Could the Iowa football program end up better from this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1DieHardHawk

Many are predicting doom and gloom for the program right now, and while it's certainly possible that heads could roll and the program ends up in the dumpster, there also exists a path where the Iowa football program actually ends up better for the experience.

It sounds paradoxical, but ironically it happens all of the time in various walks of life. It all depends upon how the program reacts and responds, but the opportunity is there.

We already are seeing signs:

Players thus far seem genuinely optimistic at the early changes, and are preaching togetherness and a collective resolve to make things better. The formation of an advisory council headed by Mike Daniels was a solid step, and Kirk seems to be experiencing an awakening of sorts. The genuineness of his actions can and will be debated, and there will be those that propose that his actions are purely defensive in nature, but my take is that he genuinely wants to make it work.

Other than Doyle (and that's completely understandable), no players have jumped ship since the allegations came out. It could still happen, but, honestly, I thought we would see at least 4 or 5 enter the transfer portal last week. I also thought we would see several recruits back out of their verbal commitments. Neither happened. Yes, it's still early, but the fact that the program didn't experience a mass exodus is very telling...and encouraging.

A staff shake-up is almost certain. There is a lot of speculation, but no one knows how it will play out. That said, two things would surprise me heading into the season - Doyle is on the staff and/or Kirk isn't. Beyond that? Who knows. My guess is that the remaining staff will be required to undergo some type of cultural sensitivity training, and BF and Wallace will face some type of disciplinary action and be required to issue statements about their dedication to change.

Ultimately, I wouldn't be shocked at all if the majority of the former players that came forth and expressed their concerns end up issuing statements (either individually or collectively) in support of the changes and the program in general. Personally, I'd love to see that, as it would represent fairly convincing evidence that a healing process has begun and that the program is on the right track.

Absolutely could improve. Especially if talented black athletes like DJ Johnson stay in Iowa city. I worry about recruiting, but winning games recruits better than anything.

I realize I sound like a broken record but it comes down to what happens to Brian and if Doyle wants to bury the program on his way out the door.

I realize I sound like a broken record but it comes down to what happens to Brian and if Doyle wants to bury the program on his way out the door.

Yeah this still the dark cloud over the program. Doyle can't stay and seems so delusional right that that he may even actually believe he's done nothing wrong. It could take a ton of money to get him to go quietly.

And who knows with Brian? Seems like a typical hot head, entitled, rich suburb kid. The don't tend to take responsibility for anything or handle discipline very well.

It's hard to say what will happen with Doyle, but I'd be surprised if he tried to take Kirk and the ship down with him out of resentment or vindictiveness. It certainly could happen, and I have no doubt that he will try to paint a better picture of himself, but he just doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. Plus, I'm sure he realizes that any decision to let him go will come from above Kirk. It's hard to envision him torpedoing his fellow coaches.

Also it could be years before this is all over. Every day someone else comes out of the woodwork with another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts