Couple of observations....

Playmaker

One involving KF, and one involving me.

KF - I really think that he believes in his heart that winning is nothing more than proper execution and taking what you are instructed to do in practice to the field on Saturday. I really think he believes in his heart that his teams in 2002-2004, 2009 just executed better. The honest truth is that the talent level the last four (4) years specifically, sucks! And I could give a rats a** how many people KF sends to the Pro's....and quite frankly, I get kind of tired of people hanging on to this as a badge of honor and posting on here every time Ex-Hawk Joe Blow made 3 tackles for the Atlanta Falcons. GOOD FOR JOE BLOW, but that does not change in any way the current state of affairs of Iowa football. Bad coaching aside, lazy recruiting practices from the top down are the real culprit as to why we have become a laughingstock and lose 1 out of every 4 games when we are a 10+ point favorite.

Me - This involves apathy and my game watching practices here in Texas. Once was a time where when I got to the sports bar, I didn't want anyone talking to me during the game...as far as I was concerned, if someone wanted to talk about how well their kids was doing in school, then they needed to go outside at halftime and tell someone that cared. (Nothing against kids) NOW, it is about wondering who will show up at the game that I might get to visit with, or drinking some beer and playing a couple games of pool at halftime....it is NOT all about the game as it most definitely once was. During most games, I actually catch myself looking at my watch several times and wondering if I'll have time to get home and do some work in the yard. Very sad folks!!!

Last edited:
While it is nice for Iowa to get some players into the NFL, I am more concerned with how the Iowa TEAM does. How many players go on to the NFL is meaningless (to me).

Sure, KF believes he has a tried and true system for winning football that he instructs his staff to implement before the FIRST PRACTICE OF THE SEASON. KF thinks if the team loses, it's because the team (and coaching staff) have strayed from this tried and true formula for winning. Changes to the system are usually not tolerated and certainly not for long (see the second half of the Pitt game where Iowa ran no huddle, CJB's start against Purdue, and the second half of the Wisconsin game last week).

BTW, all those examples are offensive changes to KF's plan and I would editorialize KF knows next to nothing about offensive football.

Last edited:
For once i would like the hear kf explain his offensive philosphy. Kirk you are barely .500 in big games since 2007 . It. Ain't working no more. It's ok to get into high scorin affairs. You shoul try it.

I would like to hear his recruiting philosophies....more than anything though, I'd like Barta to have an open mic press conference just ONCE for the masses where anything is up for questioning.

I would like to hear his recruiting philosophies....more than anything though, I'd like Barta to have an open mic press conference just ONCE for the masses where anything is up for questioning.

I think you're reading into it too much...I think we are (for now - based on recent past) going to get the same type of kids....and again, for the most part, they can work out fine if just utilized more effectively.

If we played the same type of up tempo football that has been done so sparingly, but effectively (like 2nd half Wisky offense), we would look much better as an entertaining product and we would have the commensurate results...and our complaining would be in a different direction (ironically - recruiting probably). To me it is about figuring out how to most effectively play the decent talent we have.

For once i would like the hear kf explain his offensive philosphy. Kirk you are barely .500 in big games since 2007 . It. Ain't working no more. It's ok to get into high scorin affairs. You shoul try it.
It's conservative, predicable, and bland. It was when KOK was here, and it's even worse under Davis. The big issue is recruiting. The 1 and 2 star stories who develop into NFL caliber players isn't there anymore.

The fact of the matter is Ferentz caught lightning in a bottle for a few seasons and let the program slide. Things are boring and old now and the results speak for themselves.

Colorado - When you are trying to win on a national scale, you cannot win with marginal talent because the margin for error is razor thin. You have to be "on" for 12 games in a row....when you have real talent, you can win games with less than your best. Hell, Iowa is lucky to be "on" for 2 game in a row....so that means a loss to a good team and a coin flip to a bad team.

All the starters this year who have time left will be starters next year....#33 (Won't name player) will start all next season and underwhelm us to death....he turned his head and seemed to look away before contact on his first 7-8 carries Saturday...pretty much just laid down without making any attempt to change direction and pick up any additional yardage. This is what we will have at RB after ignoring the position for three (3) straight years in lieu of featuring a Fullback.

All the starters this year who have time left will be starters next year....#33 (Won't name player) will start all next season and underwhelm us to death....he turned his head and seemed to look away before contact on his first 7-8 carries Saturday...pretty much just laid down without making any attempt to change direction and pick up any additional yardage. This is what we will have at RB after ignoring the position for three (3) straight years in lieu of featuring a Fullback.

This is Spot on..

Its like the saying goes , its not about the Xs & Os as much as the Jimmy & Joes. Flat out we just need more talent and speed.

Me - This involves apathy and my game watching practices here in Texas. Once was a time where when I got to the sports bar, I didn't want anyone talking to me during the game...as far as I was concerned, if someone wanted to talk about how well their kids was doing in school, then they needed to go outside at halftime and tell someone that cared. (Nothing against kids) NOW, it is about wondering who will show up at the game that I might get to visit with, or drinking some beer and playing a couple games of pool at halftime....it is NOT all about the game as it most definitely once was. During most games, I actually catch myself looking at my watch several times and wondering if I'll have time to get home and do some work in the yard. Very sad folks!!!

So, if iowa was 10-1 right now (or whatever the magic record is to make them "good" this season), you'd go to a bar and sit like a sociopath while you stare intently at the game, either oblivious or combative to anyone wishing to discuss anything other than the game?

But, since we're 7-4 ... you wonder what people are going to show up so you can interact with them socially; you explore other hobbies and interests rather than obsessively staring at a television; you handle other responsibilities? AND you still watch the games?

I get that this year has been somewhat of a disappointment, and maybe I'm reading this wrong ... but it sounds like that has done you quite a bit of good.

these are the comments that make me laugh when i'm on HN. i seem to remember a time when all of HN was in an uproar because weisman WAS a fullback and only got his shot at RB because of injury. everyone blasted KF for "not recognizing the talent" and putting our best running back at fullback.

i also seem to remember everyone blasting KF last season for leaving canzeri on the bench even though he would come in during mop up duty and gash a few solid runs. now all of the sudden he's not very good?

HN is bi-polar

these are the comments that make me laugh when i'm on HN. i seem to remember a time when all of HN was in an uproar because weisman WAS a fullback and only got his shot at RB because of injury. everyone blasted KF for "not recognizing the talent" and putting our best running back at fullback.

i also seem to remember everyone blasting KF last season for leaving canzeri on the bench even though he would come in during mop up duty and gash a few solid runs. now all of the sudden he's not very good?

HN is bi-polar

Are you certain Playmaker was one of those people compaining about Weisman 3 years ago? If not, it's kinda unfair to call an entire websight bi-polar because 1 person has a different opinion than someone else.

It's also possible to have a different opinion 3 years later on the subject. That's how I feel. I think 3 years ago Weisman was our best option due to injuries and defections. If he's still the best option 3 years later, which I don't think he is, that is extremely bad recruiting and development.

I'm pretty sure Weisman has a career long of 38 yards (not 100% certain on that but it's close either way). There is just no way that gets it done over the course of 3 years.

He'll be the starter for one game, and then get hurt. Forcing us to use some walk on because Wadly/Parker will still have fumble issues, or hurt.

I think Daniels transfers. He gets a TD on his first carry of the year, has limited role from that point on....misses a block....then gets hurt. He's still got his redshirt, so I think he's gone.

Which also brings up another thought.....what was the point of the RB rotation earlier in the year? We were literally subbing a new RB after each carry. MW for a carry of 3 yards, then Canzeri comes in, the Bullock...then MW....then Daniels....then MW...

Part of the reason we never got the ground game going was because we had the worst idea for using our RB's I've ever seen.

He'll be the starter for one game, and then get hurt. Forcing us to use some walk on because Wadly/Parker will still have fumble issues, or hurt.

I think Daniels transfers. He gets a TD on his first carry of the year, has limited role from that point on....misses a block....then gets hurt. He's still got his redshirt, so I think he's gone.

Which also brings up another thought.....what was the point of the RB rotation earlier in the year? We were literally subbing a new RB after each carry. MW for a carry of 3 yards, then Canzeri comes in, the Bullock...then MW....then Daniels....then MW...

Part of the reason we never got the ground game going was because we had the worst idea for using our RB's I've ever seen.

Hard to think he transfers with his brother becoming a Hawk next year and having the chance to run behind your brother blocking for you. As for the rotation earlier in the year, I agree. I don't think it was the sole problem with the running game, but it definitely compounded the problem.

Last edited:

Latest posts