Current cross-over games
Wisconsin - Michigan
Iowa - Penn State
Northwestern - Michigan State
Illinois - Rutgers
Nebraska - Ohio State
Minnesota - Maryland
Purdue - Indiana

The two dominant teams in the east and west get matched against each other. At the same time the top contenders Penn State, Iowa, Northwestern, and Michigan get relatively weak cross-overs; Penn State-Illinois, Iowa-Rutgers,Northwestern-Maryland, Michigan-Nebraska. I don't think this is coincidental. Maybe it's coincidental, but the effect will be to occasionally knock Ohio State & Wisconsin down a notch, and elevate Penn State, Michigan, Iowa & Northwestern. (But this is coincidental, right?)

The Minnesta - Michigan State game makes for a nice cross-over rivalry.

If Nebraska becomes competitive it makes the Nebraska - Michigan game more interesting. If they don't Michigan gets a boost. Win - Win

Future cross-over games.
Wisconsin - Ohio State
Iowa - Rutgers
Northwestern - Maryland
Illinois - Penn State
Nebraska - Michigan
Minnesota - Michigan State
Purdue - Indiana

Current cross-over games
Wisconsin - Michigan
Iowa - Penn State
Northwestern - Michigan State
Illinois - Rutgers
Nebraska - Ohio State
Minnesota - Maryland
Purdue - Indiana

The two dominant teams in the east and west get matched against each other. At the same time the top contenders Penn State, Iowa, Northwestern, and Michigan get relatively weak cross-overs; Penn State-Illinois, Iowa-Rutgers,Northwestern-Maryland, Michigan-Nebraska. I don't think this is coincidental. Maybe it's coincidental, but the effect will be to occasionally knock Ohio State & Wisconsin down a notch, and elevate Penn State, Michigan, Iowa & Northwestern. (But this is coincidental, right?)

The Minnesta - Michigan State game makes for a nice cross-over rivalry.

If Nebraska becomes competitive it makes the Nebraska - Michigan game more interesting. If they don't Michigan gets a boost. Win - Win
Of course Nebraska draws a tough crossover. So we can hear Frost bitch about it for another six years. Not that Frost will be there beyond four. His teams suck, they can't stop flapping their gums and they can't stay out of trouble off the field.

Grasshopper Gulch nation, for the last and final time. This isn't the nineties, youre no longer in the old big eight, and this offense wont work in this conference unless physical offense and defensive lines are in place.

Enjoy your quiet December. Maybe you can give the farmers a hand. They are still trying to finish up their harvest season.

Of course Nebraska draws a tough crossover. So we can hear Frost bitch about it for another six years. Not that Frost will be there beyond four. His teams suck, they can't stop flapping their gums and they can't stay out of trouble off the field.

Grasshopper Gulch nation, for the last and final time. This isn't the nineties, youre no longer in the old big eight, and this offense wont work in this conference unless physical offense and defensive lines are in place.

Enjoy your quiet December. Maybe you can give the farmers a hand. They are still trying to finish up their harvest season.

Maryland runs a similar offense with similar results. Their opponents have plenty of experience defending spread attacks and Maryland can't keep their running quarterbacks healthy.

Yep. If we let them hang around in games too often they might get ideas though.

Kirk hardly ever beats teams early in seasons by big scores to get his backup skill players like the QBs some needed reps so there is a lot of letting the other teams hang around by this coaching staff.

The B1G TV contract is up in 2022. These crossover games will never get played. I’m guessing the B1G is divisionless and playing an 8 game schedule we’ll before then.

The B1G TV contract is up in 2022. These crossover games will never get played. I’m guessing the B1G is divisionless and playing an 8 game schedule we’ll before then.

Gawd I hope not on the 8 game schedule. That would be probably one more boring non-con against North Texas etc

I'd like to see the playoff committee say you have to play 2 power 5 teams in the non conference and 9 conference games. We already play one P5 every year Iowa State...and they suck less now than their history dictates.

The SEC has to stop the McNeese State games late in their season as it effectively acts as an additional bye week.

I'd like to see the playoff committee say you have to play 2 power 5 teams in the non conference and 9 conference games. We already play one P5 every year Iowa State...and they suck less now than their history dictates.

The SEC has to stop the McNeese State games late in their season as it effectively acts as an additional bye week.

Yes and LSU played an FCS team as do other P5 teams like Iowa etc.

I agree with you with 9 conf games. But many smaller schools depend on getting beat and making a big payday playing at Mich or Iowa or Bama.

I doubt the next TV contract will be as big as the last, but it will still be large. Football is gradually losing total market, but everything else is at a faster rate. It's part of increased market fragmentation in the Internet economy.

I rather doubt the B1G will go divisionless unless two teams drop. Even in the worst case scenario, the soonest I could see either Rutgers or Maryland drop out is 2026. The money is too important to their sports operations.

<<(A)s it effectively acts as an additional bye week>>

By design...

Latest posts