COVID-19 Hawkeye Story/Content Ideas

RobHowe

Administrator
Please hit me with some story/content ideas while the competition is halted.

Like I said, I'm working on a team-by-team outlook for Big Ten Basketball. Thinking about some positional outlooks for Iowa football. Will be hitting up some recruits for updates. Will try to crank up a few Where are They Now pods.

Can't guarantee I'll take you up on your suggestions but will do my best. Thanks.

Please hit me with some story/content ideas while the competition is halted.

Like I said, I'm working on a team-by-team outlook for Big Ten Basketball. Thinking about some positional outlooks for Iowa football. Will be hitting up some recruits for updates. Will try to crank up a few Where are They Now pods.

Can't guarantee I'll take you up on your suggestions but will do my best. Thanks.

There's no recruiting, currently, so that may be problematic.

How about "Iowa vs. MSU 2007: Why is BTN still showing that game?" Why, you may ask? Because we're going to be seeing it a ton the next couple months!

Choose a team from a a year and highlight said year with follow ups of where they are now.

I would love to see where the 1981 basketball team is.

Preview all teams of the 2021 season.

Buy OOTP 2020 and create a NCAA baseball league and pay the season. Report on the season as it progresses.

Give us updates on Hawkeye seniors from all sports and the next step they take in life.

Invite Hawkeye players to play golf and do a running commentary on the stories they tell throughout the 18 holes.

Enlighten us on ALL the sports the U has, And the recent results of their seasons. Go back about 3 seasons.

I mean this suggestion with all due sincerity (since I've been a long-time critic of athletic-driven education)....

Focus a story 100% on the academic side of the machine called the NCAA (at Iowa). Lord knows that's all you hear as the party line from the University suits is "student-athlete"

• Do students feel they have to compromise their choice of major based upon the requirements of their sport?
  • Does Iowa put their money where their mouth is about academics, or do they merely funnel people into "keep eligible" classes?
  • What were they promised or told about their academics when they were being recruited?
  • What is the predominant course(s) of study for Iowa athletes?
  • Who has made all B1G and/or NCAA academic all-american teams?
  • BTN and the NCAA should actively promote who makes all-american academic team (when's the last time you saw this if ever other than a 10 second sound bite?)..find out if either is ever going to do this?
  • Who has gone on to use (solely/directly) their academic degree to have a better life?

I think this would be fascinating reading versus how many yards/points/on-the-field/court endeavors.

I mean this suggestion with all due sincerity (since I've been a long-time critic of athletic-driven education)....

Focus a story 100% on the academic side of the machine called the NCAA (at Iowa). Lord knows that's all you hear as the party line from the University suits is "student-athlete"...

I'd read those articles. +1

There's no recruiting, currently, so that may be problematic.

How about "Iowa vs. MSU 2007: Why is BTN still showing that game?" Why, you may ask? Because we're going to be seeing it a ton the next couple months!

Oh, there's still recruiting. There's no face-to-face recruiting, but it's just like a dead or quiet period. Recruiting never sleeps.

I'm going to really set the bar high here bud.

I've really been impressed with Kevin Warren and the way he carries himself. I think he's done a great job so far as commissioner of the BIG. I'm also impressed how he's handled this COVID-19 situation. It has to be difficult his first year to have to make the calls dealing with this when it is unprecedented and having to cancel the BIG tournament. I'm sure he never thought he'd have to deal with this.

Once this COVID-19 deal settles down just a bit, I'd think it would be interesting if you could secure an interview with him and/or a possible podcast interview. He may be so new he may be open to it. Hell, all sports are at a halt now anyway. He just may agree!

Where are they now with Ronnie Harmon.

A feature on the weirdest Iowa football season ever: 1988

I've been trying for this one for 20 years. I have a good friend who is close with his wife. She asks for me periodically. He ain't talking. Being charged with fumbling intentionally has shut him down. Maybe someday.

I've been trying for this one for 20 years. I have a good friend who is close with his wife. She asks for me periodically. He ain't talking. Being charged with fumbling intentionally has shut him down. Maybe someday.

That's too bad and really unfortunate that one game can tarnish an entire collegiate career and post career relationships. He was one of the first great Hawkeye players that I remember when growing up when starting to be influenced by Iowa sports.

He and Chuck Long are my first player memories for football. Steve Carfino for basketball. He's pretty much spent his life in Australia, very successful as a player then sports broadcaster and host.

Rob do you know if KF has ever asked Ronnie to be an Honorary Captain or is he just totally against coming back?

I don't know for sure, but I will try to find out. I wouldn't be surprised if he's tried. Hopefully it happens. The family does come back to Iowa City on occasion. Hopefully time will eventually heal the wounds.

Rob do a story on how people are filling the void in their lives that is gone now that sports have been shut down. Then research whether or not everyone is getting cranky or if it's just me.

Those of us who have been gone from IC for a long time would like a feature on townie bars in IC/Coralville/North Lib/Solon/West Lib/Atalissa. Is Charlie's still around? How about Nickelodeon?

Maybe a circle of some of the establishments in Eastern Iowa that cater to more, how shall I say it, "adult" tastes and let us know if the virus has stifled their dreams of finishing medical school.

Maybe talk to the food cart operators in the ped mall and the folks at that late night taco bell to see how they are holding up. No need to limit it to sports. This is your chance to really shine as a journalist.

Choose the 64 greatest moments in Hawkeye football/men's basketball history, group them into four regions, seed them one through sixteen, and have Hawkeye nation vote on the winners one matchup at a time until you have a champion.

Those of us who have been gone from IC for a long time would like a feature on townie bars in IC/Coralville/North Lib/Solon/West Lib/Atalissa. Is Charlie's still around? How about Nickelodeon?

Maybe a circle of some of the establishments in Eastern Iowa that cater to more, how shall I say it, "adult" tastes and let us know if the virus has stifled their dreams of finishing medical school.

Maybe talk to the food cart operators in the ped mall and the folks at that late night taco bell to see how they are holding up. No need to limit it to sports. This is your chance to really shine as a journalist.

I'd petition the NCAA to consider granting them a 5th year of eligibility as well. You know to perfect their craft before they have to hang it up to be doctors.

Choose the 64 greatest moments in Hawkeye football/men's basketball history, group them into four regions, seed them one through sixteen, and have Hawkeye nation vote on the winners one matchup at a time until you have a champion.

We might want to go NIT rules and limit that to 32. The basketball program has been garbage for the better part of 20 years.

I like it. I'll start a separate thread for suggestions for 64 greatest moments recommendations.

Sorry to inform you that The Zoo no longer exists in Solon. In fact it hasn't for well over 20 years.

I think it's some kind of grocery store now. That's only fitting, for it had awesome produce back in the day if you know what I mean.

Latest posts