could these 100 squat

lightning1

work outs be the culprit behind all of the lower leg injuries our players end up with?
Especially the RBs?
Lots of ACLs, ankle sprains, etc...
I always thought we had more than most programs. Seriously, how many other programs can you name that have gone thru 4 RBs in one season?
How is it Tony Moeaki cant make it thru 1 season at Iowa but he can make it thru a whole season in the NFL?

Yes, I also believe they are the reason for the DUI checkpoints after the games and the economy being in the *******.

Its not a valid question?
Spend much time in a weight room, have you?

I think it's a stupid question, thought that was pretty obvious from my sarcastic response.

Not sure what your second comment means but i'll humor you. No I haven't spent too much time in the weight room. My workouts usually consist of 30-60 min of cardio, some ab work and 3-5 basic lifts. I'm usually only hitting the weights for 15 minutes. Not sure what that has to do with this.

work outs be the culprit behind all of the lower leg injuries our players end up with?
Especially the RBs?
I always thought we had more than most programs. Seriously, how many other programs can you name that have gone thru 4 RBs in one season?
How is it Tony Moeaki cant make it thru 1 season at Iowa but he can make it thru a whole season in the NFL?

Given what my son's orthopedic surgeon told us, regarding lifting during his rehab from knee surgery, I'd be shocked if there is any correlation. The only correlation would be if someone had a pre-existing condition that would cause them to be more prone to an injury of that sort than someone else.

I like to consider myself a weightlifter..grew up in the environment..lift 6 days a week..44 y.o...brother competed in natural bodybuilding contests..The only way I can see squats contributing to leg injuries is if there is an imbalance between working quads way too much in comparison to hamstrings..you'd have a strength imbalance in the knee joint which could contribute to injury but this is basic stuff..would be beyond belief for this to happen at this level..FWIW

Especially the RBs?
Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure that all the medical professionals working in those large buildings next to Kinnick never thought of this.

And your going to use the experience of one player (Moeaki) as evidence? How about looking at Sanders', Greenway's, and Edds' NFL injuries in comparison to their UofI injuries?

And your going to use the experience of one player (Moeaki) as evidence? How about looking at Sanders', Greenway's, and Edds' NFL injuries in comparison to their UofI injuries?

Especially since that one player never had an acl injury or even an ankle sprain. I don't think concussions, or broken feet, or broken wrists are a result of squats.

Hawkeyes' Moeaki hopes bad injury luck is over

I also don't think Coker's broken collarbone or Arob's concussions can be blamed on squats. :rolleyes:

You guys may think its a stupid question but I can assure you that squats put a lot of strain on the knee ligaments and tendons.
I've probably spent more time in the weight room than most of the guys on this site. I can tell you for a fact that muscle fatigue leads to improper form. Improper form can lead to all kinds of structural problems in the knee.
Anyone here that thinks you WONT be experiencing muscle fatigue somewhere south of 100 squats, has never done any.
I also know that there is a point that you are doing more damage to your muscles, than you are building them.
I would think brown urine and poisonous toxins in the bloodstream falls under that guideline.

I see an awful lot of smart remarks from posters and very little knowledge of weight training.
Anyone want to have this debate? Bring it.

You guys may think its a stupid question but I can assure you that squats put a lot of strain on the knee ligaments and tendons.
I've probably spent more time in the weight room than most of the guys on this site. I can tell you for a fact that muscle fatigue leads to improper form. Improper form can lead to all kinds of structural problems in the knee.
Anyone here that thinks you WONT be experiencing muscle fatigue somewhere south of 100 squats, has never done any.
I also know that there is a point that you are doing more damage to your muscles, than you are building them.
I would think brown urine and poisonous toxins in the bloodstream falls under that guideline.

I see an awful lot of smart remarks from posters and very little knowledge of weight training.

If doing squats in January leave your muscles fatigued in August and September, you are doing something terribly wrong.

Your "smoking gun" was Moeaki, but he never had an injury like you described. Doesn't really work well for your conclusion.

Your side of the "debate" might have more merit if you were able to provide anything other than anecdotal proof that these injuries were occurring with a higher frequency at Iowa than other schools.

If they are getting hurt, meaning the knee injuries, in the weight room, then you have a point. If they're getting hurt on the football field itself, then no, there's most likely no correlation, except in the instances I've specified earlier.

And yes, I have spent a ton of time in the weight room, and am, in fact, trained in supervising and planning fitness training. That's above and beyond normal "how to run PT" blocks you get at NCOES courses.

If doing squats in January leave your muscles fatigued in August and September, you are doing something terribly wrong.

Suppose you have a minor strain of a tendon or ligament. Its hard to diagnose because of the extreme soreness associated with the work outs.
You work thru it and deal with the soreness as part of the program of playing college sports. It never heals properly because you never allowed it to. Then 1 good hit finishes it off, even if its 6 months after the fact.
I'm not surprised you didnt read my post carefully. Your interpretation of muscle fatigue meaning the same as structural damage, tells me a lot.

Next question or accusation? Anyone?
I'll spend all day educating anyone that wants to jump in my bunk, like I dont have a clue what I am talking about.

Your side of the "debate" might have more merit if you were able to provide anything other than anecdotal proof that these injuries were occurring with a higher frequency at Iowa than other schools.

I dont have anecdotal proof. I am using the unusually high number of leg injuries to Iowa FB players.

I am not claiming that ITS A FACT. I simply posed the question.

I dont have anecdotal proof. I am using the unusually high number of leg injuries to Iowa FB players.

I am not claiming that ITS A FACT. I simply posed the question.

Again, without comparison to other programs, it's silly to even ask the question.

Suppose you have a minor strain of a tendon or ligament. Its hard to diagnose because of the extreme soreness associated with the work outs.
You work thru it and deal with the soreness as part of the program of playing college sports. It never heals properly because you never allowed it to. Then 1 good hit finishes it off, even if its 6 months after the fact.
I'm not surprised you didnt read my post carefully. Your interpretation of muscle fatigue meaning the same as structural damage, tells me a lot.

Next question or accusation? Anyone?
I'll spend all day educating anyone that wants to jump in my bunk, like I dont have a clue what I am talking about.

A minor strain of a knee ligament is not going to make it more likely to tear six months later. If you are going to do the kind of damage to a joint while lifting that you are talking about, you will know it then. Not wait six months to find out.

If they are getting hurt, meaning the knee injuries, in the weight room, then you have a point. If they're getting hurt on the football field itself, then no, there's most likely no correlation, except in the instances I've specified earlier.

And yes, I have spent a ton of time in the weight room, and am, in fact, trained in supervising and planning fitness training. That's above and beyond normal "how to run PT" blocks you get at NCOES courses.

See: Jewel Hampton

Minor injuries that occur in the weight room can easily be over looked and then become a bigger problem when contact is applied.
I can tell you this from first hand experience from a torn ACL. Know exactly when I strained it, almost 1 year before it tore.

Again, without comparison to other programs, it's silly to even ask the question.

OK, Name 1 other D-1 football program that had 4 RBs with torn ACLs in the same season.
There are 12 players in the hospital. Its never silly to ask these kinds of questions.

Last edited:

Latest posts