Crickets over here

BigD

I keep checking on this side of the forums to check on any new news and it’s always the same. Fran really needs to land a big fish recruit or something to get some fan excitement going. I realize it’s the off season and a lot of you (like myself) are gearing up for the football season. I really think when we lost that last four star recruit it took out a lot of air from the balloon. To not even make the top three after Fran spent so much time on the kid.

Wow can you even imagine what it will be like if we have a repeat of last year? It would just help if we could land a really good player especially a point guard. All we can hope for is that everyone stays healthy and that Fran’s son and Wieskamp can add some much needed chemistry to this program. Just glad to have Cook back. If nothing else at least he is fun to watch around the basket.

We need to make the Big Dance to have any chance with Foster, most likely. That is if he doesn't commit to Duke or Kansas or wherever before seeing whether Iowa makes it anyway.

We need to make the Big Dance to have any chance with Foster, most likely. That is if he doesn't commit to Duke or Kansas or wherever before seeing whether Iowa makes it anyway.

Couldn’t agree more. Until Fran makes some noise in the Big Dance what will attract Foster type point guards? Playing time as a freshman? Being under the spotlight of the team?

I can’t help but remember Fran saying last year that this was the most experienced and depth he has had at Iowa. This upcoming season was one that many predicted would make a lot of noise. However many of those same posters never saw last year coming. This upcoming season will define Fran’s coaching career at Iowa in my opinion.

Something to think about the Kansas offer is their dormitory and the campus isn't that far of a drive from Oskie. Also, Self > Fran :(

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/c...asketball-photos-videos/article104314006.html

Unfortunately I am afraid you are probably correct in your assessment. It’s almost going to take a recruit saying “eff it! I am going to take a chance and roll the dice with Iowa.” I guess we can always hope that one of his sons or or other player blows up after they get to Iowa. We need an Aaron White in a point guard position. I really like bo a lot but his foot speed really hurts our defense. I think as a off guard he would be a tremendous addition to any power five team that already has a top notch point guard and is looking for an off guard with ice in their veins from three point land. Can you imagine how dangerous Bo would be if we had a top notch point guard who can break down defenses leaving either Bo open from the outside or passing off to Cook underneath. We could be competing for the B1G title if we had that missing piece. It’s a damn shame! :(

I keep checking on this side of the forums to check on any new news and it’s always the same. Fran really needs to land a big fish recruit or something to get some fan excitement going. I realize it’s the off season and a lot of you (like myself) are gearing up for the football season. I really think when we lost that last four star recruit it took out a lot of air from the balloon. To not even make the top three after Fran spent so much time on the kid.

Wow can you even imagine what it will be like if we have a repeat of last year? It would just help if we could land a really good player especially a point guard. All we can hope for is that everyone stays healthy and that Fran’s son and Wieskamp can add some much needed chemistry to this program. Just glad to have Cook back. If nothing else at least he is fun to watch around the basket.

You're not wrong about much here, but I would point out that Iowa has it's highest rated recruit in about 20 years on the team this year. Not to mention 3 four star players in Joe W, Cook and Garza. So, Fran's been landing highly rated players and because he missed on 1 kid, doesn't change that fact. I am excited for this season but after last year, how can anyone be overly optimistic? I just don't know how much you can rail on Fran for needing to land some big fish when he has 3 four stars on one team. Not sure the last time Iowa has had that. That said, there's 0 excuse for the team to not be good this season and if it's not, it's 100% an indictment of Fran being a bad coach. He gets this season to prove it or move it.

You're not wrong about much here, but I would point out that Iowa has it's highest rated recruit in about 20 years on the team this year. Not to mention 3 four star players in Joe W, Cook and Garza. So, Fran's been landing highly rated players and because he missed on 1 kid, doesn't change that fact. I am excited for this season but after last year, how can anyone be overly optimistic? I just don't know how much you can rail on Fran for needing to land some big fish when he has 3 four stars on one team. Not sure the last time Iowa has had that. That said, there's 0 excuse for the team to not be good this season and if it's not, it's 100% an indictment of Fran being a bad coach. He gets this season to prove it or move it.

I can agree with your assessment.

Something to think about the Kansas offer is their dormitory and the campus isn't that far of a drive from Oskie. Also, Self > Fran :(

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/c...asketball-photos-videos/article104314006.html

I don't think we can say for sure that Self > Fran, at least at coaching. We do know he has better players. Kind of like Saban. They beat you because their players are simply better than yours. Fran has recruited good players and has missed on point guards. Would we be saying this if KY hadn't swooped in and taken Ulis? Guess we'll never know.

I don't think we can say for sure that Self > Fran, at least at coaching. We do know he has better players. Kind of like Saban. They beat you because their players are simply better than yours. Fran has recruited good players and has missed on point guards. Would we be saying this if KY hadn't swooped in and taken Ulis? Guess we'll never know.
You need to get your head checked.

Yes, I realize my post probably sounds crazy, considering Fran hasn't exactly kicked butt. All I'm saying is that it's a lot more about the players than "coaching ability"... You know, the Jimmies and the Joes. If Fran could have closed on some of his biggest targets at PG, which usually go to programs like Kansas, he'd miraculously become a better coach.

we-all-go-a-little-mad-sometimes-monday-madness.gif

Both teams had to be running hurry up no huddle offenses.

That game had to have taken over four hours to play.
My son's FR team played Liberty high school last season. the first 7 times they touched the ball, they scored a TD on Liberty. It was 49 -0 early in the 2nd quarter. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen.
Opening kickoff? Run back for a TD.
Ensuing on side kick recovered, first down play = 45 yrd run for a TD.
Ensuing on side kick recovered again. First play = 40 yard pass for a TD.
Liberty finally gets the ball and promptly loses a fumble on 2nd down. First play = 22 yard run for a TD
Liberty goes 3 and out - punt return for a TD.
Liberty throws INT on 2nd down. First play = 38 yard pass for a TD.
Liberty fumbles on 3rd down. First play = 40 yard run for a TD.

My son's FR team played Liberty high school last season. the first 7 times they touched the ball, they scored a TD on Liberty. It was 49 -0 early in the 2nd quarter. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen.
Opening kickoff? Run back for a TD.
Ensuing on side kick recovered, first down play = 45 yrd run for a TD.
Ensuing on side kick recovered again. First play = 40 yard pass for a TD.
Liberty finally gets the ball and promptly loses a fumble on 2nd down. First play = 22 yard run for a TD
Liberty goes 3 and out - punt return for a TD.
Liberty throws INT on 2nd down. First play = 38 yard pass for a TD.
Liberty fumbles on 3rd down. First play = 40 yard run for a TD.
My oldest boy once played in a game where they scored on their first four plays from scrimmage, but seven had to leave everyone's head spinning.

Was there a continuous clock in the second half?

The way things were going the player who picked off the pass probably got a good ribbing for not getting a pick six:D

9/8 is big hoops recruiting weekend. including, '19 pg Toussaint. then 9/15 '19 pg Greenlee visits. 9/22 '19 pg Collins visits. We should have a '19 pg commit soon, i believe. for what it's worth, i rate 1) Toussaint, 2) Collins, 3) Greenlee.