire 2nd half they were dead silent...made me wonder if someone hadn't texted to the 'security office' and someone came and warned them.
My best road game story: after beating Indiana 7-0 back in the late '80s, as my friend and I were walking out of their stadium and into the parking lot, an Indiana fan walked up to us, handed us a bottle of cold champagne, and said "Here, you guys won the game and deserve it." Sure made the ride/drive back to Iowa that evening more enjoyable!
Guessing all the drunk had worn off, headed downward and getting ready for bed. Drunk folks get mean or happy sound like those got mean.

Y'all made me chuckle about 10 times in this thread.
Also, what's up with Fort Dodge? I mean...my experience with it is...it's just there. Unremarkable. Except the damn mobile speed trap cameras. Burned me for a ticket driving into town to get 40% off on a 2 lbs. Salted Nut Roll from Menards on Black Friday a couple years ago.

Lived in AZ for 11 years. Every state has their own #1 shit hole. Kind of like Ft Dodge is Iowa's, Tucson is Arizona's.

Phoenix and Mesa are really cool towns comparatively, but Tucson is an absolute unwashed butthole. To be honest it has no reason to exist. Terrible, inhospitable location, and it's on the way to nowhere that anyone who's not a criminal or insane wants to go to. The interstate north and south out of that place are wasted concrete.
Yep, this is correct. The freaking dirty T is gross. Do yourselves a favor and drive the extra 70 or so miles to Mexico.

Georgia Tech - hung out with a few of them at the orange bowl - they were awesome and just amazed at how Iowa took over the place. I got drunk with them - it was fun.

Clemson- sat by a bunch at a NC state vs Clemson game - ironically they were also Ohio State fans the day we took them to the woodshed. Before the game even started they were saying how concerned they were to play at Iowa - I thought there were just being nice, then one of the best games ever happened. I was wearing an Iowa cap and NC state shirt - so many Clemson fans came up to me giving me high fives for knocking O$U out of the playoffs. On the walk back to my car a couple Clemson guys invited me to their tailgate to have some beer and burgers.

Obviously interactions with a couple of fans don't reflect the entire fanbase.

Latest posts