Couple things I noticed being at the game...

SpiderRico

1. JR gives up on the deep route almost immediately. Rather than waiting to see if the deep receiver can get open, it's like he focuses on a key immediately (ie safety drops) and won't even look to see if the receiver got separation (which they often did as the route developed).

2. We run almost NO combo routes.....meaning having routes where the receivers might cross which can have the potential to force the safety to choose the wrong receiver or possibly mix up the defense where they commit two guys to one leaving the other open.

3. We run zero stop and go's, counters, pick plays, etc where you can take advantage of a defense that is pursuing to keys or tendencies or over-pursuing in general.

4. As Jon has mentioned and I picked up on being there....when Jake checks at the line, it is to a run to the short side of the field EVERY SINGLE TIME. When Jake checked, ISU would shift to the short side of the field and stuff the play every time.

5. I'm sure it happened a few times, but I honestly can't recall pass plays where we would flood the middle of the field with slants, crosses, down-and-ins, posts, etc where we could get WRs matched up with LBs. Everything in the pass game was focused on the boundaries and ISU knew it.

6. It's very easy for a defense to load the box against us because they can kill two birds with one stone. They can take care of both the running game as well as all the short passes/check downs to the backs and TEs. As Jon mentioned in his podcast, it's like trying to operate in a phone booth.

after being at the game, it's obvious to a rank amateur like me that we have one of, if not THE, most unsophisticated offenses in college football....FCS included.

All great observations, Spider....so, what you're really saying is that Iowa's offense is like the flavor of vanilla......:)....hey, I did notice KF going for it on 4th down and converting, so maybe we're turning the tide a little.......ya, right...

1. JR gives up on the deep route almost immediately. Rather than waiting to see if the deep receiver can get open, it's like he focuses on a key immediately (ie safety drops) and won't even look to see if the receiver got separation (which they often did as the route developed).

This is because he has a candy arm. Guys with candy arms can't wait for deep patterns to get open because they don't have the strength to get the ball down the field without throwing the ball really early. Jake knows his limits. He either has to release the ball when the receiver is within 15 yards of the LOS or he won't be able to get the ball there. So, when he hits that point, the safeties most likely still are very much in position to make a play. Even if he trusted that the receiver would clear the safety, by throwing a soft ball early, it gives the safety enough time to react and chase down a ball without zip.

This is because he has a candy arm. Guys with candy arms can't wait for deep patterns to get open because they don't have the strength to get the ball down the field without throwing the ball really early. Jake knows his limits. He either has to release the ball when the receiver is within 15 yards of the LOS or he won't be able to get the ball there. So, when he hits that point, the safeties most likely still are very much in position to make a play. Even if he trusted that the receiver would clear the safety, by throwing a soft ball early, it gives the safety enough time to react and chase down a ball without zip.

We have one non con left and I think it is imperative that CJ plays the entire game. We need to see what he can do for a full game. To me, there is no difference in being 3-1 or 2-2. We can't be undefeated anymore, so KF needs to see CJ orchestrate an entire game. We need to get ready for the B1G and go for broke. After 3 games, at all of last season, I think we now know that JR isn't capable of stretching the field, consistently. Our running game needs deep completions to remove defenders from the box and less MW running sweeps. Plug in Daniels and Canzeri an live with it. MW is short yardage only.

If we don't make the B1G championship game, KF needs to be gone because, with the talent we have, it would be proof that KF's "system" is no longer able to direct Iowa to a championship.

Couple things I noticed from watching the game.
1. Our coaches are garbage and were outschemed every step of the way.
2. Our players are garbage. Scherff gives up multiple sacks to some nobody. Our WR are slow and can't seperate. Our d in general can't run with ISU, who doesn't have exceptional speed to big with. We couldn't run on the worst rushing D in the country.

I think jake has been coached into a lot of what he does. We need to use more 3 wr and 4 wr sets to give the running game space and use more play action passing. That is the type of deep passing jake can do.

I think jake has been coached into a lot of what he does. We need to use more 3 wr and 4 wr sets to give the running game space and use more play action passing. That is the type of deep passing jake can do.

I would agree with this and said as much after UNI game and since. JR cannot make the long throw, so he really doesn't even consider it and that is positively re-enforced by KF continuing to play him over CJ, almost exclusively.

Put Scherrf at qb for all I care. But whoever is back there needs to throw deep and connect 40% of them.

Sure makes you wonder what in the heck we are doing on offense. I told an ISU friend of mine before the game we will try to prove we can run and Jake won't be tossing the ball 50+ times. Sadly, we couldn't run or pass against this vaunted ISU defense.

To me it all comes down to QB play. He's being protected, receivers are open and he's not getting it done. As a result, teams are loading the box and flying downhill at the snap making nowhere to run the football. Until Iowa gets better play from the QB, this will be a grind. It's time to make a change and give someone else a shot with this offense because the current guy isn't getting it done.

There's almost no downside to throwing deep. If you connect it's jackpot. If you don't it gives the defense something to consider and opens up the run and underneath routes. If it's picked off it's like a punt.

Kurt and Derp Gregvis are fools.

There's almost no downside to throwing deep. If you connect it's jackpot. If you don't it gives the defense something to consider and opens up the run and underneath routes. If it's picked off it's like a punt.

Kurt and Derp Gregvis are fools.
This.

I would agree with this and said as much after UNI game and since. JR cannot make the long throw, so he really doesn't even consider it and that is positively re-enforced by KF continuing to play him over CJ, almost exclusively.

Put Scherrf at qb for all I care. But whoever is back there needs to throw deep and connect 40% of them.

Not even 40% is necessary. One or two in the first quarter would open things up considerably.

Some things I noticed as follows:

1. Bo Bower should've had that interception that went through his hands and would've ended the game.

2. Jake Rudock interception by Mutcherson didn't help. Should've put C.J. Beathard in after that mistake. He provides a spark on offense at QB.

3. The defensive line was a non factor through out the game. Need to develop more depth if they're going to be winded at the end.

4. The offensive line wasn't consistent in key situations. Need to blow your opponent of the line with who we have starting.

5. Need a breakaway RB to step up in this offense. The answer isn't Weisman or Bullock either. Canzeri, Daniels, Parker or Wadley need to take on that role. I don't know of either of them are home run threats. Maybe they are and we don't realize or know it.

6. Need a breakaway WR to step up in this offense. The answer isn't Martin-Manley either. Powell or Willies need to take on that role. Powell can fly along with Willies. Do we have any other WR's that can scoot?

7. Need a new coaching regime here. I'm tired of every team knowing what we're going to do on offense. Bob Stoops wanted the Hawkeye job, but Bob Bowlsby wanted to bring in other candidates. Now, look at where we're at with this program.

I'm frustrated with how we played against Iowa State & hope changes are made before we encounter another season like 2012.

We've played about 10 minutes of dynamic offense this year... the 4 minutes that CJ played QB and the last 6 minutes of the Ball State game.

How in the world can this offense be worse than it was 5 years ago? By keeping the same conservative philosophy that Kirk has always operated by and throwing play action out of the offense and inserting the garbage Davis offense.

We have one non con left and I think it is imperative that CJ plays the entire game. We need to see what he can do for a full game. To me, there is no difference in being 3-1 or 2-2. We can't be undefeated anymore, so KF needs to see CJ orchestrate an entire game. We need to get ready for the B1G and go for broke. After 3 games, at all of last season, I think we now know that JR isn't capable of stretching the field, consistently. Our running game needs deep completions to remove defenders from the box and less MW running sweeps. Plug in Daniels and Canzeri an live with it. MW is short yardage only.

If we don't make the B1G championship game, KF needs to be gone because, with the talent we have, it would be proof that KF's "system" is no longer able to direct Iowa to a championship.
This is exactly right. Give the Pitt game to CJ and see what he can do, because they really don't have anything to lose.

Also, why did both of our lines get pwned by these jokers?

Last edited:
This is exactly right. Give the Pitt game to CJ and see what he can do, because they really don't have anything to lose.

Also, why did both of our lines get pwned by these jokers?

Agree it's time for CJ and why did our lines look awful?
Sorry to say he won't put CJ in.

What I noticed yesterday was how completely stupid I am for even going to watch this ****.

Latest posts