Crazy Idea? Move Blythe?

HawkI4eva

I know some might think this is crazy but it seems easier to recruiting OL then DL. I know that A. Blythe played both DL and OL in H.S. as well as wrestled. I just think he would be athletic enough to make the move. He is a big body that we need at DT.

I know some might think this is crazy but it seems easier to recruiting OL then DL. I know that A. Blythe played both DL and OL in H.S. as well as wrestled. I just think he would be athletic enough to make the move. He is a big body that we need at DT.

Not crazy ... just not a big team need in 2012.

Iowa has a MUCH, MUCH bigger need at DE in 2012 ... and moving Blythe over to the DL wouldn't help us in that regard.

He'll be a starting guard next year is my guess. I've heard from a few people that Ferentz is all over this kid. Scherff moves to LT and Blythe moves to LG. Nolan Mac at the other guard...and the right tackle is all you have left. Most likely Donnal, but we will see.

Not sure if it makes sense or not. But you can bet if it does...this staff will wait at least til mid-season next year when the D has given up 30/game before they make the change.

Pro-active...they're not.

Not crazy ... just not a big team need in 2012.

Iowa has a MUCH, MUCH bigger need at DE in 2012 ... and moving Blythe over to the DL wouldn't help us in that regard.

CJ to DE?

I look at him and I see a sweet DE...I know he is supposed to be a stud TE, but he has not beat out a Walk on at this point... He is a freak athlete with amazing size. Long and fast...DE all over him.

Not sure if it makes sense or not. But you can bet if it does...this staff will wait at least til mid-season next year when the D has given up 30/game before they make the change.

Pro-active...they're not.
You're right. Iowa's staff has had a terrible track record of finding the right spot for players. Come to think of it. Every time I watch an NFL game, I don't see 2 or 3 former hawkeyes that weren't highly touted recruits playing in the NFL because of the help of the staff and their ability to find the best spot for players.

CJ to DE?

I look at him and I see a sweet DE...I know he is supposed to be a stud TE, but he has not beat out a Walk on at this point... He is a freak athlete with amazing size. Long and fast...DE all over him.

CJ Fed has been progressing fine at TE from everything I've heard. We love our TEs and we'll need the depth at that spot too. Thus, he needs to STAY THERE!

He'll be a starting guard next year is my guess. I've heard from a few people that Ferentz is all over this kid. Scherff moves to LT and Blythe moves to LG. Nolan Mac at the other guard...and the right tackle is all you have left. Most likely Donnal, but we will see.

If that plays out ... then that is a pretty intriguing scenario. It would be especially funky ... particularly if Reiff sticks around too. It would imply that Tobin gets bumped from the starting line-up too. A starting line-up of Reiff, Ferentz, Scherff, MacMillan, and Blythe definitely sounds good. And to have a former starter like Tobin even being a top back-up .... that would be saying A LOT about what Blythe brings to the table. I hope that you're right. You've definitely piqued my interest! Thanks!

Not sure if it makes sense or not. But you can bet if it does...this staff will wait at least til mid-season next year when the D has given up 30/game before they make the change. Pro-active...they're not.

Seriously??? Our 2nd best qb is at lb now. We should have made that move earlier.... Im shocked Derby moved at all this year.

You're right. Iowa's staff has had a terrible track record of finding the right spot for players. Come to think of it. Every time I watch an NFL game, I don't see 2 or 3 former hawkeyes that weren't highly touted recruits playing in the NFL because of the help of the staff and their ability to find the best spot for players.

Dallas Clark was a linebacker, Gallery was a tight end, McNutt was a quarterback, Matt Roth was a linebacker & the list of poor decisions by the coaching staff goes on & on. Probably the worst move by the staff was moving Babineaux from fullback to defensive tackle.

Just from this list it is clear that Iowa's staff doesn't know what they are doing!

Its a huge key to Iowa being successful is moving players to different positions. the problem has been lately we have lost too many players because when you make a position change or move a fulback or LB to DL it takes a while for that player to build their strength to play that position.

I hope they have some ideas for the DL next year. If we could have a middle of the road DL I think we would have a great chance to contend with JVB and the offense returning.

I think Blythe is in line to take over for Ferentz at Center when JF graduates. Not saying he couldn't get in at the guard position, but I think people are forgetting about Walsh, who was the #2 guard in the country last year. Think of this for next year:

LT: MacMillin/Donnal/Scherff
LG: Tobin/Walsh
C: Ferentz/Blythe/Bofelli
RG: Walsh/Blythe/MacMillan
RT: Scherff/Donnal

I think that MacMillan is more of a Tackle if he ever gets healthy

the Oline looks pretty stacked. I ddi see Donnal at LT on Saturday in mop up duty I believe

Latest posts